Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I have great affection for a slung double gun. Carry it open and upside down on your left side with two shells in your right hand and watch the dog work. She goes on point and you're ready and up is a split second. Sadly, it lessons the value of an English gun. However, if I ever score on a Frenchie . . .

Reactions: RJR

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have great affection for a slung double gun. Carry it open and upside down on your left side with two shells in your right hand and watch the dog work. She goes on point and you're ready and up is a split second. Sadly, it lessons the value of an English gun. However, if I ever score on a Frenchie . . .

Some of the Engish are great. Belgium and French can be also, I especially like my sliding breech French guns. Swedish are also nice, I have an old Husqvarna Lefaucheux sidelock, not the greatest where the metal forearm is a lever which turns to the side to open the action, then another sidelock , a model 100 I think, that more closely resembles and feels like one of the better English guns, at a far more reasonable price. That last one I found on line at Simpsons.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
This one isn't exactly vintage, but like many things on this forum, "vintage inspired". Lew Horton S&W Performance center model 27-8. This was from a special run that LH did around 2007 as a Registered Magnum Commemorative. 5" nickle plated, 8 shot, 4 screw, square butt. 1 of 107 built with this configuration. They also made similar numbers with 3.5" barrels and in blued finish.

RJR

I'm always on the lookout for a sliding breech. I think it's just the coolest system. Whether or not it actually, as mythologized, reduces felt recoil I decline to judge but it certainly is strong.
I've owned two Darne SXS over the years.A 28ga was about as quick a quick a quail gun as I ever handled.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I'm always on the lookout for a sliding breech. I think it's just the coolest system. Whether or not it actually, as mythologized, reduces felt recoil I decline to judge but it certainly is strong.

I have two, a Darne and a Charlin. The Darne has a bolt that rises inside the sliding breech and enters a hole in an extension from the barrels, thus locking it very securely. The Charlin lacks this, the lockup being an over center position of the toggle. My Darne is a 28 ga, very light and hand to carry and no appreciable recoil, The Charlin is a 16 ga, and has a hollowed out buttstock. It is very light and really gives the shoulder a workout. A few extra ounces in it would help a lot.

To make Oldsarge happy it comes with some nice sculpted factory sling swivels, so sports a nice little buckle sling. Back in the very early 1970's when I was posted over to Turkey, wild boar hunting in the mountains around Izmir was our big sport so I quickly acquired a Rem 1100 12 ga, and after my first trip out decided a sling was in order, so ordered one from I think Uncle Mikes, drilled and installed on in the mag cap, the other back in the buttstock and never looked back.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Yup. It just doesn't make sense to me to put a sling on a soft case for carrying a shotgun. I suppose if all you do is driven bird shooting it's okay but as a walkup hunter I'd prefer the sling on the gun.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
These followed me home this morning. One's a 357 and the other a 44 magnum.
MyHenrys2-14March2017.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Are they rotated in the final posting or just when you put them up in the 'post reply' box? I had it happen that the picture was rotated when I put it up up but then was in the correct orientation when it hit the board. Weird.

Killick

One of the Regulars
Are they rotated in the final posting or just when you put them up in the 'post reply' box? I had it happen that the picture was rotated when I put it up up but then was in the correct orientation when it hit the board. Weird.

It shows up in the post. Odd thing is I posted a picture in the photo thread and it was fine. Out of 5 tries that is the only one not sideways. Weird yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112