• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Show us what you've made!

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Lady Day, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Simplicity 1609 is my favourite pattern! So spring! So fun to make in all different "themes." I've made 4 already!

2. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I made McMall 8059 today -- circa 1933-1934. The side has the pleats that create the classic "faux bias" look when I walk. Love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

4. Shantel Morris

Shantel Morris New in Town

Wow, those skirts are beautiful! I love the waist detail on the shorter skirt.

5. The longer skirt is spot on! And i love those miss l fire(?) shoes too.

6. fgradowski

fgradowski One of the Regulars

Has anyone purchased vintage fabric for their projects? If so where from? But also just in general, where do you guys purchase your fabric from? I have two vintage patterns for dresses and I am on the hunt for fabric!

7. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I buy mine in stores like Jo-Ann or local fabric shops. I like to feel before I buy. I admit I'm not a fabric connoisseur lol

8. I usually get my fabric from walmart, Joann's, thrift shops, make them out of sheets, the local fabric mart, and yard sales.

Amy Jeanne, I need that retro print fabric. NEED it.

9. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I made something relevant to this message board! lol I make all kinds of things from the 20s to now, but I had been sewing lots of 60s and 70s things which I stopped showing on here because they're aren't the correct era. But I made a dress from 1942:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a shop stamp on the back with the date "July 20, 1942"!! I get excited over such things!

ETA: lol SORRY THE PICTURE IS SO HUGE! But I guess you can see the dress detail a bit better. And you can read all my tattoos...haha!

Bixie Bliss likes this.
  10. MurderOfGoths

MurderOfGoths New in Town

That's beautiful, love the pockets especially

11. BettyMaraschino

BettyMaraschino Familiar Face

Those pockets, I adore them <3

12. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Thank you, ladies! I decided to play around with the fancy stitches on my machine to make the pockets a bit more exciting.

13. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Made something 30s!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: Sorry so huge

Bixie Bliss likes this.
  14. Good to see you sewing again! That late-30s style is one of my personal favorites

15. That's adorable, Amy. I love the fabric and the white trim.

16. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Thank you! I love sewing! I stopped because I gained 30 lbs and no standard vintage patterns that I had fit me. I put the needles away for about a year :( But I shed the weight and I've been sewing like crazy this year! I only post the 30s-40s stuff in here, but I sew the entire century 1910s-2010s!

17. fgradowski

I adore your glasses!

18. fgradowski

So...I will be making something. I'm just super terrified to mess it up! I took beginning sewing classes in middle/high school, but that was always with the help of a teacher! I bought authentic 50's fabric to go with the dress and, although I have plenty, I am terrified of cutting into the fabric. It has kind of put the project on hold. (I would also be using a brand new Janome sewing machine)

Dress to be made.jpg

19. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

First sewing projects should always be done with cheap fabric and with a cheap, modern pattern you don't care about ;)

Bixie Bliss likes this.
  20. fgradowski

I did buy some muslin to make the bodice out of first since that is the complicated part.

Bixie Bliss likes this.