Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Viola said:
Girl Scouting seems less structured than Boy Scouting - you do what the leader finds interesting, which in our case rotated far too much around crafts projects, for me, and not enough outdoorsy stuff.

That was my experience too -- the leader's personality really did carry over to the troop. Our Junior troop leader had been a WAC in WW2, so we didn't get in too much time with the glittery glued-down-macaroni stuff. But we learned to march *very* smartly in the Memorial Day parades. And I could probably still do flag drill in my sleep.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad was a Boy Scout. He attended the Piedmont Council BSA Camp Schiele in Tryon, NC in 1938. This is a photo of the patch he got at camp that year.

DSC03397.jpg

I was also a Boy Scout and, 30 years later in 1968, attended Camp Schiele. Our troop stayed in the same cabin as my Dad's troop. Here is a photo of the patch I got in 1968.

DSC03399.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I was not a Boy Scout, per se, but I was a member of another scouting movement as a kid for a few years. It's called the Royal Rangers, and it's essentially like the Boy Scouts, but more Christianity oriented.

PBenes

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
NEVER a "Former" Eagle Scout. Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!!!

NESA Lifetime Member. Happy 100th BSA!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Let my NESA membership lapse, but still got my card.

Emerson

New in Town
Scouting

Yessir. Folks moved into a new development in 1955 when I was eight. One of the parents in the rapidly filling suburb was an elementary school principal, and canvassed our neighborhood on foot to ascertain interest in a Cub Scout pack. Some 150 families came to the "organizational meeting." Soon we had a fully functional Cub pack, and as we all got a little older, our own Webelos group. Long story short, we went on to form BSA Troop 58, Englewood, Colorado. Fourteen of my friends and I who were "charter members" of our Cub Scout pack in 1955 received our Eagle Scout awards on April 7, 1963.

Mav

A-List Customer
Former Boy Scout and OA. Only made Star Scout- left it at 14 for DeMolay. They had a better rifle team, and dances with Job's Daughters and Rainbow Girls. I figured the latter was preferable to sleeping in a tent with another unwashed guy.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Eagle Scout (w/ bronze palm) and OA, Troop 314, Toledo Area Council (since re-branded to Erie Shores).

I didn't like camping, which is hilariously ironic. Somehow I was able to get all the merit badges and make the grade, I honestly don't remember how. My scout leader was one of the best in the region and did wonders for the program; he was a stand up guy all the way and was a recipient of the Silver Beaver award. We did most of our activities at Camp Maikonda in Toledo, nice place still active. I have some good memories of that place.
I have a collection of scouting things which I was into briefly. Sea Scout Middys, Air Scout badges, some manuals and the old Town rockers from the area. In fact, I even have my great Uncle's BS Campaign hat.

I was the weirdo kid, as I had some of the obsolete uniform stuff and happily wore it. Like the overseas cap (I hated the baseball cap). I wouldn't mind becoming an Adult leader of some sort but I really only want to get involved at home and, well, I'm 1200 miles away right now.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Cub Scout. Webelo. Eagle Scout, 1982. Troop 370, Tyler, TX (they still have the same scoutmaster nearly 30 years later). Order of the Arrow. Spent summers at Camp Pirtle. Went to Philmont twice. Attended '83 World Jamboree in Calgary. Accidentally left my merit badge sash behind after a meeting during my last year, and never saw it again. :( Can't wait to get involved with my son in Boy Scouts when he turns 12 (11 years and 8 months from now).

Philmont, 1984 (I'm front row, 2nd from R)

Philmont_1984.jpg

Cracker said:
...Can't wait to get involved with my son in Boy Scouts when he turns 12 (11 years and 8 months from now).
Bummer about the MB sash. Don't wait until he's 12! Boy Scouts come in at 11 or graduate the 5th grade. Get him involved with the Cubs like you did. I will agree that the Boy Scouts is a lot better for the adults than the Cubs. I was Den Leader for Bears & both Webelos = 3 tough years.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Went to my cousin's Eagle Scout ceremony today. What a handsome and hardworking man my "little" (he's ridiculously bigger than me) cousin has become.

B.Golightly

New in Town
Tiger Cub through Eagle, OA, then went on to serve as a leader in a Venture Crew and a Boy Scout Troop. More summers than I care to remember at Camp Pioneer, Philmont twice, and I helped staff the 2005 National Jamboree. I'm not involved at present, though - too much else to worry about. (A poor excuse, I know.)

grundie

One of the Regulars
I was in the Scouts from when I was 8 through till I was 21. Along the way picking up both the Chief and Queen's Scout awards.

I was lucky to be part of a very active troop. We went camping at least once a month and canoeing once a week. It gave me my love of the outdoors as well giving me lots of practical skills that still serve me well.

It's a great organisation that can really help young people develop. It's a pity that a lot of todays teenagers think it's just not 'cool'.

stillwell

New in Town
I am currently a life scout in BSA with Troop 65 in Conn.

Our troop goes to Camp Workoeman which has been around since 1924
there are still some original buildings and fixtures
The place really never changes much (I've found that with a lot of BSA elements) and it's a bit of a flashback when you go there

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points