• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

RIP Land Rover Defender

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Tiki Tom, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

I've seen AC cars and I've even sat in a Bristol but what is an AC Bristol?

One starts to wonder about all those old cars found in barns after a while, especially the ones with Rolls Royce's. However, my late father-in-law had an ancient Ford Ranch Wagon (from late 1950s), a first version Corvair (a really efficient car, he loved to say), a 1929 Ford (second-owner, he was) and at one time, a Ford Cortina, the only one I was really interested in. He also had an airplane (a Culver Cadet) in his basement when I met my wife. Now, someone with a disassembled airplane in his basement was bound to be an interesting person and he was.

Mr. Godfrey likes this.
  2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

Not to change the subject or anything, but what do you suppose the Land-Rovers in British service will be replaced with?

3. IMG_2365.JPG IMG_2366.JPG

My GSL told me that when he and his wife first started scouts he brought a military Land Rover ambulance that was used to lug the camp equipment around in and that his wife would use the bed and heater. Not sure that's what I would class as camping but I guess it allowed the scouts to be able to camp. They have a Rangerover now but use the tents.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. How 68 years made difference to the world.

IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG

And the very last one
    IMG_2370.JPG

MisterCairo and Oldsarge like this.
  5. Oh I do hope the British Army doesn't decide to go with HumVees! Ghastly things.

Bushman likes this.
  6. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

Unlikely, although the Humvee was produced in large numbers. The problem these days is that nobody wants a simple basic little vehicle like the original Jeep or Kubelwagen. The "Jeep" (it was a Ford and sounded like a Pinto) that was in use in the 60s, the M151, was pretty simple and very much like the wartime Jeep. That was what was replaced by the Humvee. Everyone wants to keep adding stuff to the basic vehicles and the smaller vehicles aren't up to the task. There was even a heavy-duty Land-Rover that the British Army used and still does. But users want something that will carry armor, a mounted weapon, pull a trailer and so on. But I guess that's okay. When I was in the army, the M151 was not my favorite vehicle.

7. I didn't mind the M151 but had little good to say about the HumVee. I suppose that if you were driving it over open, rough terrain it does its job but the blamed thing is so wide that it is very difficult to negotiate streets in. Every time I tried to turn right, I ran over the curb.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Mr. Godfrey, Tiki Tom and MisterCairo like this.
  8. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

I was in one Duluth Trading company's stores yesterday and they had a WWII Jeep and trailer right inside the front door. I think the older Banana Republic stores did, too. It's really a basic vehicle. Bare bones, you might say. I don't think it was the first attempt at a light utility vehicle. Regular production line vehicles were widely used by all armies in WWII and continued to be at least down to the time I was in the army in the late 1960s. Can't speak with any authority after about 1975. Our division headquarters company had a Chevy sedan that even went to the field with us. We also had an Airstream trailer. In the states, commercial vehicles were sometimes used in preference to tactical vehicles, presumably because they were less expensive. When the unit I was with returned to the states, we had Jeep pickups.

I still think the older Land-Rovers were perfect for military use.