Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
...Do you shave the cat, too?

I'll be honest. Those electric vibrating rotating swiveling "razors" scare the hell out of me. I would never let one anywhere near my face. I'll stick to my Rodgers straight razor, thank you very much.
Oh, the electric Braun that cut me wasn't a rotary -- it was one with the foil head. The foil got nicked somehow, and a tiny spear of it stuck up, though I didn't see it. I made a pass down my cheek, felt a sting, thought I had pulled a hair out, and was starting a second pass when I saw the thin stripe of blood. (Did I say long story? Apparently not that long.) I've never had trouble with a rotary, but it's not a very close shave, or maybe I need to replace the heads.

No, the great Wolf wouldn't hold still for a shave, and I don't blame him. One of my late cats had to get shaved once at the vet, to remove some mats; they gave him what they called the lion cut. To me he looked less like a lion and more like a big orange version of the Taco Bell chihuahua.

Duke of Buckingham

New in Town
This morning:

Preparation: shower!
Shaving soap: Proraso
Brush: Vulfix #404 “Grosvenor”
Razor: WWII era Uk-made Gillette NEW (below)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum

No aftershave but two hard sprays of L'Occitane Vetyver. My hand wavered over the Knize Ten but I’d already put out a brown Harris Tweed jacket and find the Austrian prince demands something darker and more businesses-like.

Gillette NEW - WWII era razor by Matthew Wild, on Flickr

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Ok gentlemen, I would like to get into the vintage shave game. Where is a good place to find safety razors and is there one make better than the other? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ok gentlemen, I would like to get into the vintage shave game. Where is a good place to find safety razors and is there one make better than the other? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean you just want to shave the "vintage way", or do you mean you want true vintage equipment? If the latter, I can't offer an opinion.

If you simply want a good quality safety razor and equipment, there are numerous place to buy quality shaving gear, either in person or online. What's important to me is a good quality razor, one that is hefty for its size (let the weight of the razor do the work) and is comfortable in the hand. Sharp blades are a must. One of the benefits of going with a DE razor is that the blades are cheap, so you can change them every few shaves, or even every shave, if you wish. You can get blades as cheap as $8 for a pack of 100.

I buy my gear from www.westcoastshaving.com. I use an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth DE razor, with Astra platinum blades. I also have an Edwin Jagger best badger hair brush. I prefer shaving cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street in London. As for after shave, I eschew the fancier smells in favor of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. It's the what you smelled in every corner barbershop since you were a kid, and it just smells like "success" to me. Of course, your mileage mary vary, depending on your (or more importantly, the ladies in your life) preference.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Do you mean you just want to shave the "vintage way", or do you mean you want true vintage equipment? If the latter, I can't offer an opinion.

If you simply want a good quality safety razor and equipment, there are numerous place to buy quality shaving gear, either in person or online. What's important to me is a good quality razor, one that is hefty for its size (let the weight of the razor do the work) and is comfortable in the hand. Sharp blades are a must. One of the benefits of going with a DE razor is that the blades are cheap, so you can change them every few shaves, or even every shave, if you wish. You can get blades as cheap as $8 for a pack of 100.

I buy my gear from www.westcoastshaving.com. I use an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth DE razor, with Astra platinum blades. I also have an Edwin Jagger best badger hair brush. I prefer shaving cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street in London. As for after shave, I eschew the fancier smells in favor of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. It's the what you smelled in every corner barbershop since you were a kid, and it just smells like "success" to me. Of course, your mileage mary vary, depending on your (or more importantly, the ladies in your life) preference.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I agree with your statement about Pinaud Clubman, that is all I smelt when I'd step through the door at my barbershop. Thanks again for your help.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Lots of vintage stuff around...

P1050956_edited-1.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There are quite a few people on the Lounge who straight shave. I'm one of them. I gave up D.E. razors a while back, and now use a straight permanently. My blades are rather humble, but they do the job.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
With the help of the link HudsonHawk posted, I dove in head first yesterday. I purchased myself an Edwin Jagger razor and brush, Proraso Sandalwood Shaving cream, and Pinaud Clubman aftershave. I'm pretty excited for this stuff to show up, I can't wait to try it out.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372204885.503700.jpg

This is my usual setup for now. I really don't mean for this to look like an Art of Shaving commercial...lol. I wandered in to the Art of Shaving store at Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, one day and walked out with all you see here. Until then I had worn a full beard for over ten years. Now I have a Selleck style mustache.
The razor is a Mühle, which I use with Feather blades. The brush is silvertip badger, which I understand is made by Merkur, for Art of Shaving.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Today is my day off, but last night before work I had a wonderful shave with Van Der Hagen soap applied with an Edwin Jagger Pure Badger brush, razor was an Edwin Jagger DE and the blade a new Astra SP, followed with a rub from an alum block. The aftershave was Pinaud Clubman (a departure from my normal Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum).

I made a horrible trimming error on what used to be a pencil mustache, so now I have only a week's worth of stubble on my upper lip, but I hope again to have a decent William Powell style mustache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112