Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Kimberly

Practically Family
I will join in on the fun since I did so well today. I posted this in the Powder Room but wanted to show the guys how worth it it is to get to those yard sales!

I did very well again today and sort of have a mini haul of purchases. Someone had a vintage yard sale and I was there at 7:30 before anyone else. Most of the stuff was 60's, but I managed to find quite a few things.

Number One:

50's Party Dress for $10.00
50sgown.jpg

Number Two:

I am guessing 30's opera cape for $20.00. The lining is like this white cotton I have never seen up close before,

operacloak.jpg

Number Three:

40's dress that looks magnificent on! This was also $10.00

bluewhite40sdress.jpg

Number Four:

I am guessing 30's or 40's pegnoir set for $10.00. The fabric is like nothing I have felt before. That is why I am guessing earlier than the 50's which is the era most of my lingerie is and I know what it feels like.

40spegenoir.jpg

Number Five: Signed Broach for $5.00.

flowerpin.jpg

I also got a pink vintage hat and took lousy pictures of it and am too tired to go back and do it again.

Onto yard sale number two now.

I got this green lace dress for $1.00. It is not my style but I couldn't pass it up due to the fabric. There is also major damage to the lace so I thought this would be a good project for me.

greenbrocadetwo.jpg

Yard sale number three resulted in a velvet cape for $2.00

velourcape.jpg

Finally yard sale number four. They had a bunch of patterns and all were the 60's or 70's except for this one. I searched twice because I was going to pick them up for the ladies here. This cost me a dollar.

pattern.jpg

Regarding the pattern above. I am going to have a giveaway here on it. I will draw a name and whoever my son picks can have the pattern FREE!. I only ask that those who are going to definitely use it enter and that they don't buy it for resale. I will work out the details later as I am far too tired now. I spent the better part of last night taking photos of vintage inspired clothes I am going to put on eBay because I have run out of closet space. :eek:[/QUOTE]

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
Kimberly great thread!! I am always collecting from yard sales, thrift stores, and estate sales! Here's one of my favorite finds from a yard sale. My boyfriend saw it as we drove by. I wasn't paying any attention!!:eusa_doh: So we turned around and bought the table and six chairs for 75 bucks! :eusa_clap I had to reupholster the chairs but we bought the set from the original owners who got it in the 1950's. I have since learned to pay better attention when going places! hahaha

kitchen-1.jpg

Oh I love that table set, you are so lucky! I love the bright red and your kitchen looks fabulous. What a bargain too.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From a couple of weeks ago:

Alexander Julian (not 'Colours') 3" ties:

p1010519os2.jpg

Barbour moleskin gamevest w/suede shoulder patches (Made in England):

barbourgamevestoe5.jpg

Orvis tweed trousers, plain front, thankfully lined to the knee:

orvistweedtrouserszi1.jpg

All the above from the same thrift shop for about $10 total.

My wife also picked up two double breasted herringbone overcoats, both with velvet collars, clearly from the same donater, for $23 for the pair:

velvetcollartanwe1.jpg

velvetcollarcharcoalxc6.jpg

All of that will be great for the two days next winter that will be cold enough to wear it. :)

Feraud

Bartender
A great thread. We get so used to shopping on EBay that we miss the bargains under our noses.

The following are all thrift store/flea market finds.

scan0119.jpg

This Style Manor 2 pc. suit is dated 1956.
DSC00345.jpg

Picture6068.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
These are finds from my local Goodwill from the past two weeks...

Can't find any decent ties anymore. I only bought these three because I though they should go to a responsible owner...:)

1-2.jpg
[/IMG]

A nice, big Tiki ashtray...

2-2.jpg
[/IMG]

A heavy bronze bookend...only one:(

3-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't ask me what was going through my mind when I bought this. A nearly four-foot wide three dimensional plastic kitchen wall hanging that show the best in 1970s tackiness. It should make a good gag gift...:D

4-1.jpg
[/IMG]

This old snapshot was just laying on the floor and the cashier gave it to me. That stick propping up that wire??? Oh, the mystery...

5-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Kimberly

Practically Family
I am so happy to see this thread coming back to life again! Now that yard sales and flea markets are upon us, I am expecting to see this thread grow quite a bit.

Here is a 40's blazer I picked up at a flea market yesterday for $3.00!!!

yellowdresshairrolls.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I usually don't find very much at garage sales but I did find 4 WW2 German zeltbahns at one for $5. They had been massacred postwar by a civilian, sewn together to create one monster tent. Now the task of putting them back to original condition. So far I have one back together, it is dated 1943.

DSCF0563.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Not a Thrift Store/Yard sale find. Just a . . . find. Literally! I found it leaning against the curb while riding my bike. It's a Welby. I don't know the era. Don't know if it works, either. It takes a D-cell, but it's kinda rusty back there.

WelbyClock.jpg

But this one I did find at a yard sale. I think I paid five dollars for it. It's an Ingraham Eight Day Broadcast. With a little oiling, it started working just fine. But the ticking is VERY loud and actually keeps me awake.

IngrahamEightDayBroadcast.jpg

I love clocks and pocket watches.

Lee

I finally did it, Nick! Actually following your directions worked! :D

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I used to use a liquid rust remover & all it would take was dipping a Q-tip in it & dabbing it on. That would be perfect for your clock, but I can't remember the name. I think it might have been that CLR stuff, but it worked great.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
While out bike riding yesterday morning I came upon a nice yard sale and found a few things: an excellent 1960s white formal dinner jacket, a unique vintage hand-painted tie and some cool pulp fiction...

jacket.jpg
[/IMG]

tie.jpg
[/IMG]

book.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeeze! Now that's a yard sale! I never find anything that good.:(

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I got this at a yard sale a couple weeks ago. I think I paid $10 for it. I'm planning to give it to my husband for his Bday on Tuesday. We'll keep it in the game room.

100_2002.jpg

These wallhangings I found at a thrift store on Wednesday. They were in a box marked "Free". Can't beat that! They're about 15 inches tall and made of plaster. They're not exactly my style, so I'm going to give them to my brother. He's more into the swinging 60s bachelor pad stuff.

100_2030.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana