Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
John--yes, a real hat. He was the speaker at a convention for a high school group I was a member of in about 1967 and I recall he was wearing one of his houndstooth checkered cloth jobs.

And isn't #12 that kid from PA, later to lead the first AFL team to win a Super Bowl?

I saw #12 on TV a few months ago. Definitely not that young kid from PA anymore! Shame what age can do to most other guys! ;)

RJR

Old #12 has had the odometer turned back several times.Good that the rest of us don't need that!!!

Tom-Landry.jpg

Speaking of Football.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I dig that coachman hat in the Gary Cooper pic. Always wanted one like that.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

That was from the movie "Saratoga Trunk". Ingrid Berman's role in that movie was my favorite she ever did. I like Gary Cooper's hat in that one. Actually, there's a lot of nice period hats in that movie you would definitely like. A lot of the hat styles are right down your alley. In the movie, Cooper is a Texas gambler who goes to New York and Bergman follows him there. The hat and fashion styles worn by New Yorkers from that era would definitely interest you. The movie seems to have something of a "Gone With The Wind" nuance to it, IMO.

Yee-ouch!! The pinstriped one?? Now, maybe the one with the skullhead on the side...
eqyveve6.jpg

Seriously, the reason you can't get houndstooth ones at the dollar store too is because U of A intercepts them coming off the boat and sells them for $60 apiece at the student center.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I guess my own perceptions of when hat quality went downhill (sharply downhill) is based on when Bryant switched to cloth instead of felt in the mid-60s. That was not a correct perception, as I have found fedoras from a decade later that were still reasonably well made, still great felt. It is rare to find a full 2 1/2 inch brim felt fedora after that time - oh, if only I could find a kitten-finish Resistol with at least a 2 1/2 inch brim (and my size)! Those are rare. Resistol continued making great quality felt, and continued to offer western styles with normal brim widths.
I need to find and post a picture of General Neyland (UT's great coach) wearing a fedora also. I would bet that someone on here may come up with a Charlie McClendon (LSU) pic also.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
"I need to find and post a picture of General Neyland (UT's great coach) wearing a fedora also. I would bet that someone on here may come up with a Charlie McClendon (LSU) pic also"
Google images has a good one of him

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
RIP indeed. Many of us around San Francisco have stories of meeting him and seeing him.

I never met or saw him in person. My first experience with Robin Williams was, when Garp bid part of Bonkers' ear off. A severe attack by a family member's insane German Sheppard, when I was five, never really left me - so that scene really made my day! Revenge is a sweet dish, when served cold! :D

As it turned out in the movies to follow, it was no coincidence - Mr. Willams for sure proved to be a fabulous actor and comedian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21