Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking some honest CR fit feedback

Gamma68

One Too Many
I picked up a 1970s Taubers of California cafe racer. Tagged size 40, feels more like a 38. It's a snug fit, and I'm wearing just a long-sleeve T-shirt underneath.

Then again, this jacket is a medium-heavy steerhide and I'm used to the thinner steerhide on my Kehoe (which fits beautifully). But I'm feeling like I could use an extra inch at the chest and maybe another inch on the sleeves.

It also seems a little broad in the shoulders considering the chest width.

Fit photos below. And I did a quick little experimental little fit video in the manner of our pal @tmitchell59. It's nowhere near as good as the videos he posts, LOL.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to do with this one.

IMG_9329.JPG
IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_9333.JPG
IMG_9335.JPG

Video:

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks, @ton312. Love your enthusiasm!

Well, it's like I mentioned above. It feels tight under the armpits (now I know why Schott uses those "footballs" in that area). And the sleeves ride up on any kind of reach. This is not one to wear with anything heavier than a T-shirt.

I think the length is good and the shoulders are pretty good.

Other positives -- the leather is pretty darn nice and this jacket doesn't seem remotely broken in. It has a nice navy cotton lining with no holes or tears. Teardrop Talon zips on the chest pockets, which are cool. The main Talon zip seems a little skimpy.

Does steerhide tend to "relax" or "give" a bit over time? It just seems like it should feel great right out of the box. But maybe I'm overthinking it?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I know the Taubers of this era are nice jackets, a bit above the ordinary. If it were another more common brand I would move it on, but you will be hard pressed fo find another Tauber. I don't see many of their CR.

On this Jacket the Tauber brand makes a difference to me. It may not to you or others.

On stuff I think it is a bit out of the ordinary I will deal with the fit. If this were a Brooks, which I like too, I would look for another size, but with a Brooks that is much easier than a Taubers.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up a 1970s Taubers of California cafe racer. Tagged size 40, feels more like a 38. It's a snug fit, and I'm wearing just a long-sleeve T-shirt underneath.

Then again, this jacket is a medium-heavy steerhide and I'm used to the thinner steerhide on my Kehoe (which fits beautifully). But I'm feeling like I could use an extra inch at the chest and maybe another inch on the sleeves.

It also seems a little broad in the shoulders considering the chest width.

Fit photos below. And I did a quick little experimental little fit video in the manner of our pal @tmitchell59. It's nowhere near as good as the videos he posts, LOL.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to do with this one.

View attachment 116000 View attachment 116001 View attachment 116002 View attachment 116003

Video:

That is a great fit. Shoulders look spot on. Chest is also a good fit . I like my sleeves a tad longer but with that great fit it would be a very small trade off.
Keeper!

Gamma68

One Too Many
Well..you know me... Just going by the appearance shown it looks OK..but if certain things bother you by wearing it ..it ain't OK. I just couldn't stand those too short sleeves..!!

I guess the sleeves really aren't terribly short. That photo I posted above with my arms spread wide is a pretty unnatural pose. I think what bugs me a little is the tugging at the armpit as I reach forward. The steerhide is pretty thick/firm.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess the sleeves really aren't terribly short. That photo I posted above with my arms spread wide is a pretty unnatural pose. I think what bugs me a little is the tugging at the armpit as I reach forward. The steerhide is pretty thick.

Honestly- I get that tugging with every CR I have ever tried on or owned except for those that are too large.
The design of the CR, form fitting and sleek, just will never feel like other designs ie. Highwayman, Suburban etc.
I agree completely and wish all my jackets had football underarms. Such a great under used element.

Yeah, the sleeves are shorter than I usually prefer. But to me they are close enough and I would keep it because of the overall fit and that fact that it is an old Taubers in great condition-- essentially what TM said.

How are the sleeves unzipped?

ai00344

One of the Regulars
You should thrilled, looks great and as I’m sure you know those suckers are hard to get right. In my experience tight arm holes relax after some initially uncomfortable wear

Gamma68

One Too Many
The sleeves unzipped seem fine. There is still some ride-up when I reach forward but I don't think it's extreme.

Y'know, I think I've just been lucky with regard to fit in my only other true cafe racer (a vintage Kehoe) because I think the fit on that one is spot-on perfect. So in my mind the Kehoe is sort of the "gold standard" I use to gauge fit when I try on another jacket. And like I said, the Kehoe is a thinner steerhide while this Taubers is much thicker. I don't think it's horsehide but it's a stiff leather. I haven't handled a ton of jackets but this leather has a great hand.

You guys have got me thinking that if I live with this jacket a little while, I'll come to love it. Here are some more photos to give you a closer look at it.

IMG_9368.JPG
IMG_9370.JPG
IMG_9372.JPG
IMG_9374.JPG
IMG_9376.JPG
IMG_9378.JPG
IMG_9380.JPG
IMG_9382.JPG

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It looks great and fits you very well.
Some people will tell you the sleeves are too short, but this is how i like mine.

It fits you perfectly though I would find the sleeves too short. But that's me. I can't stand wearing a jacket with sleeves ending at the wrist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points