Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUGBY UNION!!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I am not really a sporty person, but I do follow the main Rugby teams here in the UK and of course the national teams when playing in the 6 nations or agaisnt, S.A, OZ & N.Z. At school I was forced to do games/PT and although we mainly played football, we did try rugby a couple or times which even I found far more enjoyable, especially when the boys could play against the masters, it was the only time we could "accidently" cause them pain and get away with it, although they generally got their own back later. I remember getting tackled hard by the geography teacher who was Welsh and therefore was rather good at the game and tackling.

We had those "friendly" matches as well between masters and boys, as I mentioned a while back in another thread. They were great fun and a chance to get our own back! Their tactics were often dirtier than ours however.

Maybe we should put together a Fedora Lounge Rugger team. ...

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
We had those "friendly" matches as well between masters and boys, as I mentioned a while back in another thread. They were great fun and a chance to get our own back! Their tactics were often dirtier than ours however.

Maybe we should put together a Fedora Lounge Rugger team. ...

Good Idea, but I think my Rugger Playing days are behind me. :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At a recent appointment with the surgeon who is going to do my hip replacement. He asked if there was any history about any injury that I could tell him.
I explained that at the age of 14, I was knocked down by a hit & run driver. My right ankle was shattered putting me in hospital for a year. It took a further three years for the muscle to develop and build up in the injured leg. The surgeon asked what I did after that, Told him that I played Rugby until I was 35. He raised an eyebrow, then smiled. I knew immediately: "You played Rugby yourself, eh doctor?" "At university," he admitted.
Rugby is not for the fainthearted, nor for those who have had some serious injury.
Now they tell me.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
At a recent appointment with the surgeon who is going to do my hip replacement. He asked if there was any history about any injury that I could tell him.
I explained that at the age of 14, I was knocked down by a hit & run driver. My right ankle was shattered putting me in hospital for a year. It took a further three years for the muscle to develop and build up in the injured leg. The surgeon asked what I did after that, Told him that I played Rugby until I was 35. He raised an eyebrow, then smiled. I knew immediately: "You played Rugby yourself, eh doctor?" "At university," he admitted.
Rugby is not for the fainthearted, nor for those who have had some serious injury.
Now they tell me.

All this was before Elf and Safety I expect.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Now they tell me.

I remember the occasional Rugger injury at school, twisting my ankle mainly and once tearing a ligament (painful). When this happened I was "off eccer" for a while, to use the school slang.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I am not really a sporty person, but I do follow the main Rugby teams here in the UK and of course the national teams when playing in the 6 nations or agaisnt, S.A, OZ & N.Z. At school I was forced to do games/PT and although we mainly played football, we did try rugby a couple or times which even I found far more enjoyable, especially when the boys could play against the masters, it was the only time we could "accidently" cause them pain and get away with it, although they generally got their own back later. I remember getting tackled hard by the geography teacher who was Welsh and therefore was rather good at the game and tackling.

Compulsory 'eccer' as we called it could seem a waste of time (especially in the rain, etc.) but I can see the point of it years later.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21