• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Show us your Militaria

Discussion in 'WWII' started by V.C. Brunswick, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jayessgee

Jayessgee Familiar Face

That boullian CBI patch is a theater made patch- that is, one made by local craftsmen. My Dad was in the CBI and had one such. The issue patch was a typical cloth embroidered patch. You can see his in this collage of his items I put together. The MP arm band was something they weren't supposed to keep but, hey, you know how it goes. (;^})

CBI MP collage 2.jpg

TPD166 likes this.
  2. [​IMG]
    My homemade reproduction of nose art, made with an image of my girl's pinup photo shoot (taken, when we lived in Germany).

[​IMG]
    Just some stuff, lying around my office. ;-)

TPD166, Giftmacher and V.C. Brunswick like this.
  3. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Love the old Ballantine books! I still have the few I bought back then. Hard to believe the reason I did not buy more was, I did not have a spare $1.00!

4. Not mine yet, but I hope it will be soon. Those who are interested in LW know, what treasure these things is. F├╝hrertochterkompass for only $630!
    [​IMG]

5. Dornier Do17 U
    [​IMG]

6. I found this nice color WWII photo in a book , it shows a US aircrew door gunner carrying belts of machine gun ammo getting ready to go out on a mission.

WW2 aircrew.jpg

7. I believe the photo is of Eighth Air Force MOH recipient SSgt Maynard "Snuffy" Smith.

8. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

It does look like old Maynard! Incidentally, Smith won the MOH on his first mission. When it was time to award him the medal, he was no where to be found, finally, someone looked were he was usually stationed when not flying, old Snuffy was out back on KP duty pealing potatoes! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynard_Harrison_Smith [​IMG]

9. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

Very nice collection.

10. here's an interesting WW2 photo of a American boy showing his patriotism.

superman.jpg

allan4570, HPA Rep and Stearmen like this.
  11. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

That is a superb photo!

12. DNO

DNO One Too Many

i just posted this over in the thrift store finds thread but I figured I'd post it here too.

Made an exciting find today in a local thrift store. It was a signed first edition of Private Army by Vladimir Peniakoff, better known as 'Popski'. It is his memoir of service in the 1st Demolition Squadron, usually referred to as Popski's Private Army. Even more exciting, it was given by Peniakoff to George A Lee. Lee was a Canadian lieutenant who had commanded R Patrol of the PPA from about August 1944 to May 1945.

It got better when I got the book home. Looking through it I found that Lee must have attended Peniakoff's 1951 funeral and had 'tipped in' the funeral's program in the front of the book. In addition, there were a number of newspaper clippings about Peniakoff's death and, amazingly, an original photo of a group of PPA troopers. I've managed to identify one of them as Lance Corporal Ron Cokes, Popski's gunner. Presumably Lt. Lee is in the image as well but none of the troopers are identified. An interesting challenge for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Siebel Si 204D. Only gauges are original.
    [​IMG]

Stearmen likes this.
  14. German aircraft engine valve found today
    [​IMG]

Stearmen likes this.
  15. Officers riding boots, probably Czech pre-war army. Yesterdays attic find.
    [​IMG]

16. Luftwaffe long wave receiver from FuG 10 set arrived recently.
    19401312_1385102231524838_1170751875_o.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Stearmen likes this.
  17. Distant People

Distant People New in Town

USAAF 8th Air Force collection...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giftmacher likes this.
  18. Argentine Army Officer Visor Cap
    Lieutenant-Colonel, Engineers