Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Is that a shot from The Amazing Doctor Clitterhouse?

here's Humphrey Bogart in a prince of Wales DB, and Edward G Robinson in something much stranger (1937):

Bogart_Kid_1937.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I am glad this thread has re-emerged. I had not seen it before and I think it should be one of the most informative threads on the forum - especially for those who are looking to get a suit made and need some inspiration.

Here are a few of interest:

This was posted on another thread about jazz suits - it remains one of my all time favourites, William Hartnell in 'Brighton Rock'
WilliamHartnell-BrightonRock.jpg

Wideboys.jpg

Wideboyssuitback.jpg

Nigel Stock in 'Brighton Rock' - those are proper stripes:
NigelStock-BrightonRock.jpg

Richard Attenborough in Brighton Rock - lovely double breasted waistcoat and good views of the back of his jacket:
Attenborough-BrightonRock.jpg

backofjacket.jpg

This one really gives a good idea of the shape of the shoulder:
BrightonRock-Atenborough.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
that is a serious pagoda shoulder on Pinkie's suit above. i have a friend who has a German suit with the most padded shoulders i've ever seen, i'm hoping he's going to contribute soon with some pictures. he's lurked here for years but has been reluctant to join in.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are some more:

This is a good example of heavy British country suits of the period - it looks like it could even be a moleskin - from 'Brothers in Law' (1957):
Brothersinlaw-dodgy-1.jpg

Here is one of those rare examples of a suit without a breast pocket - Ralph Michael in 'Dead of Night' (1945):
DeadofNight-nobreastpocket-peakedsb.jpg

I post this simply as a good indication of the very short vents that were around in 1954 - Andrew Kier in 'The Maggie':
TheMaggie-AndrewKier-Shortjacketvents.jpg

Of course, not all suits are good. This is Dirk Bogarde in 'The Blue Lamp' (1950). I think this has a deliberately cheap look and the image is to make him appear to be a low-level crook whose fashions are American influenced:
bluelamp-americaninfluence.jpg

Another favourite of mine(both the suit and the film). This is Raymond Huntley in 'The Way Ahead' (1944). The roll of the lapel is gorgeous:
TheWayAhead-RaymondHuntley-PeakedlapelonSBjacket.jpg

TheWayAhead-RaymondHuntley-PeakedlapelonSBjacket2.jpg

David Niven - there's not much you can say about him really, looks great as usual:
Niven-stripeschecks.jpg

Laurence Olivier in 'Rebecca' (1940):
laurenceolivierwellfoldedhanky.jpg

This is Gordon Harker (playing a character called 'Faker Brown') in 'Boys Will Be Boys' (1935). The over long lapel is a look that didn't really catch on!
lapels.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
that is a serious pagoda shoulder on Pinkie's suit above. i have a friend who has a German suit with the most padded shoulders i've ever seen, i'm hoping he's going to contribute soon with some pictures. he's lurked here for years but has been reluctant to join in.

Pagoda shoulder is a term I haven't heard before - is it one in wide usage?

Gene

Practically Family
two breast pockets with flaps are a sporty feature that have been around since the norfolk jacket of victorian times... which is where the urban belt-back originates from.

Well I hadn't seen one before, especially on a jacket that appears smooth like gabardine and wasn't a type of tweed or coarse nappy wool.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I spotted this jacket worn by Dirk Bogarde in 'Once a Jolly Swagman' (1948) about speedway riders in the 1930s:
bogardeswagman4.jpg

It has an unusual seam running diagonally across the shoulder. Here's a rear view:
bogardeswagman6.jpg

It also has a bold seam running down the outside of the sleeve:
bogardeswagman5.jpg

Was this a popular look? I certainly don't recall seeing it before.

Mind you he also sports the more usual period look. Nice wide lapels:
bogardeswagman3.jpg

bogarde-swagman2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto