Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugged Smartphone Holster

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've got a new smartphone (well, new to me), an LG Revolution. What are you outdoorsy types carrying your smartphones in (besides your pockets)? I've had the Colonel Littleton, Duluth Trading, and Bucket Boss cell phone holsters in the past, but they are all either too small for the Revolution, or they run a tad expensive! I'd prefer one in brown leather, especially one that has that 19th or early twentieth century British Colonial look to it, like it was a part of the old P-08 gear or something. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
That Etsy case looks well made and with classic styling. The seller's other items look like quality leatherwork. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the cell case.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That Etsy case looks well made and with classic styling. The seller's other items look like quality leatherwork. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the cell case.
I think you're right. I'm awaiting a new case, similar to the Otter Box case RBH has. Once I get the outside dimensions of that (which will hopefully be over the weekend), I'll probably place the order with the folks on Etsy. I'll be sure to post a review when I do! That seems easier that trying to develop non-existent leather working skills.

RBH

Bartender
I think you're right. I'm awaiting a new case, similar to the Otter Box case RBH has. Once I get the outside dimensions of that (which will hopefully be over the weekend), I'll probably place the order with the folks on Etsy. I'll be sure to post a review when I do! That seems easier that trying to develop non-existent leather working skills.

Jack.. that has been what has held me up ... the Otter Box case. But I would not do without it.
I have droped my phone with no ill effect whatever! Because of the Otter Box.

I look forward to see what you may come up with.

There are some leather people at major Moores shop that I have thought about getting with... so maybe you will be on to something!
GOOD LUCK!!!

howardeye

Practically Family
I am on my 3rd iPhone and probably 3 screen destructions on the first two which i repaired myself. I finally found out about the Otterbox Defender while in Florida last year. Well I bought 2 so my wife would be protected also. Two days later it fell off of my belt while on the motorcycle and a couple of cars ran over it. I do not think Florida drivers can see. I was broadsided by a Ford Excursion almost killed on the bike on a previous visit and now they destroy my phone after just installing my 3rd complete screen assembly a couple of days before. 5 miles down the highway I feel for my phone and it is gone. I backtracked and found the junk heap. I threw it all in the saddle bag and took it back where I bought the indestructible case , so they said. They gave me a new case and said they would have to add a liability clause in case it was run over by a car so they weren't liable for phone replacement. I had to take over the wife's phone and buy her the latest model to replace hers of course. And would you know it? Her new phone needed a different Otterbox. Another $50! The good news is I have not had to change a smashed screen for almost a year. I did not even want to know how much AT&T got from me last year. I probably could of bought another motorcycle! I have dropped my phone at least 50 times on concrete and steel since and it still works!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nice to see you, Jack. :)

Thanks, Scott! It's good to have a moment to visit! Between the full-time job and teaching part time, it's been a hectic time!

Hi Jack

Nice to read your stuff again. I only have 4 safari jackets now...

I bought stampede strings from these folks:

http://www.outwestsaddlery.com/html/cell_phone_holders.html

I haven't anything on this page, but they were good to deal with and their stuff looks good.

Later

Thanks, MJS! I'm up to about, oh, six or so! Two short sleeve four-pocket shirts (one made in Kenya) and just recently picked up one of the 1960s Air Force bush jackets, NOS, but with Tech Sergeant chevrons sewn on. Very nice.

Howardeye, I had some terrible luck with my Casio G'zOne Commando, too. Ruggedized, my eye. Ruggedized like my 99-year old grandmother! I went through three before giving up. The sad part is that I had a G'zOne Boulder flip phone, and hated that, too. I should have learned, but I thought the smart phone might actually be better. Nope. Last Casio product I will buy. Ever. I'm thinking about upgrading to an iPhone, just for the stability of the platform. I heard that they changed the dimensions of the iPhone 5 from the rest of them, though. That's one reason I've hesitated on investing in a case, at least not one as expensive as some I've seen...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Heads up on the Otterbox Defender: There's an issue in which, over time, the rubber outer cse becomes floppy, loose, and can tear. I finally removed mine and have a less protective, but tight fitting case. Mine lasted about eight months.

Another heads up: If you get one, go to Amazon. $20 vs $50 at B&M retailers.

Edward

Bartender
Always kinda fancied something like this:

51wLtv9dS7L._AA300_.jpg

Never been advisable over here, though, even nearly fourteen years since my accent last marked me out as a "potential terrorist". ;) I currently used one of these (cut for an Android phone - I don't care for Apple products):

BookBookiPhone5_Left-Hero.jpg

Works well. Years ago I did for a while have a handset cover that attached to my belt, but that's not much use to me these days as I as often wear braces as a belt. Might still pick one up for whatever phone I get next, though, for the days when I am belted, to save pocket space.

howardeye

Practically Family
Heads up on the Otterbox Defender: There's an issue in which, over time, the rubber outer cse becomes floppy, loose, and can tear. I finally removed mine and have a less protective, but tight fitting case. Mine lasted about eight months.

Another heads up: If you get one, go to Amazon. $20 vs $50 at B&M retailers.

The company will replace it for free!

Edward - Nice rig. Join the club, I was marked a terrorist the day I climbed on a motorcycle and wearing my church clothes!

Last edited:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I came across this cell holder with a classic look-
http://www.colonellittleton.com/no-49-phone-holster.html
no.49ph_brown_1.jpg

It seems geared towards iphones or similarly sized gadgets.

That's the one I liked at Col Littleton, but I didn't much like the price! I just pulled the trigger on the one from Etsy, but only after making sure I was happy with the rubberized case I have put on the phone. I'd hate to custom order a holster, only to switch cases and have it no longer fit!

I hesitated a little because we are due for upgrades next month, and I don't want to spend a lot on a phone I may or may not keep. My wife is seriously thinking of upgrading to the iPhone, and with the troubles i had with my previous Android, I have been encouraging her to do so. I'll let her see how she likes it, and if so, I'll probably also upgrade to that. Then we can get the sweet iPhone cases like this one:

http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/exovault-iphone-case-offers-robust-protection-with-steampunk-style.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk