Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

EngProf

Practically Family
It's an airsoft pistol and yes, it was finished with a Hammermil. I just refinished it for my WWII reenactment suit.
As a WWII reenactor myself, I'm curious why you painted it silver instead of flat black, more closely simulating an authentic Parkerized finish.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
As a WWII reenactor myself, I'm curious why you painted it silver instead of flat black, more closely simulating an authentic Parkerized finish.
It's more of a dark hammer steel. I based the color on a pair of my grandfather's Korea dog tags going for that same kind of blued steel look, assuming the US Army would have used a similar steel.

EngProf

Practically Family
It's more of a dark hammer steel. I based the color on a pair of my grandfather's Korea dog tags going for that same kind of blued steel look, assuming the US Army would have used a similar steel.
If you don't mind some technical advice, this issue involves firearms, reenacting, and engineering design.

The metal used for dog tags would not be suitable at all for any sort of firearms use. Also, the color of the base metal itself would not be relevant since the Army applied an external finish at or near the final stage of firearms production which was almost black or *very* dark gray.
This finish was a phosphate coating (not blued) that was originally referred to as "Parkerizing", even though that was a trademarked name. Later references use the more generic "phosphate coating" or similar term which avoided the trademark infringement.
Steel parts (including guns) were cleaned and degreased and then dipped in a chemical bath at elevated temperature to coat the metal in a dull dark finish. The phosphate coating tended to reduce rusting and was a non-reflective finish for reducing visibility.
The exact shade depended on the age/strength of the chemicals, exact treatment temperature, and storage conditions after treatment.
Authenticity is important for reenacting so a re-painting would be a good idea.

freakazoid

Familiar Face
Been quite some time since I posted. This here is a SITES Spectre HC pistol. Got it for a big reason because it's in the N64 game Goldeneye, the other reason due to it's rarity and that it is just a sweet looking and unique firearm. Known as the Phantom in game. Also a big reason why I got my VZ-61 Skorpion, just need to get a tax stamp for it so I can attach my stock. The mag in there is the 50 round coffin mag, I also have the 30 round mag. It currently has some tire tubing around it for grip, put on by the previous owner and I just haven't taken it off yet. Rubber thing on the grip was also added but I'll keep that on because it actually feels nice. It is surprisingly heavy, almost all in the back, but it feels balanced. Haven't shot it yet but I hear because of the weight it is pleasant to shoot. I also won't be able to shoot it for probably three years when I get back from Japan.
cry.gif
One thing I'll be on the lookout for is the folding stock. The original full-auto versions had a folding stock that folded flat on top of it and there was also a foregrip attachment, obviously none of these would go on without proper documentation.
police.gif
From what I hear the stock can cost as much as the gun itself, paid about $1500 for it, no box or anything, with the mags. Speaking of mags, those are pretty spendy. I know the 30 rounders can go for around $250, not sure about the 50s. I really need to get a second charging handle, I need to ask my Spectre parts guy if he's got any in stock. For some reason they made those out of plastic. They are known to break, and I can tell why. It feels really cheap. Can't understand why they would do that when everything else seems pretty well built.
Fun facts: They were only imported by two companies, FIE and American Arms, Inc. Mine is the American Arms. They are identical except the FIE chamber end OD is slightly larger and won't fit into AA rear bbl support. Also, some very early FIE guns have thicker wall magwell steel and will only accept a very rare thin wall magazine. The finish on the FIE pistol has a painted black lacquer type finish and the AA Spectres finish is a dark gray park. FIE went out of business in 1990, due to the first "Assault Weapons" ban and American Arms bought the rights to import the Sperctre. They imported all the calibers 9mm, .40S&W and the .45ACP. being the rarest. There was only 1,000 9mm, 300 .40S&W, and 100 .45ACPs imported. The AA .40S&W can have feeding issues with the blunt nose ammo apparently. The magazines are modified 9mm mags, the feed lips, and hold 22rds instead of 30rds. They didn't convert 50rd mags because they couldn't get them to feed. You can convert a 9mm Spectre to .40S&W or vise vers by changing the barrel, bolt and magazine. You can't convert a .45ACP because it has a spot welded in adapter for the 2 column mag. The .45 is dedicated to it's caliber. I have a mag for the .45 also, because why not? Due to the rarity I figure I might as well jump at the chance to get a mag for one.
smiley.gif
Also, the mags just fall right out when the mag release is pressed. That second lever to the rear is a decocker, the trigger can act as a double action if used.
There is a good review and breakdown of it on the Military Arms Channel,

0313161906_zps0ytiqjtt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points