Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resize both up and down

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Guys, if I get a hat that is size 59, is it feasible for me to adjust it with some internal padding or whatever to fit my 57 head?
All advice ASAP greatly appreciated, thanks!

It is quite feasible to put some cork, felt or cork backed felt behind the sweatband to make it fit better.
I just got in two hats that were so "adjusted". One had a piece of felt behind the sweatband and the other had folded up tissue! I got my hands on the felt piece again and took this picture so you can see what was used.

Picture057.jpg

Regards to all,

J

android

One of the Regulars
Fly to Japan and back and put your hat in the overhead compartment with the blankets. It shrunk my hat at least a size.

Danosaurus

New in Town
Mr. Sable said:
What is the lampshade trick?

The lampshade trick is to wet the inside of the sweatband (the rough side, not the side that touches yer noggin) and then place the hat on top of a lamp. The idea is that the heat from the lightbulb dries the leather and it shrinks. Be careful not to leave it on too long, since it might shrink too much...try only a few minutes at first, try it on, and if it's still too big give it a few more minutes. You might also want to put something like a small towel in the crown to protect the liner, especially if it has a plastic protector.

Use EXTREME CARE with the lampshade trick, you could ruin yer lid!

Good luck!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thanks, Sable.

Also, for the lampshade trick, only use a lightbulb at MAXIMUM WATTAGE OF 60 WATTS. Any higher and you'll start to melt the hairs in the felt from the heat. That's direct from Fedora when he replied to that question on COW.

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
hot pocket fedora

Hmmm.. .I ended up doing something similar with an old fedora...

but I soaked up the headband and put into the microwave for 1 minute, wetted it again and put it in for another 2 minutes and did that for 2 more times and then threw it into the freezer for about 5 minutes... :eek:

I know, I know.. but it actually fits pretty good now.. [angel]

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I tried the lampshade trick (as described by Danosaurus) with my Adventurebilt and it worked like a charm! Now rather than my head fitting inside it like a clapper in a bell, now it fits perfectly! Thanks for saving me from sending it all the way back to Steve in Mississippi from Western Canada for a refit! :fedora:

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
You know, Sable, you could've tried swelling your head, too. That way you wouldn't have needed to shrink your hat. ;) How loose a fit was your AB and how long did you leave it on the lampshade? My AB could be just a tad more snug (though it really doesn't bother me that much) yet I'm weary of trying the lampshade trick for fear of doing something bad to it. Did it affect the taper or shape of your hat at all?

bink

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
If putting your hat over a light bulb makes you nervous, you can get the same results by wetting the sweatband and then drying it with a hair dryer. Wet leather + heat = shrinkage no matter how it's done.

fedoralover

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
binkmeisterRick said:
You know, Sable, you could've tried swelling your head, too. That way you wouldn't have needed to shrink your hat. ;) How loose a fit was your AB and how long did you leave it on the lampshade? ... I'm wary of trying the lampshade trick for fear of doing something bad to it. Did it affect the taper or shape of your hat at all?

The hat was quite loose when I got it. It rested on my ears, so I'd put strips of foam between the liner and sweatband to keep it up, which altered the shape of the lid a bit - sort of gave it a twist.

It's funny, because at first, it appeared as though nothing had happened when I used the lampshade trick. So, all disappointed, I went to work (wearing the hat down to my ears). The hat sat on top of my desk all day and when I put it on to leave, I thought, "Jebbus, my head must've swollen from this headache I have." (I live in a place that has weird weather conditions in the winter; pressure fluctuates wildly through the day giving some people headaches or a 'fluffy' disoriented feeling, so it was entirely conceivable that my head was 'puffy'. Or maybe I was just disoriented. ;) Anyway, it turned out the leather band had just more thoroughly dried and shrunk.

The shape of the hat didn't change a bit, nor did it taper. Also, there was no damage to the felt or anything from being heated. ALTHOUGH, the water did get up in the liner and stain it a bit - I probably moistened sweat residue and slashed it into the liner. No big deal. The felt looks fine and is unmarked.

If you need to tighen your Adventurebilt, go ahead with this, but do it a tiny bit at a time. A little water on the sweat (maybe put a towel inside the crown so you don't stain the liner, like I did - it will probably protect the felt as well.) and heat it a few minutes at a time; like 5-10 minutes, I'd guess). Doing that incrementally should help you get the right fit. Though from my experience, the leather took a night and a day to dry thoroughly, so don't get over anxious and try to do it all in one shot.

I hope that helps.

Canadave

One Too Many

I think if I ever need to shrink a hat just a bit (like that would ever happen :rolleyes: ), I would wet the sweat, but not apply any heat at first. Just let it air dry. Wet leather does shrink a bit on it's own.

Mr. Sable said:
...I live in a place that has weird weather conditions in the winter; pressure fluctuates wildly through the day...

That wouldn't be due to the chinooks, would it? ;)

David

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Tighten up just a little.

I am fairly new to this site and so I am VERY reluctant to post ANY advice to anyone about hats. Basically, I just wear them until I wear them out. I have worn out 2 Akubra Snowy River Hats, both of them were Sz 59 which is my normal size, and both were too large. It was a combination of the short crown height, and just the hat I guess. I padded sweatband, etc. etc. After a shortime, having been out in the rain and sun, it had shrunken down to where I had to pull it on to get it to stay. Again, amateur advice, get the felt wet (yes it will lose some stiffness), and then let the sun dry it for you. Anybody find any fault with the natural cure? Its kind of like a pair of blue jeans that you want to fit, buyem large and dry them on your backside. Just my unsolicited opinion, I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana