Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lancealot said:
... I was also Brotherhood in the Order of the Arrow.

I was also Brotherhood in the O.A. Visiting that old scout camp and seeing the old amphitheater where the ceremony took place brought back a lot of memories. I can still see that flaming arrow lighting the camp fire ...

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Troop 402 Bradford Pa Whitetail dist. I made Eagle in 93.

We had it made as far as scouts go. Right in the middle of a National Forest, all the adventure boys could ask for and a bunch of "underground" outings that weren't allowed then and aren't now like... hunting etc.

I learned a lot that served me well thus far. Miss some of the crazier stuff like Klondike derbies (the patrol pulls the dog sled through checkpoints all the while doing orientation drills to the next sites) or earning the wilderness survival badge but actually going on a hike with nothing and making a shelter eating off the land (mosting fishing this time... pa stream trout are easy catches in august)

Because of my experiences I always felt bad for scouts in urban areas.

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic:
A bit on topic. I read yesterday that people are selling Girl Scout cookies at ebay for much more than they go for by the little girls standing in front of stores. It is supposed to be against the rules and I personally think needs to be nipped in the bud as no telling where it would go but if someone in Antartica wants some I guess it is a way.
I have eaten and bought so many it is not funny.
Thin mints are best of course.

I just went and checked.
1 case (12 boxes) samoa girl scout cookies $51.00
$20.50 shipping. Oyvey!

I can see someone knocking down little girls to get the goods. Does everything have to be screwed with?

D

DeaconKC

Was a Cub, then Webelos, then we moved to Arkansas and no scout troop where we moved to.

jayem

A-List Customer
Proud to be a Girl Scout drop out!

I quit going after my troop leader told me that Alice In Chains wasn't appropriate music for a young girl, and that the word 'sucks' was a swear. Hey, it was the 90s... everything 'sucked' and grunge was awesome!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was a Girl Scout and an honorary Boy Scout.

Our Girl Scout Troop disbanded when all the moms had to go to work.
My Dad was a Scoutmaster, so I was made an honorary Boy Scout to shut me up since I attended the weekly Boy Scout meetings and went to camp with the Boy Scouts each year. lol

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I was a Brownie and a Girl Guide, I still randomly run into girls from my Guide troop years down the line. It was actually a lot of fun, even for a painfully shy little girl.
We used to perform at the local village fete every year, I remember we had to do a dance to Copacabana one year, we thought we were soo glam lol

donCarlos

Practically Family
Yes, I was a Boy Scout... 35th department, 305th brigade, founded in 1917 in Prague. History of scouting in the Czech Republic is quite interesting, because it was illegal from 1940 until 1989, except the three years after WWII.
But those are things I couldn´t appreciate when I was 13 :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
I never had the opportunity myself, but my 2 boys were in cub scouts for a few years. Unfortunately, things were not well organized and the leaders were all mainly people who were really too stressed out to be hanging out with a bunch of energetic kids( lots of shouting,etc.)They eventually became so fed up they refused to go back, and i didn't push it any longer.However, I am a big supporter of the scouting movement .I still feel they learned skills that they will have always and i knew I had to do something the first time i took them camping and they referred to the lake as THE POOLlol

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I was a Weblos and a Boy Scout in the late 60s early 70s. I got up to Second class working on First. Our school had a lot of boys in Scouts back then. You were either in Troop 90 (mine) or 170. It was alot of fun I really enjoyed it. It has gotten too PC these days though. It got to the point where my friends son ended up quitting. One of my co-horts at work was an Eagle Scout and we drew notes. It seems that scouts are more conscience these days politically in opposed to when I was in. I asked for a copy of his Scout Manual and saw it seemed lacking to the one I had. I found the type we had on ebay and won one. The one we used back then seemed more like a field manual. The newer ones have neat color photos and some new field tricks.
Scouting is great too bad it's not "Cool" to kids anymore.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
I was a Cub Scout, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and an Air Scout, which I found a little disappointing, due to the lack of air activities; I changed to the Air Training Corps when I was old enough, which fulfilled my need for adventure!

That's not to knock Scouting at all, and I learned an amazing amount about camping and outdoor activities, and how to conduct a camp 'properly'. This knowledge, and the enjoyment has stayed with me. My two sons are now part of Scouting, having gone through Beaver Scouts, Cubs, and the eldest is now a Scout. Things have changed though, and the structure and discipline of my time has gone to be replaced by the unstructured, lackadaisical approach of today's world. Scouting's loss I think.

Edward

Bartender
TheKitschGoth said:
I was a Brownie and a Girl Guide, I still randomly run into girls from my Guide troop years down the line. It was actually a lot of fun, even for a painfully shy little girl.
We used to perform at the local village fete every year, I remember we had to do a dance to Copacabana one year, we thought we were soo glam lol

Barry Manilow, eh? He's, eh, not exactly Nick Cave... ;)

I know exactly what you mean re being the painfully shy kid... it all really brought me out of my shell. Or at least taught me how to put on a better front. lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was a Boy Scout.

I was in the Cub Scouts and rose to the lofty heights of a Sixer with my little white toggle!!. 10th East Belfast. The hall is still standing..just, and is still a Scout Hall, as I walked past it on a journey of nostalgia a few months ago.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
I was thrown out for not admitting who's tent I was coming from in the wee hours... I may be a cad, but I'm not a bounder, and the lady's name has never passed my lips to this day in that connection...

Here's one of my favourite books of all time... not fo rthe content, although there are some useful ideas, but for the startling double entendre*

scouting_for_boys.jpg

* - Woman walks into a bar.
The barman says 'What would you like?'
She says 'a double entendre'
So he gave her one...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
I was just wondering how many of the fine members of this lounge had ever been scouts?

I was a cub scout, but my parents didn't like taking me to the meetings, so I was talked out of pursuing it. I regret it, and think I would encourage my kids to join. Partially because I'd like to be an involved dad.

Here's my father in his scouting uniform at age 10 1/2 in Japan, circa 1957.

Family_Album004.jpg

-Dave

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
GentlemanFarmer said:
Started as a Cub Scout, just missed Eagle (didn't finish before my 18th birthday) as a Boy Scout, went on as an Explorer and then became an Explorer advisor. I guess I put in a total of 19-20 years. Wouldn't have traded it for the world. Who's been to Philmont??

My father has actually been to Philmont - way back in 1956!
(Something he never forget and still talk about with great pleasure and joy)

He was in scouting too - for more than 50 years!
Ended up as International Supervisor or something.
And we were - offcourse - in the same troop. A troop who has just celberated 75 years jubille. One of the oldest scouttroops in Denmark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk