Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care / Shoe Shine

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, open flame. You know those cans of hard wax polish? Well, pop one open and light it up. Let the wax burn for several seconds, then blow it out. Dip the cloth into the melted polish --DON'T scoop up too much of it!-- and gently rub the still-hot stuff into the shoe leather, preferably in small circular motions ... as if you were polishing your car.

Fun stuff, huh? :p

To be continued ...

Sheesh. That's way more work than it's worth. I acquired a contraband heat gun while in tech school and simply heated the polish into the pores after application. Kept the heat gun hidden under my dresser during inspections. Managed to smuggle it out when I shipped home, so it's still getting use.

I ditched my issue dress shoes when I got home in favor for my Stafford cap toes, which are within regs. Much lighter, better support, leather soles, and the cap toes don't have any brouging, so it's very subtle, yet different.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Gunny Shockley cogently and sincerely stated his opinion,....

"You miserable, low life form, maggots. You incomparable bitsa boot bottom shit!!!!" "Shine them dress lows the right way, Goddamit!!
An' NOT with no fu-kin' Hershey bar!"
"You will ALL suffer the lowest n'bitter reaches v' Hell a' MY making; and I make the Devil cry wi' envy!
"Get that Kiwi on right, asshole!"
"You aint paintin' no ******* barn!"
"Yore Momma aint here to do it for you, and I sure as shit aint yore Momma!"

"I wanna be able to see th' red second hand a' my watch in them low quarters, or you will ALL Trail arms until 1960 comes draggin' along. GOT THAT Maggots!!!???"

Answer: "Yes SIR!"

Reply: "SIR!!!? " SIR!!!!!!!!???" "I aint no ******* Officer"

Answer: "Yes Gunnery Sergeant!!"

Reply: "That better. Now get to it and get er done Godamn it!!!!"

Note: Those were the Cordovan Low quarters days on the early 1950's of the U.S.M.C. Still I would'nt trade it for a sack of gold, lets go on with the show.

chuckknight

New in Town
Caring for exotic boots

Living in Texas, I often find boots on discount sales, or even at thrift stores. OR, like I did yesterday, just buy a pair of elephant boots on a lark.

Well, I've never really done much with exotics. And, upon getting them home, I realized that I genuinely don't know how to care for them!

Obviously I don't put a mirror shine on them like some...I don't even polish them as I understand, but they need conditioning and a color polish occasionally?

Thought I'd better ask...and where better, than here...before I ruin them unintentionally!

HELP!

HOW DOES ONE TAKE CARE OF ELEPHANT (or other exotic) BOOTS?

-- Chuck Knight

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Elephant leather

chuckknight said:
Living in Texas, I often find boots on discount sales, or even at thrift stores. OR, like I did yesterday, just buy a pair of elephant boots on a lark.

Well, I've never really done much with exotics. And, upon getting them home, I realized that I genuinely don't know how to care for them!

Obviously I don't put a mirror shine on them like some...I don't even polish them as I understand, but they need conditioning and a color polish occasionally?

Thought I'd better ask...and where better, than here...before I ruin them unintentionally!

HELP!

HOW DOES ONE TAKE CARE OF ELEPHANT (or other exotic) BOOTS?

-- Chuck Knight

From my observation that stuff is near indestructible - probably a bit of leather conditioner at most.

chuckknight

New in Town
Thanks! I've spoken to several cobblers, and they gave me some conflicting information...but most said nothing more than an occasional conditioning and maybe, IF I managed to scratch them, some color matched boot cream.

Now...what about other exotics? Others might benefit from such a thread. I know that in my own case, I intend to keep my eyes open for ostrich, stingray, etc...now that I've been initiated into the wonderful world of exotic boots.

-- Chuck Knight

Yeah, I'm right with you, Chuck. I've developed a cowboy boot habit, too. And I'm all to familiar with that "conflicting information" of which you speak. I am certain that people who really now their stuff can be found at the western wear stores, but it seems that whenever I drop in there's some pleasant but uninformed young person watching the shop.

How about eelskin? I happen to have a pair. A deep red color. Way cool, you know, but I fear they just won't hold up to much "real world" wear. So they come out only for occasions that aren't likely to involve dirt or much by way of physical activity.

funneman

Practically Family
My only experience is with snakeskin and shark.

They're both as tough as nails. I can't think of anything I could do to these boots to improve on Mother Nature.

I did get caught in the rain in the snakeskin boots and noticed that they turned from creamy white to a pale yellow color, but other than that, they've both held up very well to anything I could dish out.

Wear 'em and enjoy 'em.

ideaguy

One Too Many
ouch. snakeskin doesn't like getting wet. neither do snakes, for that matter.
but to the subject-with pedestrian exotics like lizard and ostrich, a good polish
like Meltonian should suffice-it feeds the skin, helps keep it elastic, which is probably the most important thing, and will help preserve the color some...
I've used Kiwi polish on ostrich boots-just a little dab-size of my fingernail-and gloss over the high spots-this done after laying down a base coat of a lighter shade polish or a neutral conditioner; using the Kiwi in a slightly darker color than the base color will really make the "eyes" pop. have used Kiwi on lizard, to help match color, and it really works the skin well-it's not so liquid that it changes the hue of the skin to a blah dark brown with black "scales" showing-the Kiwi polish has enough wax in it to penetrate some,and leave a protective coating on the surface, as well as color; then a quick hit with a good quality soft shoe brush will help get it in the little cracks of the exotic skins. Elephant-well, rather not go there. Too mean of a subject and practice.

chuckknight

New in Town
ideaguy said:
Elephant-well, rather not go there. Too mean of a subject and practice.

Can you say sustainable harvesting? Happily, we've moved beyond the days of the widespread massacre of species like elephants, just for the hide and tusks. Same reason I don't oppose cow leather...we use the entire resource.

That's why elephant is available again...managed sustainable harvesting and a responsible use of the resource. And, it's awfully good looking, too!

My new boots are new Tony Lamas, with the proper stamps on them. Not worried about their origin, in the slightest.

Now...a joke about endangered species, to lighten the mood.

On the old TV show "Frasier." Nils said that his wife, Maris, "always goes to those events"...and that she is very interested in preserving endangered species. "She, after all, has shoes made from almost all of them!"

It was the perfect straight line. :)

-- Chuck Knight

kenji

New in Town
I've been bitten by the bug, too. Went from 0 to 7 pairs of cowboy boots in the past 3 months. Not sure why.

The subject of exotic leather care has come up a few times on Jennifer June's site, dimlights.com (currently down). Bick 4 is often prescribed for cleaning and Meltonian delicate cream (#170) for finishing. I've used both on ostrich, calf, and lizard with good effect.

Stay away from the drugstore wax-based stuff.

Meltonian

I have a pair of cordovan Dan Post lizard-skin boots. I have used Meltonian, not only on that pair, but on all my boots. Meltonian has, I've been told, some sort of leather "dye" that can color nicks and cuts on smooth, thin leather. I have a pair of plain brown Justin ropers that I wear to work with khakis. I stubbed the toe on one of them. I put a heavy dab of the cream on the small nick and let it dry overnight. The next morning I buffed the toe and had to get right up on it to barely see the nick. It was a perfect color match. The cream really penetrates the leather.

Mark George

New in Town
I like Bick 4 conditioner for all smooth leathers (not suede or rough-out). It really moisturizes the leather, and won't darken light colors. I also make sure to condition the leather lining inside the boots, as well as the soles. I like Bick 4 because I only need one product to condition all my boots - work and dress.

None of the reptile hides (snake, lizard, gator, and croc) are considered to be particularly durable, and are sometimes laminated to sturdier leather before they are made into boots. The typical failure mode for reptile boots is the area between the scales, and I have read accounts by others that indicate that keeping that part (the hinge) well-conditioned increases the longevity of the boots.

I have also been told (by people that profess to know such things) that boot creams are the way to go for touching up color, rather than the waxy stuff in tins. Either way, buffing with a horsehair brush does wonders, especially over time. I try to brush my dress boots, tops and bottoms, after each time I wear them, and they seem to to have a deeper luster than they used to. And, a nice shine.

Mark

My last pair of Tony LLama brown snakeskins ripped like paper after getting wet so I caution against getting snakeskin wet. My Dan Posts are still in very good condition for their age. They get treated with Lexol every once in a while and it keeps them supple. My stingray boots are cleaned with the Lexol cleaner once in a while and treated with the Lexol conditioner after that. Stingray is durable as heck and can get wet without worry---they live in water after all. ;)
I have a pair of Elephant boots from the old Palace Boot shop. They get treated the same as the Stingray. They are extremely durable and water proof as well. Probably tied with the stingray as my favorites.
I am wearing my Tony Lama Shrunken Shoulder black Inca goat today. They are faily durable but scuffs on them stay noticeable as the color is mottled. I just keep them clean and well treated with Lexol. They are boots so a little wear gives them character. ;)

Regards,

J

Mary

Practically Family
These aren't boots!

2008_0420skorhjlp0004-1.jpg

But maybe snakeskin? How should I look after them?

I'm also looking for treads on the fedora lounge that's about shoecare, or books or other websites. We ladies have a tread in the powder room but I want to know more!

M

Erik

One of the Regulars
Your snake skin shoes need to be regularly conditioned. I recommend visiting your local western wear store for advice and options.

***Which... Will be a pretty neat trick in Sweden! ***

So...

First clean them using a damp cloth or soft brush. Then, apply a wax free conditioner* in several thin layers. Polish may be used at this point, but sparringly. Finally, a non-silicone water and stain protector may be applied. I skip the last step, having found it unecessary.

*I've used a variety over the years and would be hard pressed to recommend one, as they all worked as advertised. Currently I've got a bottle of Meltonian All Purpose Conditioner someone gave me a few years back. An internet search for "snake skin boot conditioner" should provide you with plenty of options.

Best,
Erik

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Erik and BellyTank! Thought there weren't any gentmen here ready to come to my rescue!

There's a western boots cobbler opposite the cinema.:) Have been there before looking for other stuff but wasn't impressed then. But maybe he'll know his reptiles.

I went to this other cobbler for dancing shoes. He said to use Mink oil. What do you think Erik? I'll definitely search the internet some more as you said.

Do you know where I can find all I need to know about cleaning and shoecare of old shoes. Is there a tread amongst you gents? Or a good webpage to trust?

Thanks again for answering!

M

Erik

One of the Regulars
Mary,
I like leather and exotic products and take the time to ask folks in the know the does and don'ts of caring for them. Repeatedly, various leather craftsmen and/or people dealing in leather products have warned me away from mink and similar oil-heavy conditioners. Your mileage may vary and likely somone will come along citing years of use with out problems, however, I'll continue to avoid them and recommend to others to do so as well.

Best,
Erik

Edited to denote "oil-heavy," instead of "oil-based."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto