Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearer: Who is she.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, I just found this photo and I just have to share! This is a very nice one of Clark and Norma. I would like to focus on Norma in this. She was one of the biggest stars that MGM had in the early to late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. Now she isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t mentioned very much to day. Why? I think she was a great actress and some say that she wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t very pretty I think that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a load of?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ well, you know.

Something interesting about Norma, her poise, intelligence, her seemingly easy laughter, and sense of high style masked a deep insecurity and a tendency toward depression. Her face in fact often has a hard, mask like quality; her smile seems chiseled, unbreakable ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù the body armor of self-creation.

I hope you all enjoy the next few photos and that you will start to see as how I did that, she really was special!

Enjoy!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Norma Shearer

She won a beauty contest at age fourteen. In 1920 her mother, Edith Shearer, took Norma and her sister Athole Shearer (Mrs. Howard Hawks) to New York. Ziegfeld rejected her for his "Follies" but she got work as an extra in several movies. Irving Thalberg had seen her early efforts and, when he joined Louis B. Mayer in 1923, gave her a five year contract. He thought she should retire after their marriage, but she wanted bigger parts. Her first talkie was in Trial of Mary Dugan, The (1929); four movies later she won an Oscar in Divorcee, The (1930). She intentionally cut down film exposure during the thirties, relying on major roles in Thalberg's prestige projects: Barretts of Wimpole Street, The (1934), Romeo and Juliet (1936) (her fifth Oscar nomination). Thalberg died of pneumonia September 1936, aged thirty-seven. Norma wanted to retire but MGM more-or-less forced her into a six-picture contract. David O. Selznick offered her the part of Scarlett O'Hara, but public objection killed the deal. She starred in Women, The (1939), turned down the starring role in Mrs. Miniver (1942), and retired in 1942. Later that year she married Sun Valley ski instructor Martin Arrouge, twenty years younger than she (he waived community property rights). From then on she shunned the limelight; she was in very poor health the last decade of her life.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Is she perhaps Norma Desmond?

Did you see the film "Sunset Boulevard" with Gloria Swanson and William Holden?
Similarities?

"'Sunset Blvd.' contains one of the best performances by Gloria Swanson. She plays Norma Desmond, an actress who was famous in the time of silent movies. Now she wants to be known again and has written her own script. A writer Joe Gillis (William Holden) is helping her with the script. He stays with her and in return she gives him everything he needs. 'Sunset Blvd.' tells the story of an aged woman, mainly in her head, who wants her fame she once had back in her life. On the edge of craziness Joe almost is imprisoned by Norma, because she needs him to know she is still attractive enough (he is half her age). The movie starts with Joe lying dead in a swimming pool and Joe's voice explains what things has happened leading to this tragic end."

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow, good job Andy! You seem to know a deal about Norma Shearer. Thanks for adding that info! Me, I love her early talking films. I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t seen any of her silent work but, I intend to get around to it. Right now my TV is not working and will be some time till that gets fixed.

Sunset Blvd I believe I have seen parts of. Not 100% sure though. It sure sounds familiar. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll have to check it out soon.

Night,

Root.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Norma always had my vote as a Goddess!

I have a whole load of shots of her, but it's easy to get an overkill, so just sample this, and dream on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff