Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for someone to reblock my hat.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Yes, I know these hats, but I really like the christy's if i bash it with a teardrop- crease. It's the perfect high for me then. Alle Akubra Feds or advintage, all these "Indy hats" are a little bit too tall for me.

I am just wondering if i will get the original high back, when i reblock the hat. Even if they shrink, I think, you chould be able to bring them back to their original size. The straight sided dome looks high to me, but my Christy's after the reblock were somehow smaller than before....

Can you see the big "?" above me....?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Christy's Adventurer is 1/8" taller than the Fed IV the last time I checked.

If the felt has indeed shrunk, I do not believe it possible to "stretch" it back out again.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
The Christy's Adventurer is 1/8" taller than the Fed IV

Are you sure? This, I didn't know, I always thought, the Fed IV were as high as every other Indy Hat. You know adVintage from germany?

http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/adVintage-Fedoras1?XTCsid=310i4270r3v70uav307jrt3e23

I have got one of these. As I wrote, it's really high, I can't shape it into teardrop- crease, because there is too much felt on it! The sides are not parallel any more but getting wider. Hm, searching for words.

It looks like \ / then. And not like l l .

:D

Can the FedIV be shaped into the teardrop-crease?

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am absolutely positive, I own both a Christy's and Fed IV and I just checked the posted specs. The Christy's is advertised as 14.5cm which comes to about 5.7in give or take. The Fed IV is 5 5/8ths or 14.28cm. Oddly, if the advintage was made to standard Indy specs, it would have been 5 1/2" open crown or 13.97cm.

I can't really fathom a hat not taking a teardrop crease, especially if you pop the center part back out. But yes, the Fed can be creased into a teardrop.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Ok,

thats cool, I will think about the Fed IV. Thanks! Just foor you to see: look at the sides.

img0002g3pxhz46r7.jpg

img00037um1le2ivd.jpg

img0004s1eqxaitjp.jpg

Now, what will I do with my felt on the block? What is the next step, as you see the picture of it above?

jbucklin

Practically Family
The reverse taper looks good. Just a suggestion, but why not a center-dent crease? For a long time I only creased my hats with either a teardrop or diamond and would always say I didn't like the center-dent. I have recently bought several Fed IVs and have used nothing but the center-dent, which btw, is the crease used on every single one of Indy's hats. It would probably straighten the sides of that hat with the reverse taper.

One other thing: I reshaped my brown Fed IV with the hatshaper and found that I cannot do the center-dent with any hat that I've used it on. Only teardrop.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I don't like the center dent any more, teardrop fits perfect on me. I exactly DON't want the indy hat. I am not a special fan of Indy, I just want to have a vintage hat, which is, very importnat, open crowned.

I bought the hat of advintage, because it's open crowned. I think i will buy the Fed IV, if I need a new hat, because the Christy's hats are really not very resistant against any wheater- conditions.

So, next step for my felt, what i blocked, is to sew in the sweatband?

jbucklin

Practically Family
About th Christy's---you might want to post that on the "Ask a question, get an answer" thread. There are a lot of hatters on this forum.

Landman

One Too Many
That turned out great. I recently bought an old Stetson OR cheap that has a lot of sweat stains but the felt is still in good shape. I'm experimenting with it right now to see if I can clean it up and reshape it. If it doesn't work out then it is no big deal. I think it is fun too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana