Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care / Shoe Shine

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
WolfeMan said:
Where can one buy mink oil without going online? Would somewhere like Walmart, CVS, or Publix (a supermarket for those who don't have them) carry it, or will i have to look elsewhere?
Thanks,
Wolfe

I get it at Wal-Mart. It's in the shoe section. I have a pair of Doc Martens and a pair of Sperrys that I use it on. It does not give much shine, but it protects the leather if they get wet often. Those two pair are the ones I wear in the rain, so they get the Mink Oil.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Picked some up at Wal-Mart today, application is in progress. However Ive noticed one toe is significantly darker than the other, going to try a few things to fix it.
Wolfe

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I have a question, and this seems as good a place for it as any:

I just won a used pair of Allen Edmonds Byrons on ebay. They were advertised as black, and now that they have arrived it appears to me that they were once brown and someone has been using black polish on them. At a casual glance, they indeed appear black. There are places, however, where brown seems to be showing through, and the edges of the leather (and parts of the tongue) look brown.

My question is, and forgive me if I am terribly ignorant here, should I just keep using black polish and treat them as black shoes, or is there a way to "strip off" the added color and restore them to their original shade?

Keep in mind, they are in great shape and fit me perfectly, so I in no way regret my purchase. I was just curious...

Qirrel

Practically Family
You could remove the black polish (with alcohol), but that would remove the original colour, which also comes from some type of polish. If you want them to be black, you can keep using black polish on the areas which still appear brown.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
You could remove the black polish (with alcohol), but that would remove the original colour, which also comes from some type of polish. If you want them to be black, you can keep using black polish on the areas which still appear brown.

That's kind of what I had been thinking. Thank you.

Ed88

New in Town
Sorry to barge in but I guess it depends on what colour you want these. If its the brown your after, you can get certain products to help remove the wax/ polish layers to restore the former glory but restoration to the previous colour will still be difficult. I would suggest use of a black cream and black polish to darken the lighter pigmented areas.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Herzen, I think this is an interesting situation. I've known fellas to slap cordovan on brown shoes, or brown on cordovan shoes, but I've not seen anyone using black on brown. Can you post pictures for review?

I don't want to speak too soon, but it might be useful to see pictures in order to determine if this was an error on part of the shoemaker (e.g. incomplete dying process), an error on part of the previous shoe owner (i.e. wrong color polish), or perhaps a result of contact with a damaging substance.

I would not recommend alcohol on any pair of fine leather shoes. Some folks of years past used to "spit shine" their toes with a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol, and certainly it gave a shine, but I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near the shoe if you can help it, for any reason.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Herzen, I think this is an interesting situation. I've known fellas to slap cordovan on brown shoes, or brown on cordovan shoes, but I've not seen anyone using black on brown. Can you post pictures for review?

I don't want to speak too soon, but it might be useful to see pictures in order to determine if this was an error on part of the shoemaker (e.g. incomplete dying process), an error on part of the previous shoe owner (i.e. wrong color polish), or perhaps a result of contact with a damaging substance.

I would not recommend alcohol on any pair of fine leather shoes. Some folks of years past used to "spit shine" their toes with a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol, and certainly it gave a shine, but I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near the shoe if you can help it, for any reason.

Black polish on brown shoes is a perilous venture.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I checked out the footwear of the 40-odd other people present, I was obviously the only one who shined his shoes on a regular basis. Most of the footwear was either dull in original finish, or plain neglected, not taking into account the running shoes etc.
Footwear seems to be entering the disposable bracket.
shu001ih5.jpg

With most people today buying cheap shoes for $100 or less, why would these people put any effort into maintaining disposable shoes? You could even buy shoes for less than $50.

I recently picked up a pair of Sears Diehard oxfords for $35. Made in China. Cushioned insole. Full leather lining. Goodyear welt. Padded collar around the ankles. Steel toe. Steel shank. Non-slip rubber sole. Polishes to a spit shine with no effort. Actually, a very well made shoe. Well worth the $35 for a pair of shoes that are comfortable, and that I intend on abusing at work. And the Diehard line comes with a 2 year warranty from Sears.

Not that these will replace my good shoes. But I can see why people buy cheap shoes, and don't bother caring for them.

Yet, I shine my cheap shoes regularly, and will re-sole them if the shoes hold up. I've already worn them for 3 years, and they are still in great condition.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Clean shoes with saddle soap. Wipe off with a soft cloth.

Apply mink oil, neatsfoot oil, or even flax seed oil. Apply a liberal coat. Wipe off excess with a soft cloth. Do this once a day for 3 - 5 days, so that your leather is well oiled.

Then apply a light coat of shoe cream such as Meltonian brand. Allow at least 30 minutes to dry. Brush off excess with a horsehair brush. Repeat process until you have at least 3 good coats.

Now apply a couple of light coats of paste wax, such as Lincoln or Kiwi brand. Allow time to dry, and brush, between coats.

Use a spray bottle, and spray shoe with a light mist of water. Then buff to a shine with a shine cloth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko