Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Pens

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey folks,

It occurred to me and KirkH that no thread exists on the Fedora Lounge for the display of vintage and antique writing instruments and associated paraphernalia. A search produced plenty of threads about fountain pens and writing, but no thread along the lines of the "Show us your...Watches, Cars, Hats, Guns" etc threads. So I thought I'd create one.

Starting off with some of my own toys:

1900Waterman.jpg

1904 Waterman 'Secretary' eyedropper with box & papers.

parker2.jpg

1946 Parker Duofold. Black was only produced in one year. Rareish pen as a result.

PenShow26.jpg

My three acquisitions from the 2010 Melb. Pen Show. Top: 1910s Conklin crescent-filler. Middle: 1904 Waterman (you've already met it). Bottom: 1900s (?) no-name sterling silver button-filler.

blotternew.jpg

Vintage desk-blotter (with original blotting-paper). This is where I do all my handwriting.

DeskBlotter1.jpg

Same desk-blotter closed up. Cost me $20 at the thrift-shop.

IMG_0525-1.jpg

My prrreeeeeccccious...

...and a scan of the original 1860s advertisement:

IMG_0534.jpg

T&G logo:

IMG_0544-1.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Shangas, those are very nice. Here are some of mine.
GrandpasWaterman.jpg
[/IMG]
This was my Grandfathers Waterman fountain pen.

51fountainpen.jpg
[/IMG]
A Parker 51 Fountain pen

51pencil.jpg
[/IMG]
This was my grandfathers too. A Parker 51 pencil.

Touchesand45.jpg
[/IMG]
Two Parker Touches and a 45 from the 1960's

PapermateCapri.jpg
[/IMG]
A Paermate Capri Ballpoint from the 1950's

Kirk

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Here's my Parker 61 box set, the only fountain pen I have. I found it unused in an old box of stuff, it works great. I think it dates to somewhere around the mid to late 1950s.

It came with a mechanical pencil that I rarely use.

Here's the documents that came with it, instructions, guarantee papers, and price tag for $20.00.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Here's some information from RichardsPens.com on the Parker 61, it was introduced in 1956 and produced until 1982 and featured a mess free capillary system for filling. I don't know when this set was produced, but I'm guessing that it was sometime between 1956 and the early 1970s, most likely before or around 1962 based on the styling.

The 61 is also known to experience some performance issues with the ink system and barrel construction. Mine seems to functions fine, though it occasionally needs some scratching on paper to get it going if it's been sitting unused for a while.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
From what I recall, the method of the Parker 61's construction made it almost impossible to clean.

Not to say that you couldn't clean it. It just took a really, really, really, really long time. It took ages to flush the ink out due to how it was fed to the nib.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
The instructions say how to clean it, but I've never really taken a look, I just got the pen fairly recently and haven't needed to clean it.

It's funny, when I found this pen, I was looking to buy a fountain pen, and then this one just happened to fall into my possesion, unused and free.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I suppose at the time, $20 for a pen-pencil set was pretty high-end. In the 1940s, a Parker 51 cost $12.50 brand-new, I believe.
That would roughly be $163 dollars today.
No I'm not brilliant, I looked it up on a site called "inflation calculator."
The site has "west egg" in it.
Wonderful tool when watching tv shows or movies and trying to figure out what the amount is worth today. (ie the crook stole $100 dollars, well that isn't much these days, until you find out it's $1300 today!). Puts things in perspective.

ErWeSa

Familiar Face
Fountain pens

Here are a couple of mine, nothing special I'm afraid but for the Orlow Express which has to be screwed out and the Parker. The Mont Blanc cap is not original to the pen, was on it when I bought it.

IMG_0941_zpsitxbwv6g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0942_zpspxwta6sw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch