Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wait to order expensive hats for weight loss?

blueoakleyz

New in Town
Right now I'm 215lbs and want to weigh 175 in a dreamworld. I'll probably drop to 195 within the year with some dedication though. When I feel my head I feel my skull pretty close/near to the skin so I don't know if weight loss can effect hat size very much, but for a hat that costs like $300 I want to be sure. Do you think I should wait until I'm down to around 195 before ordering? I like to order a little loose as it is because I know hats tend to shrink.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I've lost about 40 pounds or so (from as much as 260 something down to my current 220....and I have been stuck there for months. I'd dearly like to lose just 20 more pounds, but have just hit a brick wall). Lost a lot of fat in my face, but not where my hat goes. My hat size didn't change. Lost a shirt size and two pants sizes, but not a hat size!

I believe that the average person would have to go through a huge weight change for it to have much of an effect on his hat size. Or so all the evidence I've seen or heard (which is entirely anecdotal, so keep that in mind lest one get the idea there is anything absolutely reliable here) would suggest.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, with a fairly substantial weight loss you can lose some fat around your skull, but not enough todelay hat purchases. Worst case is using a tissue in the sweat band if needed. The difference is slight, but there.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My dad's gone from a 38 waist to a 30 waist in the past year. He dropped a hat size. A little weight loss shouldn't do much ,though.

Dinerman said:
My dad's gone from a 38 waist to a 30 waist in the past year. He dropped a hat size. A little weight loss shouldn't do much ,though.

Wow, good for him. What does that work out to in pounds? I'm guessing 75 or 80 or so.
He must be abstaining from all that lovely diner fare, eh?

Tony in Tarzana said:
Some people do carry some fat in their forehead area, so for them it might make a difference.

I have a friend whose hat size is almost an 8. But then, this guy weighs close to 500 pounds. If he were to lose as much weight as his wife and his kids and his doctor and his friends wish he would, he'd probably drop several hat sizes, I'd imagine. But his is an extreme case.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Losing weight DOES make your head smaller

I've lost 70 lbs in the last 10 months, and my hat size is definitely smaller, nearly a full size. Prior, I always bought hats that were 7 3/8 to 7 1/2. Now I'm between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8.

I'm working to take off another 40 lbs, but I don't think my head will get much smaller. Though, I'll let you know when I get there.

If you've got some extra pounds, feel your head. There are likely parts that are very bony and others that feel like they have some padding. My head no longer has as much padding as it used to. I think you get more head fat when you hit 250 and over, but only you can tell what your head feels like.

I wouldn't expect that your hat size would change too much based on your starting weight and the amount you're planning to lose. Still, you strategy should be guided by your own values. If you are eager to get that great hat, then buy it. You can always add a little foam to snug the fit later. If you are more cautious, then lose 20 lbs and see how it goes. If your head is the same size, then you're probably safe.

hipster

New in Town
Make it a goal

Make it a goal!. When you hit lets say 50% of your total weight lose goal, order the hat.

Bingles

A-List Customer
When I graduated with my Associates degree back in 02, I weighed 305. Withing two years, I dropped to 180 (though sadly, I am back up to 210.. but working on it!!). It did impact my hat size. Also, when I changed my hair style to a brush cut, that too effected my hat wearing. Thankfully, I only owned one fedora at the time. :D

frijoli

One of the Regulars
I can tell you that going from 192 to 155 I lost a size.

7 3/8 to 7 1/4

DO NOT LET YOUR HAT SIZE DICTATE YOUR WEIGHT. I am 44 and almost had a heart attack, and I didn't look fat either.

Just do it, but get a doctors physical and stress test first you may me surprised what you find.

Clay

Scarymemo

New in Town
I can tell you that going from 192 to 155 I lost a size.

7 3/8 to 7 1/4

DO NOT LET YOUR HAT SIZE DICTATE YOUR WEIGHT. I am 44 and almost had a heart attack, and I didn't look fat either.

Just do it, but get a doctors physical and stress test first you may me surprised what you find.

Clay
How do you “almost” get a heart attack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider