Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Tiki/Polynesian Pop collections: rooms, bars, mugs, etc.

Mike!! That is definitely a worthy collection. Vintage mugs are definitely most where it's at! I have some modern ones too, but it's the vintage ones that got the ju-ju!
Your collection of tiki shirts is to be respected. I've seen, and covet, that green one with the woodgrained fabric and triangle buttons. The blue Spooner with mugs and hangovers is new to my eyes, but it cements your star in the sidewalk of tiki-shirt wearin' superstars. That one is the absolute bomb!!
Hats off to you and your collection man!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

7yhy8uzu.jpg
pu9u3ede.jpg

Saw a few familiar faces in Mikes collection. Here's a few of my tiki mugs. The top ones are variations of a favorite subject of wonderment to me. The bottom row...????, although one of them is identified on back as being from the Kon Tiki restaurant in Tucson. Any readers of Thor Heyerdahl will get the connection.

Last edited:
ahyrapap.jpg

Here's a piece of pure cool I wish I hadn't found while digging in the garage. A tiki ashtray. Lay your cig on his tongue and smoke drifts out his eyes and nostrils. Damn...I'm tempted to start smoking again.

No collection of south seas ephemera would be truly complete without one of these.
gy7uzanu.jpg

Mike can you please post a close up of the pattern on your suffering ba***rd shirt??

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Dale, my little collection pales in comparison to your many examples of Tiki. Like the Moai's too. #1 on my list of mugs to own is a genuine Trader Vic's Suffering ba***rd. Haven't found one in my budget though. I'd love to eventually convince wifey we need an idol totem in the garden. Will do my best to post some better pix tomorrow. Thought I'd posted it in the Aloha shirts thread but guess I didn't.

Last edited:
At some point, I need to try to figure out how to download a few pictures from my collection of tiki. I have really enjoyed looking at the collections of others as I am a huge fan of the world of tiki. I am fortunate that Lady ToE is fine with having a tiki themed room or two in the land of ToE.
:D

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
ToE, here's the official version but there are other ways too:

How do I attach a photo?
Follow these simple steps:

1. Upload your image to a server. You can use either your own ISP (internet service provider) or image hosting sites such as: http://system.freepgs.com; www.fotki.com; or www.photobucket.com.

2. Once you have uploaded your photo and can see it in your browser, put your cursor over the photo and right click. Select properties, which will show you the Internet "address" of the photo. Highlight this address and copy it.

3. To attach the image to a post at The Fedora Lounge, start a post and click on the little image icon -above the text field. A pop up box will allow you to paste the address of your image. When you are finished, Click "ok." The photo will appear with your post. Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon: -

Good luck and get on it!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty sure some of these have been posted elsewhere on the forum but, since we're tiki specific here, here's a few I've managed to pick up over the past 20 years or so. You can tell by the pictures that dusting isn't my strong suit. Love that hula girl dh66. I've been looking for an old one like that for years but can't bring myself to pay the prices most people are asking.

Admirable stash Kahuna!! I REALLY dig the guitar. The big guy is pretty awesome too. What's he made of?

Thanks for the comment on the wiggly hula girl. I scored that at a pawn shop over 20 years ago for $25. I'd hate to even guess what an original goes for these days. My personal Holy Grail has always been one of those old lamps with the hula girl base that has the motorized hips.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Admirable stash Kahuna!! I REALLY dig the guitar. The big guy is pretty awesome too. What's he made of?

Thanks for the comments. I really like hanging out in this room. Guitar is a late 20's Silvertone (Sears) guitar. The neck is too warped for regular playing but works fine for slide and records well. That big tiki is a concrete one that my in-laws brought back with them from the time they lived in Hawaii. It weighs a ton! I just had a hernia operation last week so I guess that door stays open for awhile. :D

Leave that big guy where he stands Kahuna!!
Here's my less cool cousin of your Silverstone.
a2yzana8.jpg
e6yrevuj.jpg

It's a Truetone. Both were made by Kay guitars, Silverstone for Sears and Truetone for Western Auto and Montgomery Ward stores. Both are pretty darn good instruments for "cheap" guitars. My hula decoration is self-inflicted. Yours is 1000 times cooler without a doubt!

Here's kind of an unusual piece.
e5edames.jpg
7uteha3u.jpg

Not really somewhere I would associate with Tiki culture.

Dale, remember the continent Thor Heyerdahl started from?

Indeed I do.
Best I remember, from Heyerdahl's book "Aku Aku", there were some statues found on Easter Island that pre-dated the Moai, of which nearly identical statues were found on the Pacific coast of South America. I can't remember if it was in Chile or Peru.

Last edited:
Indeed I do.
Best I remember, from Heyerdahl's book "Aku Aku", there were some statues found on Easter Island that pre-dated the Moai, of which nearly identical statues were found on the Pacific coast of South America. I can't remember if it was in Chile or Peru.

Right. I am pretty sure it was Chile.
Nice looking Venezuelan dude there, Dale!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21