Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanitizing Caps ?

PinkFloydEffect

New in Town
Hello everyone I am new here! I wear a lot of baseball caps and they can be a pain to wash sometimes, so if I feel the hat is clean but maybe has a little head odor from the day I tend to spray some Lysol or Ozium Sanitizer inside...but is this a bad idea and is there something better made for hats?

Thanks!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a baseball cap ?

throw it away and buy another

other than that ... there is no substitute for hanging it out on a clothesline for a day ... if it is something beyond that the trash can is where it probably should be

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Surprisingly, some baseball caps are rather expensive depending on what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
been a life long collector of New Era caps ... I know all about them and what they are worth ... I just sold a lot of NE caps for $5000.00

if it is some hat that you bought at Lids or at the mall or at the ball park and is not some rare Mishka or PE hat or Hemp Adam etc etc ... throw it out if it stinks and is stained

any ball cap that someone is willing to wear to the point of sweating up is highly replaceable

suitedcboy

One Too Many
If it is a leather sweatband fedora or other hat (I think that is the type hat you are asking about) then the old instructions from hat makers to turn the sweatband inside out and stand on crown to allow drying/airing is good. I don't have sensitive skin to many things but detergents not rinsed well out of washed ball caps has sure caused me misery. I would be afraid of things used to clean leather sweatbands as they could destroy the sweatband and there is not great way to rinse stuff from leather.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
if they don't look like this .... throw them out

hundreds.jpg

clink_room.jpg

5_8_2.jpg

5_8.jpg

3_8.jpg

1_4.jpg

ugh.jpg

mish.jpg

misc.jpg

kiss.jpg

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone I am new here! I wear a lot of baseball caps and they can be a pain to wash sometimes, so if I feel the hat is clean but maybe has a little head odor from the day I tend to spray some Lysol or Ozium Sanitizer inside...but is this a bad idea and is there something better made for hats?

Thanks!

Some solvents and cleaners can discolor the fabric. Sunlight can cause it to fade too. Steam will kill bacteria that cause odors and is faster than fresh air, but fresh air seems the safest to me. Hanging the hat in open air but not in direct sunlight is probably what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if they don't look like this .... throw them out

hundreds.jpg

clink_room.jpg

5_8_2.jpg

5_8.jpg

3_8.jpg

1_4.jpg

ugh.jpg

mish.jpg

misc.jpg

kiss.jpg

Okay, Ant... help me out here. Like anything, I suppose there are ball caps that fetch a fair sum from various collectors. I've noted Polo hats from circa 1990 bringing a bundle of money. My father, who grew up in the salvage business and had great difficulty throwing things out, as well as an affinity for collecting, left me with several hundred caps of all sorts. They're mostly new, with tags. Even the "Rumble in the Jungle" one. What am I looking for here, sir?

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Okay, Ant... help me out here. Like anything, I suppose there are ball caps that fetch a fair sum from various collectors. I've noted Polo hats from circa 1990 bringing a bundle of money. My father, who grew up in the salvage business and had great difficulty throwing things out, as well as an affinity for collecting, left me with several hundred caps of all sorts. They're mostly new, with tags. What am I looking for here, sir?
I'd have to see them ... you could be sitting on several thousand dollars or several dollars :)

I'd have to see them ... you could be sitting on several thousand dollars or several dollars :)

Ok, so what are YOU looking for, then?

I don't want to take a lot of (your) time on this, but are there some guidelines as to what is more desirable? I.E. NOT advertising, or some special team, or character, etc. Pop had been saving them for at least a couple of decades, (and he passed away in 1999) a couple of big plastic bags FULL. This might be a good reason to sit down with a couple of mugs or snifters, and review!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ok, so what are YOU looking for, then?

I don't want to take a lot of (your) time on this, but are there some guidelines as to what is more desirable? I.E. NOT advertising, or some special team, or character, etc. Pop had been saving them for at least a couple of decades, (and he passed away in 1999) a couple of big plastic bags FULL. This might be a good reason to sit down with a couple of mugs or snifters, and review!

I pretty much only deal with New Era ... but know a bit about other brands as well

it is about as involved as this whole fedora game ... so without knowing what brand they are I can't really say what to look for

snap backs and belt loop hats generally are not worth as much as fitteds

really hard to say without some brand info and a few pics

Willebe

A-List Customer
I would say this old Polo hat isn't worth much except to me. I've drug this thing all over the world since 1990 when I bought it for $40 at J C Penney's. My wife hates it and always threatens to throw it out.
b8b5cc8b6b03583323a8bff88350ad59.jpg
671613848c829a8b84507762ffe60f13.jpg
759ddfe0b1b320eea8de0a134323d457.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would say this old Polo hat isn't worth much except to me. I've drug this thing all over the world since 1990 when I bought it for $40 at J C Penney's. My wife hates it and always threatens to throw it out.
b8b5cc8b6b03583323a8bff88350ad59.jpg
671613848c829a8b84507762ffe60f13.jpg
759ddfe0b1b320eea8de0a134323d457.jpg

Super patina on that one, Will! That takes time, work, and sweat. Looks very extinguished!

Years ago, my wife did that (tossed it out) with a homemade engineers cap... once. Only once.

PinkFloydEffect

New in Town
Wow lots of mixed replies here, to be clear I do not wear goofy sports hats. I have a few sentimental MOPAR hats, I have a very clean head but I have very thick curly hair. I have started buying the caps that are vented in the back to help with this, all mesh back hats. I am in no way trying to put a ducktape fix on a hat that needs to be washed, when it needs to be washed I either wear it in the shower or put it in the dish washer in the hat rack. The odor from the day will pretty much go away overnight by just letting the hat air out, but I am pretty OCD about this so I had been spraying a small amount of Ozium Air Sanitizer in the hat before I hung it up for the night. I like what someone suggested about using steam though! I just have to find a device that will do it.

Z5DDqw6.jpg

YjUtFhP.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points