Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

416rigby

New in Town
When I found the FN I was scanning a table full of doubles at a Houston show. "Ask first, touch second" sign clearly posted hahahahaha, so--I asked, how long did that Browning spend in Africa? The guy casually says, 15 years, I am selling it for the PH that now lives in Beleze, I have a letter from him. I said, I'll take it, like jumping out of an airplane no turning back hahahah.

It is so fun to shoot! I carried it in the Elk woods a couple of times but never drew blood.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Some great classic rifles in this thread!

Now you guys make me want to get a classic Mauser sporter like a FN or a Husky in a classic stalking caliber like 270, 7x64, or perhaps even the wonderful 300H&H!

Renault

One Too Many
When I found the FN I was scanning a table full of doubles at a Houston show. "Ask first, touch second" sign clearly posted hahahahaha, so--I asked, how long did that Browning spend in Africa? The guy casually says, 15 years, I am selling it for the PH that now lives in Beleze, I have a letter from him. I said, I'll take it, like jumping out of an airplane no turning back hahahah.

It is so fun to shoot! I carried it in the Elk woods a couple of times but never drew blood.

Used to love that old Houston show in the Astrohall!!!!!! Picked up some awesome guns there in the past. Used to take the scout troop there! LOL! Boys would load up on cheap fantasy knives! That was a show. Suppose that the Tulsa show is now the one to make these days!

I love my .375!!!!!! It's a big puppy!!!!! However I think next time I'm out for elk I'll drag out one of the Krags.....

Renault

J.D. Hunt

New in Town
Renault, sorry to sound like an old joke but, "size doesn't matter, it's how you place your shot" by all means take the Krag for Elk. I know you like to shoot big bore also. Big bore is fine for those who must follow todays DG rules in guided hunts, but a 7x57 or 8mm Mauser, or the .303 british #1 Mk III would be my choice for anything that walks. J.D.Hunt

Renault

One Too Many
Renault, sorry to sound like an old joke but, "size doesn't matter, it's how you place your shot" by all means take the Krag for Elk. I know you like to shoot big bore also. Big bore is fine for those who must follow todays DG rules in guided hunts, but a 7x57 or 8mm Mauser, or the .303 british #1 Mk III would be my choice for anything that walks. J.D.Hunt

Remember Hunt, I have all those rifles too! ;-) 7 x57mm being one of my favorites. The last Krag I snagged just fits the decor of my cabin so well! Last season eldest son used his fav .270 for his 6 x 6! I fear it will be a while before I take another elk. No way I can top the last years animal!!!!!

416rigby

New in Town
My 7X57

PICT00202.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/Valiant40/PICT00202.jpg

Dad traded an old push lawnmower for this and I carried it in the woods as a kid untill he let me hunt with his 99 Savage

416rigby

New in Town
For all of us "wish we were a PH types"

remember, your favorite 7X57 Mauser is also your favorite .275 Rigby. As early as 1907, John Rigby adopted it, calling it the .275 Rigby after the English fasion of naming cartridges by land rather than grove or bullet diameter.

Last edited:

J.D. Hunt

New in Town
Renault, the new FMJs just came in today for the .303 british and the 8mm Mauser. Thank you for the heads up on the PPU ammo. As to your last years Elk, I agree that it will be hard to top. Who know some where in Texas there may be a cape waiting for one of us. Ha Ha.! J.D.Hunt

Renault

One Too Many
remember, your favorite 7X57 Mauser is also your favorite .275 Rigby. As early as 1907, John Rigby adopted it, calling it the .275 Rigby after the English fasion of naming cartridges by land rather than grove or bullet diameter.

I have a project plains rifle in the works now! I had planned to mark the bbl as .275 Rigby! Do you know the story of why the Rigby firm only sold ammo with a round nose bullet????????

Renault

WH1

Practically Family
Gents
any opinions on the new Kimber rifles. I am looking at buying a Model 8400 Select Classic in 30-06. I like the profile of the rifle and the fact it is very light. I am planning on using it for elk this year, I already have a Mark X in 300 WM and a Tikka T3 in 270 which are outstanding for elk but I don't currently have a rifle in the classic 30-06 and since the wife is open to me spending some money on a new rifle for this years season...
Any first hand information on the new Kimbers would be appreciated. I owned two of the Oregon made 89BGR and they were great, wish I still had them.

yakacm

New in Town
Don't know anything about guns, all that stuff looks really nice though, I assume you guys are all in the States? Do you have the same superstition over there about putting your shoes on the table (I am referring to the boots on the table in the wee tableaux at the top), not a very superstitious person but this is one I have always keep to, doesn't do any harm I guess, shoes on a table always look out of place and wrong to me. But anyway don't want to jinx you (actually I am sounding more and more like a superstitious nut), especially where guns are involved you need to have the gods on your side.

Renault

One Too Many
Gents
any opinions on the new Kimber rifles. I am looking at buying a Model 8400 Select Classic in 30-06. I like the profile of the rifle and the fact it is very light. I am planning on using it for elk this year, I already have a Mark X in 300 WM and a Tikka T3 in 270 which are outstanding for elk but I don't currently have a rifle in the classic 30-06 and since the wife is open to me spending some money on a new rifle for this years season...
Any first hand information on the new Kimbers would be appreciated. I owned two of the Oregon made 89BGR and they were great, wish I still had them.

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Kimbers. Only problems I've seen in them was the result of unnecessary abuse caused by their owners.

Renault

DesertDan

One Too Many
Bought a birthday present for myself, a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06. It has a Bushnell 3-9x/40mm scope. It will be a couple of weeks before I'll get to the range, can't wait to wring it out.

I came very close to buying a Savage 99 (.308) that was there. It was so sweet that I may still go back and put some money down on it. I have a deep and abiding love for lever action rifles and have wanted a 99 in my collection real bad. If the 700 hadn't been there and in such pristine condition, I would have come home with the Savage to begin with.

Gun lust is a harsh mistress. :D

Cheers!
DD

MikePotts

Practically Family
Did you guys notice that 'pop -up' type ad that appears at the top of this thread from Nyatiinc.com? - now those cold be fun for my Whitetail/Axis/ Hog huntin' ......I happen to know where I can buy a .458Win really cheap :)

Eric P

Familiar Face
I came very close to buying a Savage 99 (.308) that was there. It was so sweet that I may still go back and put some money down on it. I have a deep and abiding love for lever action rifles and have wanted a 99 in my collection real bad. If the 700 hadn't been there and in such pristine condition, I would have come home with the Savage to begin with.

Gun lust is a harsh mistress. :D

Cheers!
DD

My Dad gave me a sweet Savage 99 in .250-3000. It has the cartridge counter, schnabel fore end and Marbles tang peep site.
Ammo is hard to come by though.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
My Dad gave me a sweet Savage 99 in .250-3000. It has the cartridge counter, schnabel fore end and Marbles tang peep site.
Ammo is hard to come by though.

Oh, now that's a keeper!!!!! .250 WITH a tang sight! Very nice!!!! Wifey did drop nice fat doe with her 99F in243 Win. (while I was trying to hunt Nilgai) this past Januaty in south Texas!!!!

My nilgai rifle of choice was my trusty old 9.3 x 62 Mauser! Unfortunately no nilgai this time..........

Renault

MikePotts

Practically Family
Here's an old travelling companion of mine:

P1000816.jpg

She's a Springfield Sporter .30-'03. 4 digit serial number, action dated 1904, barrel 1905.
I believe that the .30-'03 round carried a 220 grain bullet, which probably explains why this one shoots it so well!
She's my biggest bore rifle and I use her for almost all my 'big game', the 'scope is an aged El Paso Weaver KV 2 3/4X - 5 X

MP

MikePotts

Practically Family
Link worked fine Mr.H. I sthat a ghost ring rear on the bolt & what calibre? I'm Jones'n for a 7x57, preferably a break action in 7x57R , but a classy bolt action like yours would work too,

MP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk