Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have fabric for striped trousers, I just have to make them. I've also been looking for black and white dog-tooth fabric, but have been having a terrible time. My fabric guy has had it twice, but each time not quite enough for a pair of trousers.

Have you tried Spencers in Sowerby bridge? They are in your part of the world. They have got a wool houndstooth (see link http://www.spencers-trousers.com/wools.php ). Also, they told me they have old patterns (they've been going since the 1920s) and should in thoery be able to make any style of trousers that you want. In addition, they have just rceived a consignment of Bedford Cord, including blue, grey and green. It's the greatest cloth you can get.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Two Types, I would rather get the fabric and make them up myself, but thanks for the link. I enjoy making trousers, and have a couple good patterns.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This suit was formerly Ben's. I'm just adding a few more photos of the 'jacket' which wasn't really displayed properly. Lovely SB, 3 button stance, with 4 button working surgeon's cuffs. A very fine 40's 'bird's eye' patterned suit, fully lined.

(iphone photos)

159329c9.jpg

a0d9a5c8.jpg

abf7e45d.jpg

f6981050.jpg

I've been looking through my stuff (depleted, these days, of CC41 gear as I replaced stuff with 1930s examples). I'd be very interested to see what other people's CC41 labels have on them! For example if someone has a X209 suit, and some other designation suit, it would be great to hear a comparison of the cloths. Sadly my lab coat (white drill cotton) has a CC41 label but no designation numbers.

Wool Tweed caps: 'Spec no. 206' or simply '206'
(note the lack of 'X')

Cotton shirt: '3025/1 X'

Jacket: 'X 209A', 'X 209E' and 'X 209F'

I assume that the letter following the number is some designation of colour or style (pinstripe etc). Both the 'X 209A' labels are in identical blue with white and blue double pinstripe cloths. The 'X 209E' was a grey and black crow's foot design, and 'X 209F' is a plain black flannel. Incidentally, the 'X 209E' is a Burton's suit. The Burton's label also bears the CC41 mark, and the number 'X 78E'. So it seems that Burton had their own grading system - maybe they already had a cloth in their system designated '209'? Or maybe their cloth '78' was designated '209' by the relevant Dept. I know Burton made their own cloth. Does anyone know if they made cloth for the general consumption? More confusion.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
De-Mob suits

Since there is a lot of discussion of cc41/demob suits etc on this thread, I thought iI would mention this:
I was recently talking with a vintage dealer who has a number of such suits available. They are currently in storage and she has not yet advertised them for sale or put them into her shop. I have no idea what price the suits would be. So if anyone is interested in seeing what she has available, it might be worth giving her a call (better to phone than email since I know she has been having problems with her email):

Sheila Murdoch
Circa Vintage
37 Ruthven Lane
Glasgow
G12 9BG
0141 334 6660
email: circavintage@xln.co.uk

I hope this is of use.

Good hunting.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
X209F : dark blue chalkstripe flannel suit trousers.
X209F/2 : dark blue chalkstripe SB peaked worsted suit.
209F: dark blue chalkstripe flannel DB 3 piece suit.

while the above are all dark blue chalkstripe each is clearly a different fabric, including the two flannels.

212: mid brown DB overcoat.
209: brown dogtooth-ish tweed jacket. (last number might be wrong could be a 3).
Q311/2: brown shop coat.

S.D.R/1: patterned tank top (not fair isle).

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here's a 'working' shot of myself and my valet, a few years ago. Both individuals display 'British' suits of 'the era.'
A great day out at a 'very British' occasion, spent in the company of good friends.
PB4.jpg

GOODWOOD2009037.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The suit I am wearing in Paddy's photo is a tailor made British suit from 1936. I am afraid the jacket is a little long, otherwise, it fits well. The quality is very good, and it has the most wonderful woven tweed. This suit has a vented jacket, and the way it is cut, I think it is meant to be a little longer, hence the vents.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Miss Sis

One Too Many
This is quite and early British Bespoke suit. It was made for a Brigadier General. My thoughts are mid 1920s. You will note details such as two button closure, two inside pockets, no external breast pocket. The trousers are much narrower than latter pairs, and no pleats in the trousers. The lining is of a very high quality. Also note the cutaway at the bottom of the jacket!

001.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member