Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding/adventure boots?

Kodiak

A-List Customer

Zach R.

Practically Family
Motor Cowboy makes boots to any specifications, they even make movie-related boots(from Superman to Han Solo and everything in between).

They are pretty pricey too, but I don't think I've ever found a good pair of riding boots under 220.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Feraud said:

No, no. Like these.

Martinism.jpg

They're called field boots or Strathcona boots, after the boots worn Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), and now worn by the RCMP.

Baggers

Practically Family
I've been watching What Price Glory's web site for these, but there's no telling when he'll finally get them in. I've seen similar boots being worn by British officers and also by one of the archeologist types in another thread on this forum. At least he has the breeches to go with them already in stock.

The Magnoli boots look great too, but I agree Kodiak, a bit too dear for my purposes at this point.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
WPG does have some of the M1940 boots, in sizes 8, 11.5, 12, 13, 14. They still run $295, though. Better off spending the extra $50 and getting a pair custom for you made by Magnoli.

Be patient, though, I got mine for $50 on eBay. *ducks thrown stones, bottles, old boots*

They are out there, though! You'll probably have to fight off a few other FLoungers that I know of, but they're out there!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Jacks right. Look at ebay, People call them all kinds of things, riding boots, cavalry boots, officer boots. I just missed out on a pair because I really wanted brown and the ones I was watching were black. Be prepaired to bid though. I went upt to $235 on a pair of Abercrombies with the 3 buckle and was still outbid by like $50. I'm going to start looking at boot repair places for stuff people never picked up.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
clevispin said:
Clevis, great site. I really like the pebbled texture on that first pair.

The mountie boots typically have a longer laced area at the instep than most of the boots worn by military officers. I've seen photos of Mounties with the shorter laced area, so it wasn't universal, but I've never seen a military offcier with the longer laced area. I think that was a feature favored by the RCMP. Somehting to be aware of when you are looking, depending on if you want them for a uniform or just for general wear.

You can also find Aggie senior boots on eBay from time to time. They are also a traditional cavalry boot, but they lack the lacing at the instep or at the top outside of the boot. A word of warning: they are expensive! They can get up to around $1000 for a pair of boots! And a pair of boots they only get to wear for a year! Wow! That's like $2.75/day for the privelege of wearing cool boots!

srboots-sm.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
...They can get up to around $1000 for a pair of boots! And a pair of boots they only get to wear for a year! Wow! That's like $2.75/day for the privelege of wearing cool boots!

srboots-sm.jpg

What can I say, they're Aggies. 'nuff said. ;)

BTW, I've been thinking about what you wrote regarding the relative costs between Magnoli's and WPG's boots, and you're probably right. And also, Magnoli's would be custom fitted as opposed to taking a chance with Jerry's "off the rack" sizing which for me can be hit or miss with regards to his footwear.

Cheers!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Thanks for all of the help. Having read up on these boots, I do think I will either stick with the Corcoran boots or try to find a pair of these on eBay for cheap.

Thanks again!

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
I ride horses,and prefer a mix of vintage western and english dress,i wear vintage breeches and Dehner 3 strap boots.
I own 5 pairs of real Boots Field,Legging Top,Model 1940
The Dehners set me back about $900 and the average price of vintage US cavalry boots is about $250 for a human size
If you intend to ride its an investment if you want costume boots the Magnolis seem like a bargain
Hope this helps
Sam
[EDIT: Links removed because they were not working.]

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those boots are amazing. Although they are so CLEAN! I am sure they'll get better with age and patinas of polish. They would look especially strong with a matching belt.
The khaki breeches are nice too.

Baggers

Practically Family
I have just the belt, but the buckle hardware is a bit of a squeeze through the loops on the breeches, I didn't want to risk tearing anything. When I take more more shots over the weekend I'll see if I can get it to work.

The last is a bit snug around the toes, but I've got thickish socks on and the leather should stretch over time. I'm also going to have to trim off the excess on the straps across the shafts. My legs are a bit in the "boney" side, so they're snugged up about as far as they'll go. But you're right, once I get some wear on them and a few coats of polish, they'll look marvelous.

The breeches are repro 1930s era U.S. Army. They have a double layer of fabric for the kneepads, a watch pocket and two simple unflapped, unbuttoned back pockets. Construction and fit are quite good.

I'm also wearing a pair of repro cavalry spurs. I don't know what the heck I'll do with them as I haven't owned a horse in twenty years and didn't use them when I did ride, but they do look cool, don't they? :)

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB