Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • 60s

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.7%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.6%

• Total voters

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got this late last summer. It's a '63. This was the day I brought it home.

View attachment 71900

This is what it looks like now. I am about to finish up installing door cards and carpeting.

20170528_152544_np_800x450.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
MG is a name synonymous with a sporting pedigree. Nowadays the name MG is owned by the SAIC or Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation. The cars marketed in Europe, sporting the MG badge, bare little, if any resemblance, to the cars carrying the famous octagon of yesteryear. Now however, SAIC have come up with a concept car that, if it wins the nod of approval from the company management, could be the MGB of the 21st century.

The plan is to make it either electric or part fossil fuel, part electric, with a plan to go all electric as the technology improves. What do you think? there's a couple of changes that I would make. First the MG roundel on the grille would have to return to an octagon and secondly, I would drop in a three and a half litre V8. Your thoughts? MG-E-Motion-2.jpg MG-E-Motion-3.jpg MG Gross.jpg

...SAIC have come up with a concept car that, if it wins the nod of approval from the company management, could be the MGB of the 21st century.

The plan is to make it either electric or part fossil fuel, part electric, with a plan to go all electric as the technology improves. What do you think? there's a couple of changes that I would make. First the MG roundel on the grille would have to return to an octagon and secondly, I would drop in a three and a half litre V8. Your thoughts? View attachment 86321 View attachment 86322 View attachment 86323
Not a bad looking car; I'd have to drive one to form any further opinions. But my primary concern about it is the same as I have about all electric cars--they're being shoved down our throats as being the next big "Save the planet!" thing, and the technology isn't feasible yet. Many companies are struggling to create an electric vehicle with a range of 100 miles minimum, and they all take six to twelve hours to fully recharge unless you have access to a "rapid charging point". That might be practical for someone with a relatively short daily commute to and from work and/or works for a company that's willing to provide a way for all of their employees to recharge their vehicles during working hours (not to mention needing to have the equipment to recharge two or more vehicles at home), but...well, that certainly doesn't work in this part of southern California where most employers aren't even willing or able to pay their employees a wage they can survive on. And that's not taking into account the fact that most electric cars currently cost at least 30-50% more than their fossil-fueled counterparts; several thousand dollars that most people living here simply can't afford.

Okay, I'll step off of my soap box now. But until electric cars become more feasible, both practically and financially, they're going to be a hard sell in this little corner of the world.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My MG gets lots of comments at shows and festivals, the most frequent though, is not so much a comment or question as a reaction to the fact it's an MG. To that end I have written a journal, with pictures, of the car's adventures. The journal is in a ring binder, it's the one on the left. The smaller one is a condensed version for someone in America.
To display the journal a good friend has made me a lectern, some lectern, folks won't have a problem identifying the marque in future.
Jessica's file 001.JPG Display stand 003.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
MG ended for me in '74 when they slapped those black rubber bumpers on, and jacked up the B and Midget.
You forgot hideous Scotty, hideous black rubber bumpers, so gross. Nowadays, there's quite a market in the UK for rust free Californian MG's, VW Beetles too. Import them back to the UK, do a strip down restoration, add a previous grille & chrome bumper with over riders and sell them on for quite silly money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ