Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SEEKING: High-waisted brown trousers

volatile

A-List Customer
...like these:

3570272247_8e51593d74_o.jpg

I have some vintage dark blue and black trousers in a similar fit, but finding brown ones is proving really, really and frustratingly difficult. Any time a suit with trousers in this cut come up on Ebay, I'm always outbid...

Anyone know where I can source a good, reasonably priced repro pair?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Get 2.25 yards of brown wool gab or regular gab fabric. Order a pattern from evadress.com, and make them.

If you have never sewn before, start with a pair of pyjamas and work your way up. Believe me, it will be worth it in the end, and you wont spend $200 on a pair.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Do what I suggest and spend as little as £20, maybe less.

Mr. Volatile.
No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO!
Too Cowboy- skinny legs, wedgie, not the right look at all.

Get a pair of 1950s/Korean War era USArmy "OD" wool (some are wool/nylon but don't let that put you off) army trousers and DYE them.
(Don't worry about the nylon, it's only 20% at most and makes "wool" cloth very hard wearing and it keeps it's shape better- it actually acts more like a vintage woolen cloth- trust me, they're excellent value.)
You can get these pants for as little as $9.99 NOS on eBay.
They really are a good vintage cut, about the same as US WW2 trousers.
with a roomy arse and leg and a high(not WAY, WAY high but DEFinitely higher than today) waist. You will want to remove the belt keepers and side adjustment tabs and add braces buttons(no prob on NOS trousers).
They will look very close to those on the "model" in your illustration.
IF the cloth doesn't dye fully, due to possible nylon content, it may end up
with a slightly "tweedy", or "heathered" effect- which may also be nice.

But you may not want to try your hand at this...
I'm going to do it anyway.

Have a look at these on Ebay:

Some of these are 100% wool- see the label pics-

BTW- in your photo...
...who is the model/what is the situation.

B
T

volatile

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
Mr. Volatile.
No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO!
Too Cowboy- skinny legs, wedgie, not the right look at all.

My thoughts entirely/

Get a pair of 1950s/Korean War era USArmy "OD" wool (some are wool/nylon but don't let that put you off) army trousers and DYE them.
(Don't worry about the nylon, it's only 20% at most and makes "wool" cloth very hard wearing and it keeps it's shape better- it actually acts more like a vintage woolen cloth- trust me, they're excellent value.)
You can get these pants for as little as $9.99 NOS on eBay.

Well, thank you very, very much! I'm on my way to do just that!

BTW- in your photo...
...who is the model/what is the situation.

He's a BMX rider (!) called Caleb Kilby... (aside: I know of him because he and his twin brother have exactly matching heavy tattoo coverage; I'm writing a thesis on tattooing)... but I happened upon this picture on a "street-style" blog quite serendipitously, interestingly enough. There seems to be a shift towards early-century clothing amongst people in the tattoo community interested in the tattoo art of the same period (myself included, as it happens).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
volatile said:
He's a BMX rider (!) called Caleb Kilby... (aside: I know of him because he and his twin brother have exactly matching heavy tattoo coverage; I'm writing a thesis on tattooing)... but I happened upon this picture on a "street-style" blog quite serendipitously, interestingly enough. *There seems to be a shift towards early-century clothing amongst people in the tattoo community interested in the tattoo art of the same period (myself included, as it happens).

*Well, me too- apart from the tattoos, I don't have any.
I'm getting into something of an Edwardian-'30s Mens' clothing frenzy.
He looks just about perfect but a 3 buttoned undershirt would have been better.;)

B
T

Edward

Bartender
Western-wear places can be (with care - think 're-enactor', not 'line-dancer') a greta source of affordable options if you're gonig for the Victorian thang, ideal for steampunk outfits, but from what I have seen myself, although nicely high-waisted they tend also to be too skinny in the leg if you're looking for something with a 30s / 40s vibe.

I'm intending to experiment with Old Town myself; also, there seem to be a few eBay sellers producing good stuff. I'm off now to have a hunt for the ones BT recommends.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Old Town are very good and very well made.
The only BUT is that their styles/patterns seem very simple and plain.
BUT that's hopefully part and parcel of their "utilitarian" thing.

Trust me- those Korean War/post WW2 era "wool" pants are great value.
the possibility of finding yourself with a wool/nylon (rather than 100% wool, perhaps due to be eBay descriptions and disclosures)pair shold not be a deterrant at all.
Wool is well complemented by nylon- helps it keep its shape and makes it more launderable. "Wool" workwear often has some nylon, or a similar synthetic, so that it can cope with a working life.

*I just remembered, those trousers usually have a zip fly,
unless they're early post-war.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think we are going to get into the old 'definition of high waisted' here. The trousers in the photograph don't seem to be high waisted to me...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The lad in the photo's wearing his trou's a little low, just above the hip as far as I can tell, and they seem to be cut to be worn that way. I prefer to wear my high-risers at my natural waist.

The highest rising pair I've got is my blue serge Royal Navy trousers, officers, working, for the use of, etc. Like these ones, only much cheaper. They cover a couple of ribs, at least. This serge makes the modern serge used by Old Town, although fine quality, seem lightweight in comparison.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Good man! The RN working trousers are a fine choice, as are their army equivalents. The navy trousers are, as you say, of an exceptionally heavy material (as you say, much heavier than Old Town's) and they have the added virtue of cheapness. Expect to pay less than 20 GBP for 1940s pattern in an unissued condition. There is a matching waistcoat that is usually less than 10 GBP.

The army trousers are of a similar cut (fishtail back etc). and are of a brown serge material. 1940s pattern can also be found at less that 20 GBP.

I would like to hazard a definition of 'high waisted' as 4 inches above the navel or at the first fixed rib - about a 14 inch crutch rise in most sizes.

BTW, the highest waisted trousers I own are 1960 pattern British Army trousers with an 18 inch crutch rise in a 30 inch waist.

volatile

A-List Customer
H.Johnson said:
Good man! The RN working trousers are a fine choice, as are their army equivalents. The navy trousers are, as you say, of an exceptionally heavy material (as you say, much heavier than Old Town's) and they have the added virtue of cheapness. Expect to pay less than 20 GBP for 1940s pattern in an unissued condition. There is a matching waistcoat that is usually less than 10 GBP.

The army trousers are of a similar cut (fishtail back etc). and are of a brown serge material. 1940s pattern can also be found at less that 20 GBP.

Thanks for this, HJ. Any reliable sources spring to mind? The army trews sound particularly interesting...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Volatile,

How are you?

The RN trousers are somewhat unpredictable - World War Wonders has them on the web, but they are expensive and go quickly. They are found more reliably on market stalls and the sort of back street surplus shop that doesn't have a website (or possibly even a telephone!) The only places worth shopping, really *...

You can make them look civilian by removing the (external) label and pressing turnups (cuffs) - a Hoffman press will be required!

Online, the army trousers are often sold at auction by Captain Hogspear. Make sure you get the early pattern - in the 1960s they changed to a straight waistband with Daks - style adjusters. These are very common, but just don't 'cut it' for me.

* Oh, and if it's your lucky day (and it has been mine) you may find a pair of the pre-war British Army brown denim working trousers - they are really nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch