Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Semi calado madness

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
April2010005-2.jpg

daizawaguy said:
Found two sites with $1000+ semi calado`s.

How lucky we are to have Panama Bob supply us at a fraction of the cost :eusa_clap Thanks Bob!

http://www.montecristihatshop.com/products/Teardrop-Semi%2dCalado.html

http://www.hartfordyork.com/product/2431/montecristi-hats

Ouch! I've never been so flush that I didn't do a bit of research before forking over a grand or more for anything. For most people, the prospect of laying out a thousand dollars for a hat would prompt some very thorough comparison shopping. Or so I'd think. But maybe the rich (or the rich-for-a-day) really are different.

As I recall, this one was priced at $65 ...

IMGP1869.jpg

It's just a coarsely woven Cuenca. So yeah, it's a cheap hat. But that's part of its appeal to me. I can wear it without fretting much. Should the wind carry it off my head and into the moat at the zoo's lion exhibit, I wouldn't be at all tempted to go in after it.

It’s summer here is central California with the mercury already flirting with 100 degrees! I thought this thread deserves some attention. I’ve been peaking at some semi-calado Panama hats lately. I’d love to see more and hear some thoughts.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Ahhh, semi calado hats! They are lovely warm weather hats.

I would like to humbly add a more simple example. To my eye the simple pattern adds an elegance that I enjoy and my more modest pocketbook can afford.

i-nFVSRmT-M.jpg

i-KMzLZmv-M.jpg

The hat was blocked and set-up by Art Fawcett. A masters handwork is easily shown on this hat.

i-4Fbq97v-M.jpg

This is not a "fine" weave, but nonetheless spectacular in person and light and airy wearing.

i-q8t3Nqn-M.jpg

Daizawaguy's hats inspired my aquisition of this hat. Thanks sir. The hat is perfect for warm weather and I always feel classy wearing it.

Thanks for seeing my humble submission to the semi calado madness.

Cheers, Eric -

I would like to humbly add a more simple example. To my eye the simple pattern adds an elegance that I enjoy and my more modest pocketbook can afford.

i-nFVSRmT-M.jpg

i-KMzLZmv-M.jpg

The hat was blocked and set-up by Art Fawcett. A masters handwork is easily shown on this hat.

i-4Fbq97v-M.jpg

This is not a "fine" weave, but nonetheless spectacular in person and light and airy wearing.

i-q8t3Nqn-M.jpg

Daizawaguy's hats inspired my aquisition of this hat. Thanks sir. The hat is perfect for warm weather and I always feel classy wearing it.

Cheers, Eric -

And a wonderful and worthy addition it is.
I hope more can add to this thread. I’m even holding out some hope that Doug @Tukwila will return and add some of his fantastic hats. And I know that @Bill Hughes has some real beauties too.

i-nFVSRmT-M.jpg

i-KMzLZmv-M.jpg

i-4Fbq97v-M.jpg

i-q8t3Nqn-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Dammit....and so it begins again.....I don't have one of these semi's and they sure look great.

This one covers several firsts as it’s my first real straw and my first custom. A Tom Gomez made hat that I’ve had for five or six years as the sweat stained, sun faded navy ribbon can attest. With the way I sweat and the local humidity, outside of palm leaf hats, semi colado weaves are about the only ones that don’t become a pile of wet grass on top of my head. I have several Montecristi weave hats and though I like the fine weave ones, I don’t find them much cooler than a felt and they won’t hold up on my head in heavy humidity.
4E7CE5F3-5AFD-4895-A98F-325FBDDADD6C.jpeg
FC83E775-9B54-47B6-B817-C60A9D1B10DD.jpeg
A8A10F07-56CA-40AC-960A-22B72E456925.jpeg
B8634CFE-7480-4AAE-B4B1-45C50FB67777.jpeg
B869DBAA-569D-413E-9CF8-44732BDCDBE7.jpeg

This is a recent arrival from a US Military base in Japan. Much nicer than I anticipated and looks hardly worn. 150th anniversary hat that I assume Deckard had a hand in. The hat has a nice, consistent weave with one of the softest, most comfortable sweats I’ve encountered in a modern production hat. The leather of the sweat wraps around the reed and attaches to the tape on the back side. The crown is soft and the brim is quite firm but easily snaps down.
E46A3224-0B37-41B3-AFCB-45B2B97959AB.jpeg
11F41D2C-E450-4B2C-A288-97DF5C3E5EC6.jpeg
16A0950B-ECA0-4B52-B2F4-DFEE57E916AC.jpeg
E996557A-2AD9-4BF5-B2E6-A4F054CEDD83.jpeg
86880775-2A17-4407-AD6F-1F462A09C0A7.jpeg

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And a wonderful and worthy addition it is.
I hope more can add to this thread. I’m even holding out some hope that Doug @Tukwila will return and add some of his fantastic hats. And I know that @Bill Hughes has some real beauties too.
Yep I prefer semi-calado hats in the summer here in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Sometimes we go weeks without it getting under 100F. In fact I'm going to make a point of getting rid of most of my vintage Panama hats this year and almost only wearing Semi-Calados.

Mm25

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21