Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care / Shoe Shine

Mary

Practically Family
I believe in you! Have been looking around on the internet and no one has said use minkoil on any of the pages I've visited.

What most people say is

Clean with a cotton cloth with some water on it.
Use a conditioner made for these types of skins. Like the one you suggested.

And the don't so far.

Don't use saddle soap.
Don't use waterproof spray.
Don't use colored shoepolish but not everybody said that.

Don't you think it's a bit strange that you can't see the ingredients on shoepolish? You simply have to trust them that their product is as good as they say. Only a few say what it contains and some only what not inside.

Just out of curiosity. What do you think the Meltonian All-purpose clener and conditioner contains. (I'm a bit of a knowledgefreak)

M

Erik

One of the Regulars
I've also noticed that manufacturers tend to treat their ingredients like closely guarded secrets. They'd probably claim that it is to protect themselves from the competition, but I believe it is to keep the consumer from being confused, as inevitably they proabably use oils and waxes in the production process and do not want to confuse folks who are looking for certain products "free" of oils and waxes.

Take the Meltonian product I have: I have no idea what, specifically, the oil content or blend in it is.

Likewise, I have had wax based products which certainly had some oil content in them, yet right on the box the maker purported the product to be an alternative to oil based products.

It probably comes down to what the lawyers demand, or haven't yet.

I hope that makes sense.

Mary said:
I believe in you! Have been looking around on the internet and no one has said use minkoil on any of the pages I've visited.

What most people say is

Clean with a cotton cloth with some water on it.
Use a conditioner made for these types of skins. Like the one you suggested.

And the don't so far.

Don't use saddle soap.
Don't use waterproof spray.
Don't use colored shoepolish but not everybody said that.

Don't you think it's a bit strange that you can't see the ingredients on shoepolish? You simply have to trust them that their product is as good as they say. Only a few say what it contains and some only what not inside.

Just out of curiosity. What do you think the Meltonian All-purpose clener and conditioner contains. (I'm a bit of a knowledgefreak)

M

I would treat them the same way I treat my snake skin boots. Keep them away from water. If you clean them use something like Lexol cleaner followed by Lexol conditioner. Clean carefully with the grain of the scales. After cleaning, immediately apply the Lexol conditioner. You don't want to let it dry out. My snakeskin is natural so I don't use polish. You have got me there. [huh]
Waterproof spray might be a good idea but then I wonder how you would treat it occasionally with Lexol. I would err on the side of caution. :D
I even treat the soles of my vintage leather shoes to keep them from cracking with use. Apply liberally and let it soak in.

Mary

Practically Family
Erik. It still doesn't make sence to me, I only get annoyed.

So leather conditioner is either wax or oil? Then I belive there are some made of petrolium. Is the oil you're thinking of made from petrolium, animals or things that have grown in the soil? Some have said to keep away from petrolium but I don't really know why.

Since you seem to know so much. Are the oil-ones best for everything?

JamesPower. Thanks for sharing your shoecleaning routine! I won't put any water on them now! Good that you pointed out that I shouldn't wait between the cleaning and the conditioning.

And do you use the same thing on the soles? And how often?

And if you have an opinion of what I write above to Erik, please post it.

You see I'm trying to make a routine of my own that I can stick to for life!:)

M

Mary said:
JamesPower. Thanks for sharing your shoecleaning routine! I won't put any water on them now! Good that you pointed out that I shouldn't wait between the cleaning and the conditioning.

And do you use the same thing on the soles? And how often?

And if you have an opinion of what I write above to Erik, please post it.

You see I'm trying to make a routine of my own that I can stick to for life!:)

M

I don't clean the soles first as it just seems too finicky. ;) I just apply the Lexol conditioner monthly.
Polish for dress shoes is pretty simple for me---Kiwi:
31AxH21664L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

I have no idea what they put in it but it works. :p

Erik

One of the Regulars
It is apparently a multi-wax blend with more carnuba wax than regular paste polishes. It is neat stuff.

But...

"Since you seem to know so much."

No, no, no. Not true. I've just been advised along the way and that advise has worked for me.

"Are the oil-ones best for everything?"

I'm sure there are exceptions, but they'll do for most of your uses, applied sparringly as necessary, of course. Now that I think of it, I condition my regularly worn shoes and boots every one to three months, and rely on polishes the rest of the time.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Mary, are Meltonian creams available where you live? The leather dealer where I live recommended Meltonian Delicate Cream (#170), and it has worked wonders. I have purchased snake and crocodile watchbands from the 1950s and 60s that were dry as paper when I got them, so dry that when I flexed the snake band just the SLIGHTEST, a tiny crack formed. I used the Delicate Cream, and now these bands are good as new. It's astonishing, really...and the aroma is heavenly, sort of a light citrus with faint vanilla tones.

Mary

Practically Family
Oh, teacher, that soulds lovely. You should be a salesman if you're not. My shoes aren't as dry as that but that sounds great. Shoes can't be too soft! I want to try it but I'll have to see what I can find.

I went to the cowboybootshop today but the guy was on holiday for a week so I have to have some patience.

Thanks Erik. You have to explain this:

"Now that I think of it, I condition my regularly worn shoes and boots every one to three months, and rely on polishes the rest of the time."

What does this mean? How often do you use polish? And why polish and not conditioning? So you can condition something too much?

And James Power. Once a month seems fine by me. Will do as soon as a get some good stuff!

If you have any advice on how to care for suede shoes I've posted in the suede shoes thread too.

But I have to thank you again for your response here. To many cobbler have tried to sell me all kinds of things when I've been asking for something for my shoes and I probably would have ruined them by now if it wasn't for you.

Send you some sunshine from sunny Malmö! :)

M

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
leatherique precards

I use leatherique oil on all my leatherwear including fine western boots and leather jackets. I use the leatherique on boots when I want to clean and condition. The oil soaks into the leather and raises dirt to the surface. I use a shoe brush to work the oil in than a soft cloth to wipe the excess oil and dirt off. For touch up on clean boots I brush in Pecard leather dressing.
http://www.leatherique.com/

Justdog

Practically Family
Elephant boots

chuckknight said:
Living in Texas, I often find boots on discount sales, or even at thrift stores. OR, like I did yesterday, just buy a pair of elephant boots on a lark.

Well, I've never really done much with exotics. And, upon getting them home, I realized that I genuinely don't know how to care for them!

Obviously I don't put a mirror shine on them like some...I don't even polish them as I understand, but they need conditioning and a color polish occasionally?

Thought I'd better ask...and where better, than here...before I ruin them unintentionally!

HELP!

HOW DOES ONE TAKE CARE OF ELEPHANT (or other exotic) BOOTS?

-- Chuck Knight

Take a read up on mink oil. I use it on my boots. Very nice.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I don't clean the soles first as it just seems too finicky. ;) I just apply the Lexol conditioner monthly.
Polish for dress shoes is pretty simple for me---Kiwi:
31AxH21664L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

I have no idea what they put in it but it works. :p

Don't use the Kiwi Parade Gloss... it is too vicious ...just regular standard KIwi my shoe repair guy reckons.

Justdog said:
Take a read up on mink oil. I use it on my boots. Very nice.

Another no no with leather...FWIW destroys the leather...use proper leather conditioner...

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sea trutle / anteater

Is any one experienced with sea turtle as a boot / shoe leather I am thinking it might be fragile like snake and reptile skin. I am also curious about anteater being I just picked up a pair of M. L. Leddy anteater boots
Leedyanteater.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Protective

chuckknight said:
Living in Texas, I often find boots on discount sales, or even at thrift stores. OR, like I did yesterday, just buy a pair of elephant boots on a lark.

Well, I've never really done much with exotics. And, upon getting them home, I realized that I genuinely don't know how to care for them!

Obviously I don't put a mirror shine on them like some...I don't even polish them as I understand, but they need conditioning and a color polish occasionally?

Thought I'd better ask...and where better, than here...before I ruin them unintentionally!

HELP!

-- Chuck Knight

Might want to take a read on this as well.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0048711812594a.shtml
Not as harsh on the stiching

Justdog

Practically Family
chuckknight said:

HELP!

-- Chuck Knight

For elephant boots

That is not based on fact. Mink oil is not always the best for every leather
but it should be fine for those boots. Cream or lotion based products will
be better than using a paste.
The best thing to do would be to check with the manufacturer if you have
specific questions about their product.

Georges Shoes & Repair
3673 Lexington Ave N
Arden Hills, MN 55126
www.emocs.com
www.georgesshoes.com

PoohBang

Suspended
Shoe Shine Kits

I looked for a thread on Shoe Shine Kits but didn't find any.

This is my Shoe Shine kit... I've put it together over they years and have about everything I need for my shoes and boots...

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05236.jpg

as always more pics on my blog...

Now lets see your shoe shine kits...

sfend002

Familiar Face
Good thread. I have been looking at one of those shine boxes with the step made on stop. Been wanting one for years. Would love to find one locally to avoid shipping a big wood box.

On a side note I went to three stores today trying to find a shoe horn. Who would have thought it would be so hard to find [huh]

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Shining shoes

I recently bought what is really my first pair of "professional" or "dress" shoes to try and look more professional at work. (I try to dress by the saying, "Dress for the job you want," and thus like to look sharp for work, even though I'm merely selling cameras in a specialty retail environment.) My only concern about the shoes is that they will undoubtedly require a regular shine and polish.

I went looking for shoe shining kits, devices, etc, but they all say that they will give your shoes "that glossy, mirror" look, or some such thing. My shoes are shiny and somewhat glossy (kind of a matte shine), but I do not want to be wearing mirrors on my feet.

Is that super shiny finish on shoes a matter of what kind of product you use to shine them, or is it the result of how the shoes were manufactured and how the leather was originally treated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21