Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
I found these 1950s/early 60s Pedwin mesh spectators at a thrift store and thought they'd be a good restoration project. I think they turned out pretty well.
Before:

After:

Size 9.5D, so sadly I can't keep them.

abhinav

New in Town
Hi.. This is a universal truth that no one gets bored with shoes and we never mind more varieties. Shoes collection can be formal wear, casual wear or semi-formal. You can visit http://www.altolia.com/ for more collection.
Have a Good Day!

haistelija

New in Town
First post and a wall of text, sorry!

A couple of months ago I bought these George Webb Veldtschoens and there isn't too much info about the shoe or the maker online.
Many of you seem to be quite familiar with vintage shoes and I was wondering if someone could help me age these shoes. They're quite similar to these which were marketed as being from the 1940's. The markings on the side of the shoe are in a different order but the "667" style is the same and that "6-89" marking is the same. The "welted Veldtschoën by George Webb" stamp is identical. IIRC the production ended in the early 80's.

The shoes definitely feel as well made and sturdy as the shoes of decades past described by some of you. They feel a lot more rugged than my Red Wings or other new "heritage work boots" I've handled. Unlike those linked shoes above these have been used to some extent based on that these have been re-heeled and top soles have been added. The uppers are in much better shape than my 2 year old Red Wings for example.

Were any George Webbs made with "zug" / "heather gorse" leather? The pebbled grainy leather of these is a lot thicker and hardier than the country calf on my Cheaney Pennines or the leather on my vintage Frank Wright silver stud veldtschoens. After i took the pictures i have been oiling the shoes quite heavily and the leather has gotten more supple and darker.

Any info appreciated!

emlZb25m.jpg
IgA0yROm.jpg
Ezdlo1cm.jpg

album with bigger pictures

Harrifer

New in Town

Brilliant shoes. I'm impressed by the leather heel, how is it wearing so far? They usually wear down at rate of knots compared to rubber or horsehoes.

The only time I came close to buying some Veldstchoen I was put off because they were hobnailed.

haistelija

New in Town
Thanks! In my wall of text I mentioned them being re-heeled but I was thinking of another pair. On These the original leather heel was in surprisingly good shape considering the age. Nevertheless I got these re-heeled with rubber as I mean to wear them through the wetter part of the year.

haistelija

New in Town
While we're on the subject of veldtschoen here's my two other pairs.
Cheaney Pennines and Vintage Frank Wrights.
iyGah11m.jpg
1rR5EAim.jpg

For me the veldtschoen construction is that something that makes shoes/boots special. There's some really gorgeous pairs posted in this thread.

Harrifer

New in Town

For me the veldtschoen construction is that something that makes shoes/boots special. There's some really gorgeous pairs posted in this thread.

Veldts are awesome, I have this really strong feeling that they're going to come back into mainstream fashion one of these days. They were such an iconic shoe, but they're almost forgotten.

I wonder if traditional veldtschoen are so indestructible that shoemakers avoid selling them.

They're the perfect shoe for bad weather, or for travelling. Imagine spending a month going around South East Europe, walking everywhere, hitting up some nice bars and clubs in the evening, but not wanting to pack two pairs of shoes.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
iyGah11m.jpg
1rR5EAim.jpg

You sure have some super well made shoes! In answer to the George Webb question, I am sure anything made by George Webb is built like a tank! Not sure about the use of "zug" leather however could it be that leather is oxhide?

The pictures you show from eBay seller, is a resident here of the Lounge, I am sure when he logs in and takes a peek he will be able to add some information about your questions about the "zug" leather. To date, although in our home we have had a vast amount of vintage come and go, we are not owners of anything (to my knowledge) of zug leather.

I understand you have use of your dress boot/shoes for overall wear including in not so nice weather. You stated you using an oil on them? What brand and what results are you having from the use of the oil?

haistelija

New in Town
I understand you have use of your dress boot/shoes for overall wear including in not so nice weather. You stated you using an oil on them? What brand and what results are you having from the use of the oil?
Those Cheaneys and Webbs are going to see some rain, wet snow and occasional slush. Though they are on the dressier side of scale they'll both see mostly casual everyday use with jeans/chinos. I think the leather on both is quite weather resistant without any spesific products, just some Saphir Renovateur here and there. I hope I don't have to wade in them though haha.
When I got the Webbs the leather was very stiff and not only in good sturdy way but it also felt dry. I was a bit that wearing them like that might do some damage. As I bought them online I couldn't bother asking the previous owner when was the last time the shoes had been conditioned. Before trying them on I treated the shoes with Reno a couple of times but it felt a bit lightweight and didn't have any effect that I could see or feel. After I was sure they fit and decided that they will be strictly for casual use I brought out the Red Wing Boot oil. Previous use has taught me that it both softens and darkens leather quite a bit. This didn't bother me as I like the darker look and the shoes already had some dark blotches that I couldn't remove with ease. I applied the oil generously 3-4 times and the shoes drank it eagerly. The leather is now darker and more supple as I wanted. They still feel like tanks they are.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Those Cheaneys and Webbs are going to see some rain, wet snow and occasional slush. Though they are on the dressier side of scale they'll both see mostly casual everyday use with jeans/chinos. I think the leather on both is quite weather resistant without any spesific products, just some Saphir Renovateur here and there. I hope I don't have to wade in them though haha.
When I got the Webbs the leather was very stiff and not only in good sturdy way but it also felt dry. I was a bit that wearing them like that might do some damage. As I bought them online I couldn't bother asking the previous owner when was the last time the shoes had been conditioned. Before trying them on I treated the shoes with Reno a couple of times but it felt a bit lightweight and didn't have any effect that I could see or feel. After I was sure they fit and decided that they will be strictly for casual use I brought out the Red Wing Boot oil. Previous use has taught me that it both softens and darkens leather quite a bit. This didn't bother me as I like the darker look and the shoes already had some dark blotches that I couldn't remove with ease. I applied the oil generously 3-4 times and the shoes drank it eagerly. The leather is now darker and more supple as I wanted. They still feel like tanks they are.

The RENO is some very good product. I would use it however we have found that Cadillac Boot and Shoe Care conditioner seems to work the best for a few reasons. The best reason is, it will actually soak into the leather without leaving any wax behind. It is made of only natural oils. I've been able to "rescue" so many shoes that were so dry, the leather felt like a Tortilla Chip! It does take some time when shoes are that dry to fully restore the leather to be safely wearable, but it has most likely worth the efforts. A real dry pair of shoes or boots can drink an easy 8 ounces of the Caddy conditioner.

I've not used the Red Wing Oil. I know it is not a bad product as our Cobbler promotes the use of it, and he is a Red Wings Approved seller and Service Provider for their brand boots and shoes. He is a super shoe expert as he was at a younger age, a workman in the Shaw Shoe Company that was located in Coldwater, Michigan, and his Father was one of a few Master Shoe Crafters that were in Charge of the shoe floor there. Sadly Shaw went under the same as most other Shoe Companies in the 1960's.
I am going to be offering a service soon as my vendor status is for, of cleaning, conditioning, stretching and polishing shoes or boots. I will also have a sole protector cover to apply on any soles of shoes or boots that are smooth leather. Not a Topy sole, but one that is more supple and a bit more traction. I have to put together a presentation and some pictures to post in the Merchants section soon.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am finally up and running now on my shoe care, repair, conditioning, stretching, for boots and shoes. Anything your shoe or boot may need, I most likely can do for you. You can read more in the Merchant section of the forum.

some 1940's Cap Toe Foot-So-Ports. These have 7 eyelet lacing, a built in support for the side of the ankles to keep your foot straight in line with the shoe when you walk. They are Nice smooth tight leather on the Cap Toe part, and the rest of the uppers are Kangaroo leather.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG2771_zpscwlpx73o.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG2787_zpsmxs5vmrb.jpg.html] [/URL]

willyto

One Too Many
First post and a wall of text, sorry!

A couple of months ago I bought these George Webb Veldtschoens and there isn't too much info about the shoe or the maker online.
Many of you seem to be quite familiar with vintage shoes and I was wondering if someone could help me age these shoes. They're quite similar to these which were marketed as being from the 1940's. The markings on the side of the shoe are in a different order but the "667" style is the same and that "6-89" marking is the same. The "welted Veldtschoën by George Webb" stamp is identical. IIRC the production ended in the early 80's.

The shoes definitely feel as well made and sturdy as the shoes of decades past described by some of you. They feel a lot more rugged than my Red Wings or other new "heritage work boots" I've handled. Unlike those linked shoes above these have been used to some extent based on that these have been re-heeled and top soles have been added. The uppers are in much better shape than my 2 year old Red Wings for example.

Were any George Webbs made with "zug" / "heather gorse" leather? The pebbled grainy leather of these is a lot thicker and hardier than the country calf on my Cheaney Pennines or the leather on my vintage Frank Wright silver stud veldtschoens. After i took the pictures i have been oiling the shoes quite heavily and the leather has gotten more supple and darker.

Any info appreciated!

[...]
album with bigger pictures

I think they might well be Zug leather because I've seen an auction for another pair and the guy in the description talks about it and I have also seen a pair made by Alfred Sargent in the same style that is Zug leather. Maybe it's the type of leather everyone uses for this particular style.

George Webb Veldtschoen Martin Zug grain shoes

I'm usually an UK 8 shoe size but also have a pair of Red Wing Foreman Chukka in UK 7.5 . How is the fit in this particular shoe? I found a pair in 7.5 UK and my feet measurement is 26,5 cm long but I'm worried they might be too snug or small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21