Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

Vanessa

One Too Many
Inspired by late night ebay-perusing with the fabulous Miss Neecerie, I thought it was about time we had a thread dedicated to showing off everyone's vintage compacts. And tell us a bit about it when you post as well - because the back-story is half the fun.
Here's my latest & new favorite: a WWII-era Navy 'sweetheart' compact. (I collect sweetheart items & Naval ones in particular.)

cc6comp.jpg

cc6comp3.jpg

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Wow Vanessa, those are beautiful! I saw a few on ebay but money is tight so I've been concentrating on buying main pieces like dresses, shoes, and hats. How do you date something like a compact?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, I wish I had pictures of mine! Alas, they all came from local antique shops, and I have not taken a picture of a single one...

I do collect sweetheart jewelry as well--I have a small collection of some neat pieces. No compacts, though!

By the way, love the sweetheart compact :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I will be taking pictures of mine....since Vanessa has prodded me in public like this...

She jokingly calls me the President of the Compact Collectors Anonymous....and I am soon to be producing membership cards. :rolleyes:

I just can't resist them, little works of art and objects of girly beauty that they are....

I need help...

Denise...who is bidding on ebay as we speak

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
She jokingly calls me the President of the Compact Collectors Anonymous....and I am soon to be producing membership cards. :rolleyes:

Who's joking? ;)

Katy: The easiest to date are, of course, sweetheart type ones and ones that have been produced for specific events - like fairs, corporations, boat launchings, etc. I believe the Prez just picked up a few books on Amazon about dating/identifying compacts, if she'd like to share the authors & titles.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is my everyday compact. It's not very fancy, but it belonged to my grandmother -- so there's a lot of sentimental value.

compact1.jpg

It's an Elgin "American Beauty," and I've also got the little cloth storage pouch and the rather tattered box it came in.

compact2.jpg

I keep it filled with Coty loose powder, and it's always in my purse ready to go into action against the plague of shiny-noseitis.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Speaking of events and places and things, I'm dying for a Queen Mary and a Chicago World's Fair compact.

Vanessa, I love how yours is heart shaped- even the little puff inside. That's too, too cute!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So this is my favorite compact. It is of the Empire State Building, it is engraved in the back "Worlds Tallest". Inside are two compartments for powder. The original powder and puffs are still present. It also has a small mirror inside shaped like the building. The story that I got from the seller is that these were made for the wives of the businessmen who helped to build the building. I'm really not sure though, it could have been done for the wives of the work crews. It is dated 1931, and in beautiful condition.
I can't believe I'm posting this silly picture, but it's the only one I have of the compact.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
lol When I saw this picture posted on the New York thread I thought you were holding up a magnet! It makes so much more sense now! Looks really nifty and great story, even if it isn't true!

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I keep it filled with Coty loose powder, and it's always in my purse ready to go into action against the plague of shiny-noseitis.

I know this is going to be a stupid newbie question but how do you keep the loose powder from spilling out whenever you open it?

Jonni (who, alas, has no compacts to show.....must go to Ebay to take care of that little problem!)

Vanessa

One Too Many
Jonni: Most compacts come with little fitted sifters, so the powder doesn't go everywhere. It's like a screen that pops out so you can refill the powder.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
My compact

This is a great thread because I bought a compact from an antiques fair a year or so ago, and I have no idea how old it actually is! I don't know if anyone is any good at recognising these things, especially from such rubbish phone cam pics!

The brand name on the little snappy power guard is "Darling" and I've tried googling it. Nothing! It has it's original, slightly frayed inner fabric sifter, but no puff. The top pattern seems to be some sort of transfer. It's in reasonable condition. Any ideas? I will take a better picture of it when I can!

Image024.jpg

Very blurry of the inside!

333c29cf.jpg

Outside

If course, chances are, it's not actually vintage at all, merely old!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
oh how I wish my digital camera wasn't broken! I have a Volupte compact with little crowns diagonally across it. The crowns have from 1 to 3 red rhinestones in them. When I got it it was brand new and in the box but now I've put it through a lot of abuse.

My compact also belonged to my grandmother. It is a larger size with black enamel. The back side is textured. It still faintly says Fifth Rex on the ribbon on the puff. It has it's screen, but no matter how little powder I put in it is still comes through around the edges and covers the mirror. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. I carry it in my purse but always hesitate to use it as it is so messy when I open it.:(
compact1.jpg

compact2.jpg

compact3.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
CherryRed I love your compact it is SO very 40's looking, and very, very stylish!
I have a few compact and will post pics of them later, but i tend to find that most of the 40's compact were rather large, but I do have one tiny compact that is brand new and still has the unused powder in it, and the best part is it has the RAF wings on the front, so it is obviously from WWII (it's Kings Crown:D ). I also have another sweetheart compact that is made from cardboard (wartime restrictions:eek: )!! It is navy blue and also has the RAF wings on it and the RAF colours on it! It open in such an unusual way as well!:D

ladyk

Familiar Face
All your compacts are gorgeous!!

I use my Besame compact day to day, but am slowly building a nice little collection of vintage ones, especially the more deco designed ones.

This one is my favourite though. It was my Nana's, and she gave it to me when I was a little girl. It's still in it's box, and has quite a bit of powder inside. I think it dates from when she left the Army in about 45 /46 ish. If anyone knows anymore about it though I would love to know. All I know is what you can see, that it is by Mascot of London. I have so very little knowledge on compacts.... does anyone have the ISBN of the book mentioned? I'd love to learn more y'see...

Waffle over, on to the prettyness.

153103374_59fd173ef0.jpg

153103375_efad90dfe4.jpg

153103376_ebd3bd714a.jpg

I love it's handbag style, the sides are fabric and have tiny sequins.

Wxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points