Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Here's another tie I recently picked up. I really have to stop collecting.. 1940s hand-tailored tie with a pheasant pattern. View attachment 110209 View attachment 110210
Gotta love the gamebird ties. That's a reallynice one. Cool colors and graphics, and the repeating pattern steers it away from the kitsch (not that I have a problem with kitschy ties, obviously). Great find.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

thepurplesunshine

New in Town
Here is a authentic vintage 1920's 1930's tie from olympics games in Paris France
4ifn8h.jpg

2jfhmds.jpg

This one is awesome!

Bugguy

Practically Family
I'm still trying to understand the nuanced world of vintage ties. Looking at FL, Ebay and Esty, I'm beginning to appreciate the differences. I like the bold, geometric patterns of the older Palatina brand. As I'm pawing through the tie rack at Goodwill, I'm suddenly seeing things that are starkly non-Goodwill'ish... in among the $1.99 and 2.99 ties (I can't tell them apart), are $19.99 ties!

Here are the back side of two of them as an example - the original price tags are attached. Are these something special?

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 7.21.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 7.19.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 7.21.04 PM.png

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
I'm still trying to understand the nuanced world of vintage ties. Looking at FL, Ebay and Esty, I'm beginning to appreciate the differences. I like the bold, geometric patterns of the older Palatina brand. As I'm pawing through the tie rack at Goodwill, I'm suddenly seeing things that are starkly non-Goodwill'ish... in among the $1.99 and 2.99 ties (I can't tell them apart), are $19.99 ties!

Here are the back side of two of them as an example - the original price tags are attached. Are these something special?

View attachment 111172 View attachment 111173 View attachment 111174

I can’t imagine paying over $100 for a new tie.

As for assigning a date those barcodes, dot matrix letters, and plastic tag strings imply late 80s or 90s at the earliest. Though strangely, I can’t find when the price tagging gun was first widely used. It’s a strange device with a needle and wiry plastic strings filling the end.

Though these Kimball tags would definitely imply 50s-70s with the punchcard and string.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimball_tag

Bugguy

Practically Family

As for assigning a date those barcodes, dot matrix letters, and plastic tag strings imply late 80s or 90s at the earliest. Though strangely, I can’t find when the price tagging gun was first widely used. It’s a strange device with a needle and wiry plastic strings filling the end.

Though these Kimball tags would definitely imply 50s-70s with the punchcard and string.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimball_tag

In doing some reading, I opened the door to a Tom James - Oxxford Clothes rant, with a touch of Holland & Sherry 1836, Royal Classic and Filo A'Mano. An opinion piece, but an interesting read. ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Tom-James-and-Oxxford-Clothes-suits-/10000000010525249/g.html ).

My Goodwill has a half-dozen of these ties priced at $19.99 - someone's getting crafty and pricing them at the Ebay asking price. I'm waiting till the red tags are on sale for 50 cents. They're nothing special design-wise, but the fabric and construction are alleged to be exceptional.

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

MondoFW

Practically Family
In doing some reading, I opened the door to a Tom James - Oxxford Clothes rant, with a touch of Holland & Sherry 1836, Royal Classic and Filo A'Mano. An opinion piece, but an interesting read. ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Tom-James-and-Oxxford-Clothes-suits-/10000000010525249/g.html ).

My Goodwill has a half-dozen of these ties priced at $19.99 - someone's getting crafty and pricing them at the Ebay asking price. I'm waiting till the red tags are on sale for 50 cents. They're nothing special design-wise, but the fabric and construction are alleged to be exceptional.

View attachment 111402 View attachment 111403 View attachment 111404 View attachment 111405
This is from the perspective of someone who has had no luck at goodwill: why not try ebay for a change? The beauty of online is finding exactly what you want in record time. That $19.99 could get you two or three wonderful 1940s ties!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Great pattern and colors on that one Michael!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks Dale. It does have some rich coloration. And I seem to be experiencing a resurgence in necktie wearing. Must be the approaching spring season.

Thanks,
Michael

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars

I know one of my first jobs in 1975 was ticketing a row of clothes in a warehouse using those plastic price tags to attach the paper tags. We had one girl stuck the needle in her palm by mistake and pulled the trigger and they had to cut the skin open to get the T shaped piece out. So they were going strong in the Carter years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112