Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Terylene/Dacron ties!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Although not necessarily 'true' vintage, Terylene ties came about in the 1950s and were still made into the 1960s, when other variants of polyester fibre started to be introduced. They were a modest alternative to silk or wool, and had a brief period of popularity.

I for one love Terylene ties, and have a fair few knocking about. They're resilient, bright, and don't crease or crumple like silk or rayon can. They're usually very stiff, and quite distinctive from other materials (e.g. you can often stand them on end!).

Here's some to get us started:
Some pretty classic fifties style ones, with a skinny black Tootal 'Grosvenor' thrown in with the rear views. The brighter blue one seems to show the typical Terylene label.

That blue and red is from a shop in Dublin originally.

And here's some later ones. Some classic 1960s ties. A 'Grenville' in immaculate condition, a finely woven 'Golden Tassel', and a 'Favourite Tie', which I like for its charming built-in shirt-clip.

Thanks for looking folks! I'd love to see some examples from other countries! Hopefully this will pique the interest of more than just a few dedicated Brits! ;)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
A couple of nice ones there Eddie and yes you're right they can be quite stiff, I particularly like the ones that are woven.
On the whole they last well and wash well the only real problem is the over zealous ironer!

Guess I should have picked this one up ... :(

Bob

Terylene_1.jpg Terylene_2.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's another. It's interesting that these early Dacron ones are constructed in the older fashioned untipped method. They feel a lot like a cotton/wool blend- that summer tie feel like old Priestlys non-crush or Palm Beach. A very different feel from the Terylene ones (which I have around here someplace, just a matter of digging through the racks and boxes). I don't find them around too much. I suppose they were transitional to the full on doubleknit polyester we all know and hate, a brief period where it wasn't so bad.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It was an unlined 2 button, notch lapel in a mid gray. Probably late '50s. Nothing fancy, but summer wear has always been a bit sparse in my wardrobe so I was happy to find it. I had to sell it a little over a year ago, it just didn't fit anymore.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Dug out some more of mine. The first set are Tootal 'Gold Quality' ties. Not bad ties, although the weaves do tend to 'pill' a bit.

These three are probably my favourite Terylenes that I own. 'Kingdum Meakers', 'Vivax', and an 'Austin Reed'. I find that they make a great tie knot, that doesn't resist like other fabrics. Just slides into place and sits there.

Another Tootal - 'Silver Quality'. Again, pretty nice. The black tie I've posted because it seems very similar to the ones Dinerman posted. It feels like a lightweight wool really, and completely different to the other Terylenes. If it didn't have a label I would have put it down as wool, no doubt about it. I assume it would be slightly earlier?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko