Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

MikeKardec

One Too Many
My first car just after a great deal of repair and paint etc. in 1979 ...

BeauB20.jpg

Like an idiot I caved into selling it about 10 years ago when I felt I would never have the money to fix it to a higher standard again ... mistake, I could do it easily now. I've tried to buy it back but so far, no luck, and I think the guy who has it would want too much.

After I gave that one temporarily to my sister I built another Mustang as a convertible '68 GT/CS, then a '66 convertible hipo (what would today be called a resto-mod but the term didn't exist then). I also had a '48 Ford Super Delux, a 1970 BMW 2800cs and a '65 Ranchero. Quite a few years went by before I could afford t get back into it or was crazy enough to get back into it. I then had a '66 Corvette for awhiie. All of those except the '48 were my daily driver. I also had a number of cheaply bought street racers in that period, usually big block auto trans Cameros which were disposable if I tore them up. We did a shift kit and installed super low rear end gears and road racing rear tires. Then we just dragged them until they were trashed. Neither of the Cameros would do 90 MPH but they would practically stand on their rear ends like a professionally built dragster and come "out of the hole" unbelievably fast. Whoever you were racing against usually just gave up rather than take the chance of damaging their car trying to catch up. My friend Randy came up with that tactic and it worked like a charm ... it was also dumb and dangerous and we broke some cars that today could have been nicely restored. Youth and intelligence do travel on the same bus!

After a decade (and after screwing up and letting the original Mustang go), the bug me again and now my vintage car is an '73 Alfa ... all those years of being stuck up about V8s, what an idiot I was!

IMG_0691.jpg

and I also have a Land Rover ... though it's currently in pieces again ...

IMG_0423.jpg

I won't have any space left once the LR gets back in the garage but I do keep lusting after a Volvo P1800. I've sort of promised myself not to own a car that can't do 20mpg so my days of muscle car ownership are pretty much over.

p51

One Too Many
I took my 1944 Willys MB to a local airshow last weekend. On Sunday morning, I took a few crew members of an Army HIMARS rocket launcher around the airshow grounds.
The first shot shows how important it was for us to secure the shave ice stand (they usually set us up next to the food vendors which makes lunch easier for us, but their grill smoke dotted all our vehicles with oil through the weekend). You can't see it in the shot, but my carbine is from the first few months of production, has all original early war parts (including the sling).
JeepAndMe_zpsugiel9gs.jpg

In case anyone wonders, the round 'ottoman-looking' thing behind my Jeep is a M1941 mermite insulated food container. I was using it as a cooler. I have two of these very rare (and these days, expensive) cans, one of which has all three of the inserts, which are even more rare.
JeepRamp_zpsdrdd7krb.jpg

Himars_zpseebvrps0.jpg

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
The 4th of July parade in Centralia, WA went really well. I think we had almost 20 MVs in the parade, ranging from a Ford GP to a Humvee. They were all lined up sequentially in order of the year they were made. The crowds love seeing us, especially as no current military units showed up. We traditionally set up in a park early in the morning until noon, go to a member’s house (stuffing all the vehicles into his back alley) but a big cookout, then to the parade. It’s usually a good time and we weren’t dying from the heat like last year.
This is just the WW2 Jeeps that were lined up in the park for the display early that morning:
WW2%20Jeeps_zpslv6xxrsc.jpg

These are some shots of the WW2 vehicles lined up in the alley while we were having lunch, before the parade:
Alley2_zpsuubdpxib.jpg

Mine is way in the background on the left, with the one guy leaning on it:
Alley1_zpsvlcmviwr.jpg

Alley3_zps7lfyk0eg.jpg

This is mine, in front of the GMC 2 ½ ton:
Mine_zpswnf6y1es.jpg

No photos from the parade itself as I was busy keeping an eye on the kids darting among our vehicles trying to pick up tossed candy (I don't toss candy at parades), an eye on the gauges as well as focusing on the start-stop-start-stop-start-stop-start-stop-start-stop-start-stop nature of parades in this part of the country...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thought I would show my find here, since you people will probably appreciate them! I was at a guys garage today, when I noticed these items on a shelf. I asked about them, he said the badges were replicas, for a project he sold off. He was impressed that I knew what they were, early badges for a 260 powered AC Cobra! A couple of hours latter, and a little lighter wallet, I found them going home with me. Now if I can just get the car to put them on. An original early 260 is millions of whatever currency you chose, out of my league! Maybe a Slabside 289 kit car? The album cover is in great shape, will have to frame it. Does any one know whether that is Dan Gurney, or Phil Hill at the wheel of CSX2128? Trivia, after it's race career, the car was driven by one Ronald Reagan, in his last movie roll before he became Governor of California. I noticed there is a die cast model of No. 15, thought I would buy one, then I saw the price! I also saw one of my emblems on the internet, wow, am I ever lucky!
DSC_0015_zpsw5ac5vv5.jpg

Dang Greg -- how does that happen? I have 50K on a 2009 and I thought that was low. My wife would have racked up 200K on a 2002 by now.

About the only way it ever happens, anymore. Belonged to a relative who fell ill and just parked it. Had it for a couple months now. Had 10,300 on it when we got it and still had the new car smell.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
We have a 1990 Chevy 2500 that has about 30,000 miles on it. It was bought and driven to the ranch in 1990, and I don't think it's been more than 10 miles away since then.

The '01 F-350 has 230k on it, the '97 F-250 has 184k.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My neighbor has a 1983 Toyota 4X4 truck with the great seven foot bed. I think he may have finally rolled up 80,000 miles on it. He put most of those miles on before he retired, now, I don't think he puts 500 miles in a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112