Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
And here's another Donegal herringbone tweed overcoat, custom-made by Eddie Schmidt, "Hollywood's tailor", in 1937. Donegal herringbones must have been popular back then.

Spoon201.jpg
----
Spoon203.jpg

Morephotos002.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I am thinking very few people have overcoats to show off. :)

Here is overcoat. Probably not too vintage but the wool is dense and the jacket is very warm.

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02406.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My favourite and - for the moment - only coat is this RN Duffelcoat.
The story behind it is, that a roll of the original cloth was found in UK in 1980.To celeberate the 40 years anniversary of the beginning of WWII a limited number of original Royal navy Duffelcoats were produced.
I am just the lucky owner of one of theese 750 coats.
Its warm, stylish (I think) and heavy.

L1010814.jpg

L1010815.jpg

L1010818.jpg

L1010819.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Spitfire, that's great! I have a duffel (I'll try to post it later), but it's nowhere near as cool as that one. That's a fantastic story to go with it. :eusa_clap

Speedster

Practically Family
Yes, Spitfire, that is a fantastic coat. :eusa_clap

Back then i had one of these limited number coats very high on my wish list, but didn't have the money and when i did they were all gone.

But anyway had i bought one back then i would not be able to fit it today.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Duffel-

I've had several original ones, collected when I lived in London but I actually found that they were just too heavy to wear.
There was a surplus shop in East London with a rack of NOS, RN Duffles and "camo" leather jerkins. Almost exotica.
I collected a few of the coats due to SAS/LRDG interest and not being able to help myself. Spitfire- from your photos, yours looks like a finer, thinner, more high-quality wool cloth than the ones I've had, which were pretty coarse, stiff and heavy- actually quite hairy.
Don't know if that thing about original cloth is for real...
The nicest price I paid was £25.
I also got a NOS Sidcot suit for £25.

B
T

Feraud

Bartender
This thread reminds me how Canal Jeans in the village used to have racks of old overcoats. It seemed like hundreds of heavy wool garments filling the second floor.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
I've had several original ones, collected when I lived in London but I actually found that they were just too heavy to wear.
There was a surplus shop in East London with a rack of NOS, RN Duffles and "camo" leather jerkins. Almost exotica.
I collected a few of the coats due to SAS/LRDG interest and not being able to help myself. Spitfire- from your photos, yours looks like a finer, thinner, more high-quality wool cloth than the ones I've had, which were pretty coarse, stiff and heavy- actually quite hairy.
Don't know if that thing about original cloth is for real...
The nicest price I paid was £25.
I also got a NOS Sidcot suit for £25.

B
T

Off course I can not guaratie wethere the story of the re-found roll of cloth is true or just advertising. I went for it anyway - because I like a good story!
But I can tell you that the duffel is both think, stiff, heavy and coarse.
And not at all high quality, soft wool.
So there just might be some thruth in it...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I would think there would be plenty amongst the lounge members. I mean, overcoats are the easiest vintage thing to find in thrift stores and the chepest thing to buy in a vintage shop.

I suppose the californa contingency doesn't have much need for them, souther ncalifas anyway, but I will bet there are plenty out ther.

I guess the overcoat worthy of sharing has to be a little better than run or the mill though, and that is harder to find.

i will post a few of my old favorites soon.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Great coats everybody! A have a few good ones to show off.

Got this at an antique fair for $40. Has the 1936 union label.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
My favorite!

Got this one on ebay a year ago for like $20. The unfortunate lister did not know it was from the 30's. Listed it very poorly.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Betty said:
Me too. At least that many, especially if you include capes. :D

VB

Boy I must really like you guys (and ladies). I pulled my overcoats out today so I can take pics. I have more than four (cough, cough:rolleyes: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko