Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Off Your Projects!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I'm stunned. I didn't think anybody actually restored trunks. That is a gorgeous restoration. I especially like your method of using tacks glued down to the pop rivets. Something I will keep in mind when working on some things.

Matt

Blackjack

One Too Many
Now thats a clever and really beautiful rebuild with that trunk. It would be a very lucrative business also if you kept turning them out!!
I rebuild pianos for part of my living and have made a few desks and "bars" out of old piano cases so I really appreciate artistic efforts like yours!!! KUDOS!

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
JamesOldBean said:
39696_138995599465711_100000658167306_230363_992603_n.jpg

38867_138995686132369_100000658167306_230368_496022_n.jpg

Simply a stunning restoration job. Well done.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
JamesOldBean said:
I have been collecting old wardrobe trunks for a while (as well as other stuff) and i thought i would have a go at restoring one. Not quite finnished yet but it think it looks good so far for a first attempt. Cost me £26 on Ebay.
After i had taken it apart it got a bit scarey looking at the mess i had made, and wondered if it would all go back together again! But it did, so i think i'll try some more after this one.

Wow that trunk looks lovely! :)

I picked up an old trunk which I think is an ex military ammo case, the fittings are really rusty but I think I'll attack them with brasso and see what happens before I try replacing them all.

Will get some pics later and perhaps someone can figure it out, were the fittings easy to source?

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice router work on those brackets Duke Nukem. They look great with those curtains; and I like the jig you made up to do it. Thought I didn’t need one when I tried to make some chair legs; you can guess how that project turned out.

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
B.J. Hedberg said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice router work on those brackets Duke Nukem. They look great with those curtains; and I like the jig you made up to do it. Thought I didn’t need one when I tried to make some chair legs; you can guess how that project turned out.

Thanks BJ. :) Yea that's a huge bit spinning on a big motor. Two reasons I made the jig. One is so the router would'nt tilt, the other so I would'nt catch anything important about 35 inchs off the ground in the bit. :eusa_doh:
We went to around 20 different stoore and ebay looking for brackets and all we came up with was some chian made ones out of punky chu wood.
We wanted something in the Gothic/Victorian genre. It's my design.
Oh and the rods.........That's just EMT conduit with plugs in them and I can hang on them their so sturdy!!! lol

Question: is that custom shotgun I'm building a project to post here, in "Show Us What You Made--Gentlemen" (assuming this isn't that thread under new name) or "Show Us Your Guns"?

It's not exactly vintage, other than the 1947 Kalashnikov action and 1952 Czech bayonet, but it's something that if it goes off would still be in my Top 10 Lifetime Achievements even if I had another 100 years on top of my projected remaining 50, and I've had a few Loungers ask for pics once it's done (plus we have some fans of the novel that inspired it here too).

JamesOldBean

New in Town
Ada Vice said:
Wow that trunk looks lovely! :)

I picked up an old trunk which I think is an ex military ammo case, the fittings are really rusty but I think I'll attack them with brasso and see what happens before I try replacing them all.

Will get some pics later and perhaps someone can figure it out, were the fittings easy to source?

Where are these pics then?
All the fittings are the original ones on my trunk, just re-plated. I think you can source just about any replacement parts for most trunks.
These two sites should give you an idea.
http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/trunk_index.html
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points