• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Semi calado madness

Discussion in 'Hats' started by daizawaguy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Semi Calado

In case anyone is searching by thread, I wanted to start a new thread on semi calado`s, as there seems very little on the net about these wonderful hats...

After, passing through Art Fawcett`s magical hands

2" brim, 4" front crown
  2. I would like to hear Panama Bob chime in with some prices as I have been seriously considering one of those. The regular Panamas, which I love, are just so darn hot in the summer that this variety of Panama just may be the answer. :)
  3. handlebar bart

handlebar bart Call Me a Cab

Amazing. I'm considering one too. Sharp, sharp, sharp
  4. Is PanamaBob offering these?
  5. carouselvic

carouselvic My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, I have one on order.
  6. That is good to read.
    Daizawaguy's hat is the perfect summer lid.
  7. thomasrodd

thomasrodd New in Town

Me, too

Panama Bob quoted me a range of $140-400 depending on weave for a size 8 of this open-weave type, custom order due to size. Maybe later this year if I feel flush.

Last year I took out the liner and leather sweatband and put in a coolmax fabric band, and added large brass grommets -- not so pretty -- to make one of my panamas, a medium weave fedora from panama hats direct, comfortable for casual beach wear.

My other panama is a Stetson Center Dent, ok for business, but too hot for any exertion.

I wonder what an optimo or patron style semi-calado with a 2 3/4 or so brim would be like? Thoughts?
  8. Geez!:eusa_doh:

Pricing has a lot to do with market conditions, blocking, and size of crown/brim/hat.
  9. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

I advise to send a mail to PB - won`t be dissapointed in terms of price, service and the finished product - thanks PB :eusa_clap
  10. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Fine Montecristi patterned weave

11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener I'll Lock Up

Very nice! I will have add one these to my list. Really cool weave with open spaces for better ventilation (yes a very good thing).
  12. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Guaranteed ventilation on this one! In fact, so light you cannot feel it, and air flows right through...

13. :eusa_doh: I sent some to a hatter for finishing. He liked them so much, he bought them.

Many coming from Ecuador and all they say is "Ya, ya, Don Robert, ya vienen." And I tell them that we aren't very good waiters.
  14. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Oh no...what have I done...heard from 3 people on the lounge that they have now ordered semi-calados...and the hatters are stocking up too...!!?? Good choice though I would say for a mid-summer hat :D
  15. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

I don't know...the jury is out for me...I have seen some I like and others not particularly.
  16. Golden Earache

Golden Earache One of the Regulars

Does this count as a semi?

Just picked this one up for 10.20 shipped!

17. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Absolutely! A large semi though!:) lol
  18. Golden Earache

Golden Earache One of the Regulars

Thanks, Daiz, don't know how nice of a weave this one will have, but for the price, ya can't beat it! I am hoping the sweat is of the brown variety, but in the pics it looks black.

I'll post my own pics when I get it.
  19. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Some new pics for the summer. A Google of semi calado comes up with very little, so I`m hoping to contribute a little something on these fine hats...

20. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab