Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear my Original GF M422a

Xopher

A-List Customer
Howdy Folks
I have a really really nice Gordon and Furguson M422a. All original and in super good shape minus a few tears in the lining that arnt big but would spread if I wear it. The question is should I do it? I love the thing to death but Id like a daily wearer. Is an gordon and furguson too rare to wear or am I safe to start using it regularly. What is the average price of one, maybe Ill pick up a beat up one but only if its the same pattern. It just fits perfectly. Thankd

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure G&Fs are commonly found M-422as today. Safe to wear unless it has provenance, such as the pilot's name. A-2s are the more finicky items.

Stand By

One Too Many
Some vintage jackets are rare enough to be cherished and remain unworn, sure, and it's why a nice reproduction is the better option - but for a Vietnam-era jacket, I don't feel this applies nearly as much.
If it was mine, and it fitted me like this jacket fits you and I loved it to the same degree, I'd get a couple of colour-matched stitches placed by a professional to curtail any tear propagation in the lining - and I'd wear it and enjoy it (but not in any inclement weather! I'd keep it as a fair weather jacket only!). And maybe one day I'd give it a quality restoration in replacing the lining if it ever needed it in the future. But that's just me.
Would love to see some photos of it if you have any, Xopher.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Look, Enjoy it responsibly IMO... Get a few to go between unless your too OCD of a collector and simply go through a big wear phase like I do with a certain article of clothing for a time and you can't wear anything else until something new takes your fancy and then the Love of your Jacket fades and it gets put back to hang up in your closet between seasons.

There's GREAT repros out there if the guilt is too much for you to wear an original, There you go! Do your Indiana Jones Impression with a repro and enjoy beating it up with no worry.

Keep in mind that Regular wear is what eventually takes it's toll on clothing even though it's a double edge sword like a vintage car..leather is a living organ at one point so wearing it keeps it fresh and supple, storing it will dry it out and shrink it up until it breaks down, like a vintage car needs to be driven and not stored or it will need a total overhaul if it sits too long. I would HIGHLY recommend taking your Jacket for a sunday drive and make a special ritual of it that way it's more enjoyable and you spare some wear.

once in a blue moon spoil yourself lavishly and enjoy, but In my opinion a Daily wearer is a good repro. I scored an AMAZING split-S repro G-1 Type Jacket and it's an amazing cut to spec. and It's AS good as an original and I can ride my bike wearing it and give it hell if I want like they were originally built for.

. I have a dozen Jackets so I can pick and choose and rotate my inventory so I lessen the likely hood of losing it or damaging it from constant wear. If you are planning to drive with it...don't. But I mean hey do what you want it's your jacket...I Just think you can have the best of both worlds with owning a few different ones. I wear my original one for special occasions like the air show or a hot date to a fancy restaurant or something you know?

Same with my Guitars...my 50's silvertones will continue to go up in Value on the collectors market, they make good studio players given they are pretty rugged and already pretty broken in, but they make re-issue ones for taking on the road.

Keep in mind, Original Jackets will only go up in value!!!

Last edited:

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
i understand the notion of preserving the jacket, but these are (mostly) very tough jackets. knits are fairly easily replaced, and the lining can be repaired. i say wear it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have a similar dilemma regarding my 1963 Irvin B. Foster G-1 that fits me to perfection and is in near mint condition but wouldn't be if used as a daily wearer. Also there is a certain sentimental value as my current G-1 was made only 3-4 years prior to my USN G-1 issued to me in 1967 but stolen in 1969. Fortunately I have a number of other leather jackets to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk