Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care / Shoe Shine

A

Ande1963

Shoe Shine Tips

I just got THIS for Father's Day. I had a lot of fun shining my two pairs of dress shoes this morning. The buffer is easy to use, does a good job, and even conjures up distant memories as the faint smell of ozone drifts up from the old motor.

So, while I did a good enough job with just polishing and buffing, using simple black and brown polish, I wondered if there are other steps that might help me get a better shine, or one that will last longer. I thought some of you vintage shoe-wearers might have some tips.

By the way, I don't wear vintage shoes myself. My horribly flat feet require good support, and I wear orthotics. I favor simple modern shoes... usually as plain as they come, and almost always without laces.

Thanks,
Anj

Cicero

A-List Customer
You can polish your shoes with a plain nylon stockings/pantyhose.
For exampla a 'used' one your lady doesn't need anymore.
Use the method on yourself like a shoeshineboy do with a cloth wrapping your shoes.
It gives a nice shiny result.
We do this all the time in the military.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Father's Day gift, Ande1963. If more stuff said in their advertisements "It's fun!" I would buy more advertised stuff.
I didn't know that about the old stocking technique. My husband who had to shine his boots last year in the Army (he's in Iraq now wearing suede) suggests Kiwi Parade Gloss. He was crazy about that stuff. Available in the shoe care section of the drugstore, supermarket, discount store or PX.
Thoughts on Parade Gloss, Loungers?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Othotics without Laces????

Ande1963 said:
I just got THIS for Father's Day. I had a lot of fun shining my two pairs of dress shoes this morning. The buffer is easy to use, does a good job, and even conjures up distant memories as the faint smell of ozone drifts up from the old motor.

So, while I did a good enough job with just polishing and buffing, using simple black and brown polish, I wondered if there are other steps that might help me get a better shine, or one that will last longer. I thought some of you vintage shoe-wearers might have some tips.

By the way, I don't wear vintage shoes myself. My horribly flat feet require good support, and I wear orthotics. I favor simple modern shoes... usually as plain as they come, and almost always without laces.

Thanks,
Anj

This seems to be surprising thing to do...orthotics require a special lacing.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
Nice Father's Day gift, Ande1963. If more stuff said in their advertisements "It's fun!" I would buy more advertised stuff.
I didn't know that about the old stocking technique. My husband who had to shine his boots last year in the Army (he's in Iraq now wearing suede) suggests Kiwi Parade Gloss. He was crazy about that stuff. Available in the shoe care section of the drugstore, supermarket, discount store or PX.
Thoughts on Parade Gloss, Loungers?

Parade Gloss is ok occasionally, but using it every time can dry and damage the leather. The best polish is actually a cream polish. You don't get quite the same shine as with paste polishes, but it moisturizes and restores the leather. I usually use a cream, and occasionally will use a paste to "brighten" the shine again. On my black shoes (which I also wear with my EMS dress uniform) I'll sometimes use Parade Gloss and a good buffing cloth to really brighten them up.

-Jake

dr greg

One Too Many
Shinin' on

I attended a 50th birthday party on the weekend and a young girl..well she was 21, came up and was raving about my boots, or more specifically, the shine thereon, "how do THEY get them like that" well actually says I: "it's an ancient and secret ritual involving rare implements and lotions and must be performed every time they are worn or the spell will be broken".
I realised she had probably never seen a well-cared for pair of shoes or boots before even though she works in an executive headhunting company, and as I checked out the footwear of the 40-odd other people present, I was obviously the only one who shined his shoes on a regular basis. Most of the footwear was either dull in original finish, or plain neglected, not taking into account the running shoes etc.
Footwear seems to be entering the disposable bracket.
shu001ih5.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
People have no need to shine their shoes since most (men anyways) only have 1 pair of dress shoes or less. Quite unfortunate.

kschurch

Vendor
I quite enjoy shining my own shoes and you're right...most men don't seem to care. Why ruin a perfectly good suit combination with dirty shoes!

I'm assuming those are a well worn pair of RM Williams?

dr greg

One Too Many
spot on

Of course they are, but I only got them about a year ago for $10, they were a size too small, so I did the old trick of filling them with methyl alcohol until soaked, wearing with thick socks until dried out, then given lashings of neatsfoot oil, after that dried again in the sun, polished with Angelus cordovan shoe wax, and worn in, they now fit like kid gloves.
I've worn RM's for over 30 years now new and old, and they still command respect and admiration wherever in the world they've trod.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spit shine

I must confess, exposure to the Lounge has made me pay a little more attention to the state of my shoes. Another reason to appreciate the Lounge.
One thing I've noticed lately, that's actually been going on for a long time, is that United States Marines in their DRESS BLUES now wear PATENT friggin' LEATHER SHOES instead of spit shining their regular dress shoes! Speaking as an ex Marine I can only deplore this trend. Spit shining is an arduous process, and an art that must be learned. But it creates a shine that nothing else, including patent leather, can rival. :rage:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jgilbert said:
It is sad to think that a pair of shined shoes or boots is a lost art.

Art my eye. If it were such a cherished 'art,' then shoeshine 'boys' would have made a better living out of it.

:rage: I hate polishing. It's a necessary evil. And yes, I do it the right way: with an open flame, hot water, cotton balls and q-tips, brushes, a chamois cloth and nylon hose. Thanks for brainwashing me, U.S. Navy. :confused:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
And yes, I do it the right way: with an open flame, hot water, cotton balls and q-tips, brushes, a chamois cloth and nylon hose.

We really need a "Shoe Shine 101" thread. I'd do it, but I don't think my method is up to snuff.

(open flame???)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Yes, open flame. You know those cans of hard wax polish? Well, pop one open and light it up. Let the wax burn for several seconds, then blow it out. Dip the cloth into the melted polish --DON'T scoop up too much of it!-- and gently rub the still-hot stuff into the shoe leather, preferably in small circular motions ... as if you were polishing your car.

Fun stuff, huh? :p

To be continued ...

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
One thing I've noticed lately, that's actually been going on for a long time, is that United States Marines in their DRESS BLUES now wear PATENT friggin' LEATHER SHOES instead of spit shining their regular dress shoes!

No, they don't. They wear corfram shoes; you know, plastic. I still have a pair.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Corfam! They were experimenting with that back when I was in. UGLY! I didn't realize it was still around. Anyway, I still think the a real spit shine looks a million percent better than all those other artificial things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21