Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of Logan's Closet Wild One jacket?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone ever purchased the Vanson-made Brando Wild One jacket from Logan? I've seen it at the Vanson factory but they don't let me touch it...

body length, mobility? thanks!

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
They wouldn't let you touch it?
I have one direct from Vanson and it's very good. If the price is right get it. My experience of Logan is they over price. These come up on eBay regularly at $400 ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

regius

They wouldn't let you touch it?
I have one direct from Vanson and it's very good. If the price is right get it. My experience of Logan is they over price. These come up on eBay regularly at $400 ish.

direct from vanson? you could do that?

regius

Yes , just search Vanson Leathers and visit their site...cheers.

Please elaborate. I don't think Vanson site list this kind of private label projects. All of their brando style jackets are their standard offerings.

regius

wondering if anyone could suggest how to get one of these? after the previous post I drove to Vanson, they said only through Logan can they make it as it's almost like his intellectual property, i.e. Vanson cannot just modify their current template (most likely the Thunderbird).

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
Vanson regularly makes "private label" patterns for a number of resellers including Logan's closet. And they will do quite a bit of customizations for those resellers, but not usually for the general public. That keeps their workflow nice and tidy, I guess. Been wearing Vansons for years and, for motorcycle riding and racing, their jackets are matchless in my book. But their customer service leaves much to be desired. Just not where their focus is.

I haven't seen the jacket you are talking about but there are many out there that mimic the original Schotts from The Wild One. Personally, I've been itching for a Thunderbird myself for many years.

If you want a jacket customized to your liking, try Thurston Bros. I've dealt with them myself and they are very good on the customer service end. And from what they told me, they can get a lot of customizations out of Vanson. Will cost you. And it will take some time, but you'll get exactly what you want. Otherwise, keep an eye on the Bay and see if one of those Logans comes up.

regius

SkyTurtle, thank you!! The Vanson's Wild One is essentially a Thunderbird, with a separate lower back panel carved out and a longer sleeve zip, and a red lining. I wonder if I approach Vanson to custom order a T bird with these changes specified, will they realized "wait a minute?!!" or just follow my lead and churn out a Logan's Wild One? hmm, worth a try.

regius

By the way the original movie jacket was in fact a Durable, I once had one, it's not Schott. The tell tale sign is the lapel design (the long sleeve zip and where it's located can be sorta mimcked easily). another sign is the double back It's a "C" action back, the pleat curved around the rear armhole, but Schott Perfectos always have the Straight action back.

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
Anything is worth a try. Like they say, you don't ask, you don't get, right? That jacket sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking they might be able to do those mods for you. I know they can do a lot of stuff through their Repair service. I like the red lining. If not, give Thurston a call and see what they'd charge for it. Carrie was who I talked with.

Thanks for the correction on the Durable being the actual Wild One jacket. I've heard more than once that Schott didn't make that jacket, but they still say it was theirs. You're not the first person I've heard point out very specific details that don't line up so I'm convinced now! Good luck with the custom Vanson!

regius

another tell tale sign is the width of the belt loop, Schott folds a 1 inch strip of leather in half, the brando jacket loop was folded on both edges. I have the 100 years of American original book next to me and a colored photo of the wild one took up a whole page, magnifying all the evidence that it's not a Schott, jeez...

Edward

Bartender
Wonder if it would be worth approaching Aero if you have no joy with Vanson? Aero made the jacket for the Brando figure in Madam Tussauds, London, way back when. I think their currect Perfecto-type is more based on an original Schott, but if they are easy and aren't tweaks that involve a whole new pattern, they might be persuaded. Asking nicely can't hurt... (I'm also always hoping they'll add a Durable repop to the line, the way they have the Indian model and the Buco-types).

The other maker I can think of that migtht be worth approaching is Johnson in SF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ