Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rue's Movie Picks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Our wonderful, beautiful Rue seems to have a knack for harvesting great Golden Era films from YouTube. She says it's a gift....:rolleyes:

In any event, I'm fearful that her efforts have been overlooked......so.....I had the thought that this could be the depository. If she's willing....

rue

I started this thread and got a lot of great suggestions which started me on the hunt for movies that Netflix didn't carry.

So anyway, here's what I've found so far on YouTube:

• People Will Talk (1951) with Cary Grant. Absolutely loved it. It started slow, but at the end I just wanted to watch it all over again.
  • My Man Godfrey (1936) with William Powell and Carole Lombard. This one is now another beloved movie on my list of favorites
  • Stage Door (1937) with Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball, Ann Miller, Gail Patrick, and Eve Arden. I loved it A LOT.
  • No Man of Her Own (1932) Good movie, but I could watch 2 hours of Clark Gable walking around a room and nothing else, so maybe I'm a bit biased
  • The Mating Season (1951) Cute movie with Gene Tierney, but Thelma Ritter steals the show.
  • Easy Living (1937) Loved this movie with Jean Arthur.
  • The Thin Man (1934) Great movie
  • Midnight (1939) A really cute comedy starring Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche.
  • Small Town Girl (1936) Really really cute movie
  • Lucky Night (1939) with Myrna Loy and Robert Taylor. Loved it.
  • Take A Letter Darling (1942) with Rosalind Russell and Fred MacMurray.
  • If you could only cook (1935) with Herbert Marshall and Jean Arthur.
  • The doctor takes a Wife (1940) with Loretta Young and Ray Milland.
  • Imitation of Life (1935) with Claudette Colbert. Great movie, but very sad
  • Sitting pretty (1938) with Maureen O'Hara, Robert Young and Clifton Webb. Really cute movie
  • The Egg and I (1947) with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray. This is the movie that started the Ma and Pa Kettle series.
  • The More The Merrier (1943) with Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea and Charles Coburn. Really sweet movie.
  • Tomorrow Is Forever (1946) with Claudette Corbert, Orson Welles and George Brent. Absolute heart wrenching movie, but very good.
  • A Letter to Three Wives (1949) with Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnel and Ann Sothern. Very interesting movie.
  • Love is News (1937) with Tyrone Power, Loretta Young and Don Ameche. Really cute and funny.
  • My Bill (1938) with Kay Francis. Absolutely darling movie with a great ending.

I'll add more as I find and watch them :)

I started this thread and got a lot of great suggestions which started me on the hunt for movies that Netflix didn't carry.

So anyway, here's what I've found so far on YouTube:

• People Will Talk (1951) with Cary Grant. Absolutely loved it. It started slow, but at the end I just wanted to watch it all over again.
  • My Man Godfrey (1936) with William Powell and Carole Lombard. This one is now another beloved movie on my list of favorites
  • Stage Door (1937) with Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball, Ann Miller, Gail Patrick, and Eve Arden. I loved it A LOT.
  • No Man of Her Own (1932) Good movie, but I could watch 2 hours of Clark Gable walking around a room and nothing else, so maybe I'm a bit biased
  • The Mating Season (1951) Cute movie with Gene Tierney, but Thelma Ritter steals the show.
  • Easy Living (1937) Loved this movie with Jean Arthur.
  • The Thin Man (1934) Great movie
  • Midnight (1939) A really cute comedy starring Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche.
  • Small Town Girl (1936) Really really cute movie
  • Lucky Night (1939) with Myrna Loy and Robert Taylor. Loved it.
  • Take A Letter Darling (1942) with Rosalind Russell and Fred MacMurray.
  • If you could only cook (1935) with Herbert Marshall and Jean Arthur.
  • The doctor takes a Wife (1940) with Loretta Young and Ray Milland.
  • Imitation of Life (1935) with Claudette Colbert. Great movie, but very sad
  • Sitting pretty (1938) with Maureen O'Hara, Robert Young and Clifton Webb. Really cute movie
  • The Egg and I (1947) with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray. This is the movie that started the Ma and Pa Kettle series.
  • The More The Merrier (1943) with Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea and Charles Coburn. Really sweet movie.
  • Tomorrow Is Forever (1946) with Claudette Corbert, Orson Welles and George Brent. Absolute heart wrenching movie, but very good.
  • A Letter to Three Wives (1949) with Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnel and Ann Sothern. Very interesting movie.
  • Love is News (1937) with Tyrone Power, Loretta Young and Don Ameche. Really cute and funny.
  • My Bill (1938) with Kay Francis. Absolutely darling movie with a great ending.

I'll add more as I find and watch them :)

My Man Godfrey was hilarious. :p

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I wonder how some of those manage to remain available on YouTube. EASY LIVING, for example, is available on DVD, and I'm surprised Universal has allowed it to remain up at Youtube.

It's a wonderful movie, written by the great Preston Sturges, and is best seen, as are most movies (especially comedies), on a big screen in the company of an appreciative audience. But it's well worth seeing any way one can.

rue

They're mostly in code, so they can't be easily found. I just click on random movies and see what it is.
I wish I could see all these movies on the big screen, but sadly we don't have a theater close by that plays them :(

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Thank so much, Rue. Just clicking on the uploaders alone is revealing a treasure trove I hadn't found before. I thought I'd try a couple codes hoping they'd been uploaded... no such luck yet. lol No CH1 for Cry Havoc or PWH for Proudly We Hail. But what great finds are there!

rue

rue

Three tear jerkers ...

Ever in My Heart (1933) with Barbara Stanwyck. One of the most heart wrenching movies I've ever seen, but an excellent movie nonetheless.

The Shopworn Angel (1938) with James Stewart, Walter Pidgeon and Margaret Sullavan. My only issue with this movie was the costuming. It looked like it was 1938 and not 1917 for most of it. The story made up for it though.

The Great Man's Lady (1942) with Barbara Stanwyck and Joel McCrea.

Last edited:
Brewster's Millions (1945) with Dennis O'Keefe, Helen Walker, June Havoc and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson. Much better than the later version.
Girls About Town (1931) with Kay Francis, Joel McCrea and Lilyan Tashman. A Pre-Code gem.
Wise Girl (1937) with Miriam Hopkins and Ray Milland. Very sweet movie and I love Ray Milland in this.

Brewster's millions is WAAAAAAAYYY better than the one I was familiar with. "If I knock any louder the termites won't like it." :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider