Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Nice one, Fastuni.
Interesting: I have a very similar jacket with satin lapels - the typical German 30's tuxedo coat I think.
But I never saw this single button on "normal" suits like yours: Is it also "formal wear"?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
There were also normal or even sport suits with one-button configuration.
But you are right, that the cut and overall style of this suit (cuff-less trousers, cut of jacket) is almost identical to a tuxedo (without silk embellishments).

I think it was intended to be a versatile afternoon/evening suit that could also function as a tuxedo if required.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I think it was briefly in fashion around 1935. I have a fresco belt back (not a dinner jacket) from the time with only one button. It's Swedish. I've seen it in Swedish catalogs as well.

To answer the earlier question regarding button holes on both sides of coats, I don't see it as too uncommon in europeean tailoring. I take it as something some tailors do just as something extra, a nice touch. It also looks better unbuttoned. I always prefer holes on both sides.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My two German suits, courtesy of Fastuni from a couple of years back.

Early 30s belted back, solid brown

lAPysHh.jpg

Early 30s peak lapel three-piece, greyish pale pink with brown, grey and blue glencheck, in the short (bum freezer) length that was a fashion of the early 30s

i61fM3q.jpg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
That's what I mean: would maybe wear it for wandering, but never in the city... Because of the fabric/colour in combination with the pocket flaps and the belt it looks too 'military' for my taste ;) Any indication for the age? I would bet it's second half of 1930's...

Metatron

One Too Many
In my opinion it is more versatile than it looks:
Wear the two separately, and you have a versatile pair of trousers to wear with tweed or leather jackets, and a casual coat.
and that belt is removable, isn't it?
Sans belt you have a casual belt-back sports coat.
Worn with a bit of colour, it would soon lose the hunting look.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
When I lived in Germany in the late 1960s, it was not uncommon to see men dressed in very folksy Bavarian (It was Bavaria, after all) outfits, typically grey with green trim. One noticeable style detail was the large pleat in the back of coats, especially overcoats. Men and women still wore hats and most people dressed up a lot more than is common today. A man would wear a suit to work and change to work clothes when he got there. My daughter also lived there for a couple of years not far from Trier and when we visited, I saw no one dressed up.

When I lived there, on a trip to Berlin, I was rather surprised to see the way young men dressed, which didn't include suits of any kind. I guess styles change.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A dark-grey/salt & pepper medium weight German street suit from 1934 - 1938 (type of the ADEFA label).
In the pockets was a 1943 dated ticket for a visit of the Planetarium at the Berlin Zoo and a post-1949 newspaper clipping for the sale of young cows and pigs. I assume it belonged to a farmer or cattle breeder.

Planetsuit%201.jpg

Planetsuit%202.jpg

Planetsuit%204.jpg

Planetsuit%203.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
When I lived in Germany in the late 1960s, it was not uncommon to see men dressed in very folksy Bavarian (It was Bavaria, after all) outfits, typically grey with green trim. One noticeable style detail was the large pleat in the back of coats, especially overcoats. Men and women still wore hats and most people dressed up a lot more than is common today. A man would wear a suit to work and change to work clothes when he got there. My daughter also lived there for a couple of years not far from Trier and when we visited, I saw no one dressed up.

When I lived there, on a trip to Berlin, I was rather surprised to see the way young men dressed, which didn't include suits of any kind. I guess styles change.
I can remember this from my occasional visits to Bavaria at that time. but can you give a date for your experiences near Trier and in Berlin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points