Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroModelSari said:
Lady Day I LOVE it!!! I saw so cute vintage-like fabrics today!!! I can´t wait to start my sewing-classes and than I gonna buy it ALL and start making pretty dresses, too!

:)
Congragumilations on starting a sewing class. Youll be a pro in no time! AND the folks at you local fabric store will know you by name :)

LD

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Lady Day, that dress is divine! You are double inspiring me to get rolling on my dress. And I hear you on the piping! Piping gets me every time!

Oh, where did you get the pattern, if you don't mind me asking?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Dottie said:
Lady Day, that dress is divine! You are double inspiring me to get rolling on my dress. And I hear you on the piping! Piping gets me every time!

Oh, where did you get the pattern, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! :D
Well, its kinda a Frankenstein dress.
The bulk of the pattern (see and sew # B4704 By Butterick) is from a $3 'modern' day dress I got at the fabric store. It had a clean vintage feel, so I used that as a base. The neckline, sleeves, and border around the bottom I added myself.

I never can stick to a pattern.
[angel]

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm so bad at taking pictures of my stuff but scout's honor, I'll do it tomorrow. Right now, I'm working on two dresses, one a early '50s swing dress, the other a reworking of a dress I made earlier this year that I just didn't like. I popped all of the stitches last night and I'm going to start over. Going to make it into more of a '40's style 2 piece dress, I also made a '50s style two piece dress last week which came out well. I'll take those pictures.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Its finished!!! :D

Finisheddress.jpg

LD
OK so I've come to this thread a little bit late, but I just wanted to tell you how wonderful this dress is!
Lauren, your bustle dress is great too. You know that over the past few months I've gone crazy for Edwardian/Titanic era outfits.
Well, now I've done it. You all have inspired me so much that I start sewing lessons next week. I'm just waiting for the patterns that I ordered to come in. I figured, instead of hunting all over the place for something that I kind of want, I might as well learn to sew and get exactly what I want. Of course I know this will take time. I found a little store in Cambridge and the woman who owns it was intrigued by my story of vintage collecting. She actually knows a few places in the area, that I did not know about, that sell vintage patterns. I am going to have private lessons three times a week, I have no patience for slow learning! I know it will take time, years, to get as good as I hope to be. But, Gerry the woman who will give me the lessons, is really happy to help. So, I guess my first Edwardian outfit won't be made 100 percent by me. But, I am so happy that not only did I find someone to give me private lessons during a week day, but also that she is very interested in my vintage clothes, and does know about Edwardian. I'm also glad that she is willing to make a dress that is more complicated. The other places I called would not let me bring in my own patterns, they were group lessons once a week. I figured if I was going to learn to do this, I was gonna go all out.
At some point I will probably ask you gals to recommend a sewing machine. For now, my mom is going to give me one that she bought last year that she hasn't been using at all. She knows something about dress making, and said the machine will do everything I want and need it to. Knowing me, I'll go out and buy one sooner than expected, but at least I'll have something to start with.
I look forward to posting my first creation, that is, if it's worthy of a post!
Daisy

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Congrats, ladies on your sewing classes!

Daisy, my favorite sewing machine brand is Phaff. They have great machines, and generally the sellers that have them will also offer tuneups. My serger, since I bought it new, came with a year of free service. The place I bought it from also offers free lifetime lessons. It's Baker's Sewing Center in Escondido, CA. I'm not sure if that's standard, but it certainly is a huge plus!

I'm still trucking along on my 1870's dress... getting close. Not sure if I want to share pics until it's all done, though.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
black pinstripe pencil skirt, I'm thinking about adding a red godet to this

IMG_2.0.jpg

2 piece 50's style dress. I really like this and was complimented greatly when I wore it last week.

IMG_5.jpg

black and gold circle skirt that really needs to be hemmed, not sure what happened with this, when I place it on the floor, its a complete circle

IMG_3.jpg

Close up of the material

IMG_4.jpg

Still working on the other dresses, will post when I'm done. Sorry about the sizes of the images, resizing them isn't working well tonight, not sure why.

:( me see no photos.

LD

decodoll

Practically Family
I think you may be the only one that can see them, Rosie. Your computer may be pulling the images off your hard drive for you to see, but no one else can.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yup. Either restart CPU, delete the images from the online place and re put them, and/ or try a different photo place.

Me wanna see your creations!!! :eusa_doh:

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Let there be fashions! :D :D :D :D

Oh joy I can see.

The skirt that needs to be hemmed is lovely. As well as the white poka dotted number in the URL.

Wow, youve been a sewing busy bee. I need to keep up!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana