Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding/adventure boots?

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Clevis, great site. I really like the pebbled texture on that first pair.

The mountie boots typically have a longer laced area at the instep than most of the boots worn by military officers. I've seen photos of Mounties with the shorter laced area, so it wasn't universal, but I've never seen a military offcier with the longer laced area. I think that was a feature favored by the RCMP. Somehting to be aware of when you are looking, depending on if you want them for a uniform or just for general wear.

You can also find Aggie senior boots on eBay from time to time. They are also a traditional cavalry boot, but they lack the lacing at the instep or at the top outside of the boot. A word of warning: they are expensive! They can get up to around $1000 for a pair of boots! And a pair of boots they only get to wear for a year! Wow! That's like $2.75/day for the privelege of wearing cool boots!

srboots-sm.jpg

Are the boots that cheaply made that they cannot be resoled? I've had my good quality boots resoled again and again. The only boots usually made to such poor standards that they cannot be resoled are munitions grade boots which have rubber soles and rubber insoles as well. Those are usually not even available. I know that you can even have Devon Aire munitions grade boots resoled though they have rubber soles. My brother got his repaired like that when the soles wore out before.

HatRak

Familiar Face
To clarify: The high, equestrian-style boot is worn as a part of the uniform of members of the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University (Aggies). They are not permitted to wear these boots until they have passed their final review in their junior year. Wearing the boots is a sign of pride and accomplishment but lasts only for their senior year. The boots are available through two approved vendors, both of whom produce boots of exceptional quality. Well cared for, they will last the better part of the owners life.

Horseman978

New in Town
I just got my package from What Price Glory today, and here are his Patton style riding boots and khaki breeches.

PattonBoots01.jpg

Just the job, don't ya think?

Cheers!

Very cool picture!! I ride with a Cavalry horse troop here in Massachusetts, and this picture pretty much encompasses what our uniforms look like. In fact, we use the same riding breeches from What Price Glory as shown here. They're super comfortable to wear and a total pleasure to ride in!!

As for the boots, I'm currently using the Dehner 3-Buckle boots. I had looked at others -- Hispar and Motorcowboy, to name a few -- but wasn't too thrilled on the construction quality (guess it ultimately depends on application?!). I got a good price on a custom-fitted pair, so I figured ... why not?! Realize this post is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I might post some pics of my uniform if anyone's still interested?!

-Bill AKA Horseman

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB