Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUGBY UNION!!

Marcus

A-List Customer
Ok... my son plays soccer so naturally we watched a few matches of the World Cup. Other than when my boy is playing I could really care less about soccer. So while flipping between the new Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Soccer Channel Plus, we ran across a Rugby match between South Africa and New Zealand. We are totally hooked now. My wife and I are big football fans to begin with so this is a great counterpart. The best thing is that there is Rugby all year around. The timing was strange in that I had just seen Invictus around the same time. This sport is fantastic to watch and I encourage anyone else who likes football (or sports in general) to give Rugby a shot. Does anyone watch it already?? Probably not a lot of interest here in the States, but maybe some of our loungers abroad watch it???

Miss Sis

One Too Many
T'is the National Sport where I'm from - New Zealand - but I'd never watched a game of Rugby until I moved to England when I was 23. Trust me, that is no mean feat.

I still don't watch it but I hear some people think it's great. Try my 4 million countrymen/women. lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm a Kiwi as well so unsurprisingly I love it. As Miss Sis says it is literally a religion back home in NZ. Played a bit at school but once the Maori and Polynesian boys hit their growth straps I was a little outclassed ;)

Invictus wasn't bad but they left out the "food poisoning" incident and they couldn't find an actor as big as Jonah (not really surprising though).

And you want rugby? Tonight it's the All Blacks versus the Wallabies at AMI Stadium, or for the uninitiated, NZ versus Australia in Christchurch today at 1935 local, 1735 Aussie EST. It'll be a cracker.

Go Black.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Played a bit at school but once the Maori and Polynesian boys hit their growth straps I was a little outclassed ;)

My nephew plays on a team on Sydney's Northern Beaches - most of the other kids seem to be Tongan and Samoan. He learned to run fast and tackle hard!

There is quite a good rugby team near us (Watford Saracens) and they struggle to sell tickets, so we've been meaning to go to a match for the last couple of years and haven't made it.

What would a lady wear to a sports match in the 40s/50s?

lareine

A-List Customer
We live so close to the stadium in Christchurch that I could hear the Australian national anthem being sung before the Bledisloe Cup match last night, during a lull in my television programme. Not that singing did the Ozzies any favours, since they lost to the All Blacks anyway :p

Maori and islanders have a natural advantage as rugby players. Those boys are built like tanks! Even at 14 most of them are the size of your average fully grown Caucasian man. It's quite astounding.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lareine said:
We live so close to the stadium in Christchurch that I could hear the Australian national anthem being sung before the Bledisloe Cup match last night, during a lull in my television programme. Not that singing did the Ozzies any favours, since they lost to the All Blacks anyway :p

Maori and islanders have a natural advantage as rugby players. Those boys are built like tanks! Even at 14 most of them are the size of your average fully grown Caucasian man. It's quite astounding.

The Bledisloe and Tri-Nations in one fell swoop :D

And Puzzicato, back in the day it would have been hat, scarf, gloves, sensible stockings and a thick tweed coat surely!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smithy said:
And Puzzicato, back in the day it would have been hat, scarf, gloves, sensible stockings and a thick tweed coat surely!

I'm sure I can manage that!

I had one memorable holiday where I was one of two Australians in a bar in Queenstown for a Bledisloe match. We lost. The ribbing was good humoured and the victorious hosts bought us a lot of drinks. I think if we'd won it would have been less affable!

Marcus

A-List Customer
Blondie said:
I LOVE Union, it is the best game ever to watch !!!
What channel was it on Marcus ?

The All Blacks are really taking to everyone! Un-defeated and most likely the Tri-Nations champs. Wallabies put a better fight this time around, but Blacks are hard chargers. We'll see if SA has anything left in the tank, it would be nice to have a really good round when they all hit SA. Blow-outs can get a bit dull.

Blondie,
Rugby Union is shown on Fox Soccer Channel Plus. Best if you have DVR capabilities with your cable box since most of the matches are on at odd hours of the night/morning given the time difference. They are showing all the Test matches and Provincial. The Currie Cup is going on in South Africa right now.

Nice link Smithy!

HannahJane

Familiar Face
I love a bit of rugby! I've been watching it since I was very little as my Dad used to play every weekend and all my family seem to adore the game. I played for a while until I was 9 but then they wouldn't put me in the team anymore because I'm a girl. :( My brother had a bit more luck and is going semi-pro in the coming season. I'm very proud of him :)
I still love it despite not playing and try to get to see a live match whenever I can, I'm looking forward to the season starting again. I'm also very excited about my move to New Zealand in time for the world cup.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Marcus said:
Wallabies put a better fight this time around, but Blacks are hard chargers. We'll see if SA has anything left in the tank, it would be nice to have a really good round when they all hit SA. Blow-outs can get a bit dull.

The Wallabies did look better and more agressive than in Melbourne, especially in the second half but they are still making some basic mistakes. They were taking too long for second phase ball which was giving the ABs time for men to get back in defence. In comparison look how quickly Piri was getting the ball out to the backs when the ball was taken to ground.

The next ABs Springboks should be a good match. One thing you'll get to know the more you watch rugby Marcus and which is never an easy task is playing the Boks at home and especially, in Joburg. One of the most partisan rugby crowds there is. So the game on the 21st will be a very tough encounter.

And HannahJane, where are you moving to in NZ? I'll be heading back home for the WC next year, mates are already organising parties for it!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Marcus said:
What I give to go to the WC next year!! The wife was pricing it the other day. Ho-hum.........

Not cheap and especially if you're coming from the States!

Ticket prices are pretty expensive and especially if you want to watch any of the premier teams.

There's a new phase for ticket sales on the 10th September.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Even if we made it down there and found a good sports bar or something of the like to watch the matches from would be great. Oh well, it's fun to think about. Seeing how we've been married for 12 years and never had a honeymoon, it makes you think a bit. Oh yeah..the wife LOVES this game too!!

HannahJane

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
And HannahJane, where are you moving to in NZ? I'll be heading back home for the WC next year, mates are already organising parties for it!

I'm going out for a sort of post University gap year so I will be (hopefully) moving about quite a bit! Any advice on where the best places to go, especially with regards to the WC, would be appreciated!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Rugby

I played a couple seasons for my club team, many moons ago. Americans with football and basketball skills seem to pick it up pretty fast. The games were quite fun and the post game camaraderie very interesting; unique to the sport. I still catch the club team play once or twice a year but I've little interest in watching it on TV( or at least upgrading to a cable plan that offers it).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
HannahJane said:
I'm going out for a sort of post University gap year so I will be (hopefully) moving about quite a bit! Any advice on where the best places to go, especially with regards to the WC, would be appreciated!

HannahJane, for the WC you'll be best to base yourself in one of the main centres. Obviously the semis and the final are in Auckland so you might want to be round there come October next year. The atmosphere should be great. Trust me virtually every single pub in the country will be showing it on the telly so you'll have no trouble catching the games. If you like PM me and I can give you some tips and ideas on where to go and what to do in NZ. More than happy to help.

And Paddy, fellow winger here too. I learnt to run very fast due to those Maori and Polynesian blokes I mentioned earlier!

Marcus, if you make it down to the WC next year and are in Auckland, we'll have to meet for a beer. I'll be encamped in my hometown for most of the WC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk