Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get a perm? Advice please.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I love love love love my perm!!! My hairdresser was reluctant to do it but I kept at her. She kept saying that only older ladies get perms lol. Finally I explained that as I like to set my hair and that perms help keep your set longer she gave in. Yes it makes everything better but it did dry out my hair a bit but again it was greasy so it helped there! Did I mention I love my perm!!

:D That's great! The more replies I read the more excited I am about having mine done! :)

Romamor4

Familiar Face
Than maybe it was just my hair. I could comb it while it's wet. But, if I tried to comb it while it's dry.. I'd get an afro. That is because I had very small curls. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_30PRmkOl4.../s400/Trendy+Short+Curly+Hair+Styles+2009.jpg ..like this.
About the "sheep" look. Sorry.. I had that one every time I wash my hair. :( Could be just that my hair was like that.

Stray Cat, I had the same issues with my perm. I looked like a sheep and I had the same size curls in the picture you showed. I think that is more of a perm than a body wave. I only liked having a perm because it made my hair look like it had more volume. I also was told I could only get that size of a curl or else the perm will fall out due to my type of hair (thin, straight, and very fine). I recently tried hot rollers and pin curls for the first time though and LOVED the results! My hair looks much fuller! With the perm, you can still see through my hair, but with the rollers, it looks much thicker.

My hair on a perm:

me by Romamor4, on Flickr

As you can see, it's very stringy. She used very little hair for each curl because she said the curl wouldn't stay long otherwise. This is also after it grew out a bit.

My hair on hot rods. teehee

193465_10150112619698807_572833806_6637541_1829150_o by Romamor4, on Flickr

Ahhh much better!

I would seriously consider getting a perm again as well, if I could get a wave instead. The purpose being the same as you, Frenchy, to make my pin curls have more staying power.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I am FINALLY getting my perm today! :D I am so excited, I swear that's why I didn't sleep very well :p thanks again to everyone that took the time to reply to this thread and advise me!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
...I think it went well :D My hairdresser was impressed with the condition of my hair, obviously my new setting routine has done it good, not having to wash it so often and not blowdrying it! She said that it took really well and that there was very little damage to my hair, which is great!

It's difficult to judge its full effect at the moment, mostly because the way my hairdresser set it is not how I would- she used much larger rollers because she was worried that smaller ones would make it go too curly. She also had to use a thick conditioner on it to help protect my hair, which is weighing it down a bit. I can't WAIT til I can re-set it- she told me to wait 4 days minimum so I'll do it Friday night. When it was wet I could definitely feel it was thicker, though, and here's the best thing: a 20 min velcro roller set under the dryer has lasted up until now and doesn't seem like it's going anywhere! Bear in mind too that I slept completely flat on it for the last two nights, which would normally DESTROY even a very curly set. I also went out in windy weather which is like the kiss of death for my set hair, usually. I have to say, this bodes very well for an overnight wet pincurl set! :D I'm almost thinking that an overnight set might be unecessary!

My boyfriend's very happy at the prospect that I may no longer need to go to bed with my hair pinned up :D

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oooh! Congrats!
I just got my hair permed, too. I read through this thread a lot before deciding- so all your questions and the advice offered helped me, too.
My hair is very fine but I have a LOT of hair. It didn't like to hold a curl at all- it fell out nearly in entirety by the end of a day, even if I did an overnight wet set. A hot curler set would *maybe* hold for a day.
I got a curl set and she alternated smaller and larger rods for a more wavy effect. I waited three full days before washing my hair. I do notice it isn't as healthy, which I was expecting (having not dyed or permed or done anything really to my hair in years), but it's not as fried as I would have expected. I even like it when it's not set. Mine was VERY wavy, but after washing it relaxed a bit into more loose waves, which I like when I don't do all out vintage. I did a hot roll set on monday and my hair is still relatively curly today (wednesday). It's pretty awesome- especially after having my difficult to curl hair prevent me from doing vintage hairstyles more frequently. So yes! I recommend it a lot, after wiffle waffling on getting it done again for at least three years :) My first try at a perm was NOT successful, but this one was.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Oooh! Congrats!
I just got my hair permed, too. I read through this thread a lot before deciding- so all your questions and the advice offered helped me, too.
... I waited three full days before washing my hair.

Thanks, it's great that it turned out well for you too! :) Glad my thread has helped others!

With regards washing, I WISH I could wash mine now! This rich conditioner is making it feel lank and look flatter than (I hope) it actually is! I was told I should wait four days minimum before setting and wait as long as I possibly can without washing, so I'm going to set my hair on Friday and see how it is for washing.

With regards setting, did you find you didn't need to leave the curlers in so long? I normally do overnight sets, but given the staying power of the set I had with my perm, I'm wondering if I could get away with just putting mine in for a few hours on Friday morning?

kristy-jane

New in Town
I've been considering a perm for years too, so thanks to all for this very informative thread! I've decided to go ahead and do it at an old-timey salon that I occasionally visit.
I'd love to see some photos of the perms xox

Lauren

With regards setting, did you find you didn't need to leave the curlers in so long? I normally do overnight sets, but given the staying power of the set I had with my perm, I'm wondering if I could get away with just putting mine in for a few hours on Friday morning?

I don't know! I did a pincurl set and waited until they were completely dry. With hot rollers I didn't have them in any longer than maybe 30 minutes- just until they were cool. I honestly at this point didn't notice too great a difference in wet set vs hot roller set- they both stayed in equally as long :)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I don't know! I did a pincurl set and waited until they were completely dry. With hot rollers I didn't have them in any longer than maybe 30 minutes- just until they were cool. I honestly at this point didn't notice too great a difference in wet set vs hot roller set- they both stayed in equally as long :)

Thanks for replying- I guess that was kind of a stupid question anyway, the only way I'll find out is through trying! Blame my perm-induced excitement for my asking strangers questions about my hair that they can't possibly answer! :D

kristy-jane

I've been considering a perm for years too, so thanks to all for this very informative thread! I've decided to go ahead and do it at an old-timey salon that I occasionally visit.
I'd love to see some photos of the perms.

Glad that my questions - and everyone's very helpful replies - are actively helping other people! :) as you can see the consensus on perms seems to be a largely positive one- hope it goes well for you when you have it done!

There are a few photos on this thread and a couple of other perm threads, personally I'm always reluctant to post any photos of myself for a number of reasons, but we'll see :p I'm not actually sure whether it'll make my sets *look* much different- I'm guessing the difference will be in how the curl takes and stays in, that's what I wanted it for anyway.

Lauren

No, not a stupid question at all! I am still getting used to mine so haven't figured it out yet :) But I do know that one of my hot rollers fell out before they were cool and it still was very curly :)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Having washed and set it twice now, re-set once, slept flat on it, exposed it to windy weather and fussed with it plenty, I can safely say that getting a perm was a very good thing indeed. :D I could elaborate if anyone's really that interested, but based on my own initial experience, I'd definitely recommend a perm to anyone who's serious about setting their hair and wants more resilient, quicker-taking curls.

virgi

New in Town
I pincurl my hair, and it stays for about a day or two, am looking for a perm but am unsure to which stylist to go to. Anyone would recommend anyone in the los angeles area?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Up until the 1960's when Vidal Sassoon introduced the world to precision cutting techniques, most Women had a Shampoo and set once a week and a "Permanent wave" every few months to give the set a long lasting hold, it wasn't until the late 1960's with the success of the musical hair, that people were requesting 'Afro' Perms which were wash and wear, and permed on tiny rollers, yo give a Frizz! I think perming is a lost art, it hasn't been popular for about 20 years. Hairdressers now make all their money on foiling the hair with two or three shades of permanent tint. perming is a long process and not very cost affective for hairdressers of today

vidal-sasoon-mary-quant-styling-hair-590sd04262010.jpg

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/04/27/vidal-sassoon-talks-the-bob-cut-anna-wintour-and-caucasian-af/

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Hopefully I don't get told off for bumping my old thread, but it was so useful to me that I just wanted to add: I had my second perm yesterday, after a few months of having completely natural hair, and I've been reminded of how much I love it! Anyone who has fine/flat/greasy hair and is committed to setting/styling, I would recommend a perm almost without hesitation, based on my experience. So great to be able to put rollers in for a few hours and have curls! Or to go out in wind and rain and not have my sets completely destroyed! To only have to wash and set once or twice a week, and to finally have hair that feels thick! It's almost worth putting up with that foul smell. :D

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
How wonderful! I love perms. Can we see a picture of yours? Do you know what size rod you use?

Sorry I only just saw this! On day 5 of my perm now and I'll probably wash it today or tomorrow, but it looks pretty similar to when my hairdresser set it 4 days ago! Compare that to having to wash/set every other day!

I don't normally post pics of myself, and I would love to help you out, but honestly, just seeing it might not do much... it's not so much how the perm makes your hair look (apart from thicker), it's what it does for your sets. If I post a pic of it unset that might turn you off one for ever, I look like a poodle! Hence the advice throughout this thread: don't expect a perm to give you a 'set' look on its own. You *have* to set it if you want the look. If you just leave it to dry you *will* get that poodle-y, frizzy classic perm look. You can blow dry straight if you really want to, but really, I wouldn#'t reccomend a perm unless you are setting your hair most of the time.

Re: rod size, that will depend on your hair length and the size of curl needed. I have short hair (not quite Audrey's crop, a few inches longer), so I needed small rods. I think they were red but I can check if needs be. When I had my shoulder length hair the rods were bigger. I think they were blue/grey. If in doubt go for the biggest rods possible! Honestly I think it's less about the specifics of the perm and more the fact of having the perm that matters, if you're having one for the same purpose as me (and, I think, other ladies here).

Sorry, such a long reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points