Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Many a African farmer has fed his family and defended his stock with the 9.3. It's a grand round. If I could get back to Africa more often (or ever again!) I'd be happy with one in my hands. Fine N American cartridge, too. You shouldn't have to shoot an elk twice with that one.

Renault

One Too Many
"You shouldn't have to shoot an elk twice with that one."

Well I know that from personal experience! :D. There isn't much argument after the fact with anything I have taken with that 9.3! Took a 350 class elk in 2010 off the family ranch in Colorado.

It's a great big hog rifle too! The day I rechambered it, I got home and was setting in my easy chair. I happened to glance out front window to see if my deer had wandered in. Something big and black was there. My immediate impression. Was one of the neighbors calves had made it thru the fence. It was that big! Closer inspection proved it a boar! Big one too! I grabbed that 9.3x 62 having only test fired it. Using the open sights I put a 286 grain round nose soft point thru the boiler room at about 40 yards right off front porch of house!!!! No more boar!

Wifey killed an EVEN BIGGER ONE off back porch with her Winchester 88 in .308!!!! And that was a month after her open heart surgery.

RJR

"You shouldn't have to shoot an elk twice with that one."

Well I know that from personal experience! :D. There isn't much argument after the fact with anything I have taken with that 9.3! Took a 350 class elk in 2010 off the family ranch in Colorado.

It's a great big hog rifle too! The day I rechambered it, I got home and was setting in my easy chair. I happened to glance out front window to see if my deer had wandered in. Something big and black was there. My immediate impression. Was one of the neighbors calves had made it thru the fence. It was that big! Closer inspection proved it a boar! Big one too! I grabbed that 9.3x 62 having only test fired it. Using the open sights I put a 286 grain round nose soft point thru the boiler room at about 40 yards right off front porch of house!!!! No more boar!

Wifey killed an EVEN BIGGER ONE off back porch with her Winchester 88 in .308!!!! And that was a month after her open heart surgery.
WOW!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Funny you mentioned hogs Renault, I saw this and thought of you!

johncampfiretales4-08.html

http://www.seerey-lester.com/johncampfiretales4-08.html

Great looking rack you have there.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Same here. It was a view just like that that made me swear off lightly constructed bullets for pig. From then on it was Nosler partitions or nothing! I had a 139 gr. Hornady explode on the piggy's rib cage. The shot did finally kill it but there was absolutely no serious impact. Never again! They work fine on deer, though.

Renault

One Too Many
very nice bull Renault, well done. what part of Colorado?

Unit 18. Just southwest of Grand Lake. Family ranch. soda springs , supply creek area.

As an aside I worked out another deal on yet another 1895 Winchester. This ones really nice!!!! Another.35 WCF. So I suppose I'll be posting pics on other thread on its arrival.

Sarge, leave next Thursday for annual Hog Hunt! Been doing this hunt since '83. Hopefully only "hogs" I see with be setting around campfire with full bellies! ;)

Last edited:

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Well in that case my friend I expect a photo to emulate the Seerey-Lester painting! :D. Or I remember Baden-Powells story of following a boar in to a thicket on foot with a lance, bit too exciting that one for me.

Hope you have good time and plenty of good food after, boy am I envious of both the hog hunt and the sound of that Winchester.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Hogs are one thing the Oregon DFW is pleased to report aren't found there. The regs do state that any 'feral' or (I presume) free-ranging hogs should be shot on sight so the probability that a population might get established is less that in some other places. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I was a California hawg hunter a long time ago and still would be happy to put a sow or two in the freezer. Boars? They're for hanging on the wall and making sausage--STRONG sausage.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
or Pâté.
I had a friend that moved out Africa and he had some pig sticking lance tips made, not sure he ever got to have a go with them. Need to ask him. We have wild hog over here now in certain areas, trouble is with no natural predation they will become a pest, like our deer population.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Yeah, I had a possibly late contact in the Bristol area and he told me about the escapes and idiot releases. You are absolutely right. Without wolves and bears (and maybe even with them if Germany, Italy and France are any example) pigs become a major agricultural nuisance. And the silly Ministry isn't helping any dithering around trying to decide how to deal with them. In the meantime they breed like, well, piggies and are spreading through the countryside.

SurfGent

Suspended
THE HON. DENYS FINCH HATTON BIG GAME RIFLE
A CHARLES LANCASTER .450 (3 1/4IN) NITRO EXPRESS BACK-ACTION SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 13315,
25in. replacement nitro chopperlump barrels (by the makers in 1929) with matt sight rib, open sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight (missing protector), barrels engraved 'CHARLES LANCASTER - 99 MOUNT STREET, BERKELEY SQUARE, LONDON', treble-grip stepped action with side-clips, carved fences, automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, elongated top-strap, Lancaster patent detachable dipped-edge back-action lockplates, engraved 'patent 64311', Rogers patent cocking levers, best bold scroll engraving, the makers name within a cartouche, retaining traces of original colour-hardening, 15in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, rose gold escutcheon inscribed 'D.F.H. - NOVEMBER 1928', engraved pistolgrip-cap and chequered steel grip-strap, including 1in. rubber recoil pad, fore-end with grip release catch, weight 11lb.7oz., in its lightweight leather case, the lid initialled 'D. F-H'.
The makers have kindly confirmed that the rifle was completed in 1911, originally in .475 calibre (and subsequently rebarrelled by them to .450 calibre in 1929) for the Hon Denys Finch Hatton

SurfGent

Suspended
If your on this thread you probably know who and what this is. For those who don't if you ever seen the movie Out of Afica. It was a true story, Robert Redford played a real gentleman by the name Denys Finch Hatton. His rifle and case turned up a few years ago and was sold at auction for 80k

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Finch Hatton was Isaak Dineson's lover for a long time so that rifle has literary and romantic/erotic connections as well as historic. I'll bet the current owner takes out and fondles it lovingly every now and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana