Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secret Weapons

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Ah, I've not had a day without toenail polish since I last posted in this thread! Sorry to hear you are having these problems Annie, they sound just like mine. I stopped biting my nails and peeling off my toenails when I was about your age, though I do still have a tendency to gnaw the skin around my nails when I'm nervous AND pick my heels. So it sound the same, although I have never heard the technical term before. Are you self-diagnosed or did the doctor tell you what you had? It's not easy to overcome it with willpower, but I did it, so I'm sure you can too! (even though I have a way to go with the feet, but my mum is the same!)

I too used to bite my nails (my toenails were left alone by me though). About... oh... eight or so months ago I just stopped biting them. I don't know what happened, I just decided "I'm done" and that was that. I love my nails now. I think a lot of it had to do with you gals here! I wanted beautiful nails to paint and show to you all! I know that if I can do it (I have been biting them as long as I remember) then you can too. Good luck!

As far as secret weapons go... red toenails and a bow in my hair. I have a scarf I usually tie around a pony tail and then I feel super cute and fun. :)

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
The magic of polished toenails: people look at your feet and see that you have pretty polished toenails and don't instantly notice that you have hobbit toes or callouses or wide feet. My toenails are always painted, usually red. Today: A lovely cabernet.

Eyebrows, a good bra, and heels go a long way for me. Also, keeping my bangs out of my eyes. It's impossible for me to feel alluring with hair poking me in the eye. Ideally, my bangs should be a few millimeters above my carefully groomed eyebrows. :)

D

Deleted member 12480

Miss Scarlet said:
If your problem is literally just a habit then it might be worth going to see a hypnotherapist about it. I'm a clinical hypnotherapist and some of what you're describing can be dealt with in one session. Nail biting and things like that are usually a childhood habit that has just remained with you as you get older and usually gets worse during times of stress. You don't need it anymore, but it's still annoying that it's there.

Dermatillomania is obviously more serious than habit and I can't help over a silly post message, but in this case it might still be worth seeing a hypnotherapist over it. I know the NHS is not up to standards when it comes to medical psychological health and are specifically poor when it comes to dermatillomania, but as hypnotherapists we have been trained to deal with it. If you want to PM me at any point I could help you find a reputable professional in your area and how to decipher between those that say they're a hypnotherapist but have no training, and those who have. Anymoos sorry for being so :eek:fftopic:

thanks - thats kind of you but i'm just a kid! I think my parents would think i'm just being stupid and its probably not bad enough to be allowed on the NHS. :/
thankyou for your help though.
I've seen that fleur can do it so i'll see if i can stop myself, but if it gets real bad i'll think about it in the future!

oh and thanks fleur :)
xxxxxx

D

Deleted member 12480

today is my sixth day of not touching/picking/peeling or any other sinister things. I'm really feeling pleased with myself. My toenails now *exist* and i am starting to see a little white rim. The skin is still healing and there are some very tempting ridges but i think i can control myself - i have NEVER come this far before so i am amazed.

I've got fingernails too!

Thankyou ladies for inspiring a need for red toenails (for which toenails would have to be visible to start with!) and thankyou Fleur - now i know there are others, i think it actually helped.

So happy :)
xxx

Miss Molly

New in Town
Lady Jessica- I too used to bite my nails (my toenails were left alone by me though). About... oh... eight or so months ago I just stopped biting them. I don't know what happened, I just decided "I'm done" and that was that.

That happened to me too. I sucked my thumb until I was about 19, and have always been embarrassed about it, tried to quit on numerous occasions and it completely ruined my thumb nails, and then one day I just thought, 'That's enough' and I stopped! I still have no idea how it happened so easily all of a sudden. Bizarre!

I have several secret weapons; my red toenails, my perfume and knowing I'm wearing proper stockings :)

deleteduser, congratulations! I hope you're still going strong :p

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Just adding to the list....I always, ALWAYS have pedicured, red toe nails. They havent been natural for at least 20 years! Unfortunately my job dictates that I need to have short, natural fingernails, so the toes cop all the glamour!

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
A perfect ted set of lips, a pretty under garments, wearing green, a fresh manicure, and fully fashioned nylons make me feel so unbelievably wonderful.

If you add freshly dyed hair and a perfect hair set then I'm unstoppable ;)

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
I have manky toenails (a fungal infection passed on to me by an ex-boyfriend that nothing will shift) so I have to keep them painted red at all times as what's underneath is just vile! But when they're painted up they look pretty ok. My feet used to be one of my favourite things about myself as they are smallish and cute, but the fungal nail infection has rather scuppered that.
QUOTE]

bit :eek:fftopic: here sorry, but i had a horrendous fungal nail infection for at least a decade, and was resigned to always having it. then i had terbinafine antibiotics from the docs and within 3 months it was totally cleared, and i have lovely, normal toenails now! i was a firm red toenail girl, but now i quite like them bare!

have a word with you doc, it might help.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks! I will. Last time I went to my GP he was reluctant to even give me the paint-on treatment as he seemed to think it was so trivial, but I will be super-assertive next time :D

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Red toenails, always a pair of earrings, i have been known to dash home because i have forgotten earrings, i just don't feel dressed without them, a spritz of scent, matching underwear and red lipstick and i feel great, i would happily wear sackcloth and ashes for the rest of my life than not paint my toenails!!

D

Deleted member 12480

your secret weapons are great! It feels like its been ages now, i can't wait to paint them a lovely red. Xx

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes good luck Annie, it's a real achievement to have come so far, really it is, like some of the other ladies, i would bite the skin around my nails when i was anxious, until they bled, i used to have to go out with gloves on and plasters, because i felt so ashamed of my hands and they were so painful, then bite 'em some more, a real vicious circle. I guess i just grew out of it too, although i do still have a little pick every now and then if i'm stressy. Keep up the good work!! x

D

Deleted member 12480

mine doesn't seem to be differ, Its just a subconscious habit, I 'find' myself doing it. Its stupid!

xx

lframe

One of the Regulars
I too am a member of the red toenails club. :) But my secret weapon? I guess when I really play up my eyes, especially with mascara. I mean, really make my lashes stand out. I've recently been wearing just a very neutral whitish shadow, with black mascara and red lips. Drives my hubby nuts.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
My secret weapon is stockings. I wear jeans mostly lately, as I have a one year old and am recovering from an injury which is requiring specific shoes. But when I wear skirts, or dresses, dressy or not, I always wear stockings and a garter belt. I'll even cut tights off at the thigh so I can wear them as stockings.

I don't feel right at all if I wear tights or pantyhose.

lframe

One of the Regulars
Miss Moonlight said:
My secret weapon is stockings. I wear jeans mostly lately, as I have a one year old and am recovering from an injury which is requiring specific shoes. But when I wear skirts, or dresses, dressy or not, I always wear stockings and a garter belt. I'll even cut tights off at the thigh so I can wear them as stockings.

I don't feel right at all if I wear tights or pantyhose.

Ok. I am borrowing your secret weapon. When I was younger, all I wore was stockings. Now? Not so much. Wonder how the hubby would like that? :)

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
lframe said:
Ok. I am borrowing your secret weapon. When I was younger, all I wore was stockings. Now? Not so much. Wonder how the hubby would like that? :)

Probably a lot! But what's even better? Now you get to buy garter belts and stockings!

D

Deleted member 12480

today is a proud day, ladies...
05082010406.jpg

!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points