Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
If I was going to by a CZ it would either be in .505 Gibbs or 9.3x62. Can't really come up with a use for the Grendel being as I have a 6.5x55 but--enjoy!

I plan on it, but it may be a while as according to the local gun shop, they are not yet at distributors, although listed. I have several Swedish M 96 Mausers, so am quite familiar with the 6.5x55. I also have a couple of CZ rifles, one a 527 in 22 Hornet, the other a bigger 550 Safari American in 375 H&H. When I got the 375 I had the choice of it, a 416 Rigby or a 458 Lott. The 375 had pretty tiger stripe walnut, vs very plain on the other two. I had thought I might like a Rigby, until I say the price of brass and bullets, so all that sold me on the 375 which is more of a fun shooter than a hunting gun nowdays. Considering it's physical size and weight , recoil is very mild.

A few years back I got very interested in the 6.5 Grendel and build a few AR types and have enjoyed them, even getting a quantity of IMI 7.62x39 brass, necked down and fire form. Actually the freshly necked down rounds load and function my AR's withouth any special handling, just load a magazine and shoot. Velocity may not be all it would be in a fully fire formed case but is enough for fun shooting at least to 250 yards, the max distance at our range. Ever since I started I thought I would like a nice little bolt action and the little CZ micro Mauser is it.

No experience with the 9.3x62, but have a nice little Swedish 46 (I think) in 9.3x57

Oldsarge

One Too Many
No experience with the 9.3x62, but have a nice little Swedish 46 (I think) in 9.3x57
Oh, man, if you ever want to let go of that let me know. I had one once that I had rechambered for the 62mm case. That little bugger was a pocket rocket and with the swept back rounded pistol grip? It handled like a fine double gun. However, at the time I had a .375 and a .450 Rigby and found it hard to justify three DGRs so I sold it to an old elementary school buddy who wanted a elk/moose rifle because he'd just moved to Washington state. Dan later succumbed to a combination of Hep C and prostate cancer, sadly. I have no idea what happened to that rifle. I sure would like it back . . .

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man, if you ever want to let go of that let me know. I had one once that I had rechambered for the 62mm case. That little bugger was a pocket rocket and with the swept back rounded pistol grip? It handled like a fine double gun. However, at the time I had a .375 and a .450 Rigby and found it hard to justify three DGRs so I sold it to an old elementary school buddy who wanted a elk/moose rifle because he'd just moved to Washington state. Dan later succumbed to a combination of Hep C and prostate cancer, sadly. I have no idea what happened to that rifle. I sure would like it back . . .
I fell into a 338-06 some time back and I really like it. But if I was putting together a new elk rifle for west side hunting in Oregon the 9.3x62 looks to be tops.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I'm so old school that I have the .338/06's grandpappy, a .318 Westley Richards--by W.W. Greener no less! I can't imagine that any game animal could tell the difference getting shot with either that, the .333 OKH, the .338/06 or the Mauser but by golly don't they leave some impressive exit holes? A 200-250 gr. bullet @ around 2500 ft. sec. hardly slows down, its sectional density is so great. Even fully expanded! My kind of cartridge.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
My opinion is this. American bullet companies have put a lot of effort into developing bullets that will hold together at the really silly velocities we've been led to believe are necessary and they take justifiable pride in their work. Getting a bullet to hold together and turn into a perfect mushroom is hard and when you can to it you want people to know it. Besides, there's this ridiculous theory that somehow 'energy' kills the animal. It does not. Damage does. I go with the African Professional Hunter take on things. What I want is a bullet that will expand, do horrific damage inside and then exit. Exit wounds, from an empirical standpoint not a theoretical one, cause more physiological shock and leave better blood tracks than entry wounds. I don't give a rat's patootie whether I get a perfect mushroom or not and I sure as Hell don't care whether it ends up 'under the skin' on the other side of the critter. I want that animal DOWN. That's why I prefer a long-for-caliber bullet at moderate velocity. They work. End of rant.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My opinion is this. American bullet companies have put a lot of effort into developing bullets that will hold together at the really silly velocities we've been led to believe are necessary and they take justifiable pride in their work. Getting a bullet to hold together and turn into a perfect mushroom is hard and when you can to it you want people to know it. Besides, there's this ridiculous theory that somehow 'energy' kills the animal. It does not. Damage does. I go with the African Professional Hunter take on things. What I want is a bullet that will expand, do horrific damage inside and then exit. Exit wounds, from an empirical standpoint not a theoretical one, cause more physiological shock and leave better blood tracks than entry wounds. I don't give a rat's patootie whether I get a perfect mushroom or not and I sure as Hell don't care whether it ends up 'under the skin' on the other side of the critter. I want that animal DOWN. That's why I prefer a long-for-caliber bullet at moderate velocity. They work. End of rant.
I agree! I have personally witnessed twice, one a 30-06 the other a 30-30, going clean through the deer. In both cases, the guys were bad shots, so we had to fallow a non existent blood trail! If they had been using my original slow velocity Winchester 86 in 45-70, we would have had a trail as wide as an LA freeway. End of my rant also!

Reactions: RJR

Michaelshane

One Too Many
AR...

261cml2.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family

I'm like you, it handles like a nice double. Is the long pistol grip what they call a Prince of Wales grip, but with the rounded end, looks a little strange to our American eyes. I had initially thought of having it rechambered for the 9.3x62, as the barrel is simply stamped 9.3mm no case length. With the wood I got, it's probably one of the prettiest rifles I have . I got lucky when I found it at Alan's Armory on line a few years back, and is one I will be keeping. Even in the slow punkin chunking caliber, I think that 270 gr bullet would do a good job at about 2300-2400 fps on just about anything on this continent. I mostly play with my guns nowadays, not much more hunting as it's a rather expensive pursuit down here in Texas. My thinking on the rechamber was that the x62 might be a bit much for that nice little small ring Swedish 96 action, which this particular sporter is built on.

I'm also with you on those long for caliber bullets, like the 160 gr 6.5 out of a Swedish Mauser at moderate velocity gives excellent results.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Carried one for 29 years. You can have 'em.

I never carried one, as in my first job in the USAF , my weapon was a fighter interceptor, actually controlling the intercept from a ground or airborn (AWACS) radar. I did qualify with the M16 in basic, acutally ending up with more hits on my target than I fired. Some dimwith did not know how to find his target or how to shoot. I grew up shooting, and did a couple of years of smallbore match in ROTC in college. After basic, qualified with 38 revolver, S&W combat masterpiece, strange thing was the year before I had bought a K 38 as a graduation present for myself so was very familiar with that platform. In ten years active duty, never touched a firearm other than my own. Later when I went back in active reserves we had to qualify with the Beretta M92, which I did not care for, preferring a 1911 or Browning Hi Power. As medical personnel the Air Force did not seem to think we needed to be proficient in small arms, the enlisted troops did not get to fire live ammo, having to use some type of lazer system. I always told some of them if push came to shove, I would trade my M92 for a M 16 any day.

As far as the AR platform, I have had a bit of fun with them, having one Colt outfitted with a very heavy varmit weight barrel, one with a stock heavy barrel. I used it one day and was making a guy with a Browning bolt action sick because my groups were less than half what he was shooting, simply a matter of knowing the gun and how to shoot. About 6-7 years ago I got interested in the 6.5 Grendel cartridge and built 3, one a big bench gun with standard gas impingment action, one a gas piston mid weight carbine and the last a gas piston bench gun also. I like the gas pistons which have been totally reliable, and gives a much cleaner gun internally after shooting. I understand CZ is supposed to be bringing out the 6.5 Grendle in their little 527 mini Mauser, and I cannot wait to get my hands on one of those. In that caliber it will make a very nice soft recoiling rifle for my old shoulder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana